Product Chat / Daily reports that are not daily...

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2016 18:44 Edited at: 5th Nov 2016 18:48
With my Mod hat off...

The Day GG is finished is the Day we just all give up and leave in my honest opinion ..
Even if the list was complete we will always want another feature ...

The main difference here from a product bought online or on a DVD was that it was a crowd funding project still ongoing to reach a goal we all expected and hoped for when we pledged.... I really don't care if we get progress news or not ( although its good to see but not essential )

I would rather have more regular updates to GG even fortnightly, monthly with whatever has been fixed or added no matter how big or small ..
This would at least keep things active .... But that's just my opinion
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2016 20:11
Quote: "The Day GG is finished is the Day we just all give up and leave in my honest opinion .."

You may be right there, lol! Perhaps it's the anticipation of what comes next that keeps us all around! The regular updates would be nice as well vs. verbal progress reports.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
LeighAndrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2016 00:41
I have to agree with the Belidos, Game Guru lacks features that would be standard with most game engines, yes it's easy to use and you can do a hell of a lot in a short space of time, but it for anyone wishing to have a go at making a serious game it's clearly lacking. Yes, you could argue that if you wanted to make something truly amazing you could use Unity etc, but the main reason I like Game Guru is that it's cheap as chips, all the media I buy from the store are decent quality at a low price, you don't have to spend much time scripting and you can put something together in a short amount of time. For one man bands like myself and others this is truly a fantastic piece of software and it's a shame it's lagging so far behind. I have been waiting to start a serious project for a while, the new performance boost is a step in the right direction... of course I don't blame Lee. I saw that there was talk about making Game Guru a third party app for an existing engine... I think that maybe that needs considering, it would certainly free up some of Lee's time
PM
LeighAndrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2016 00:50
Game Guru can do something similar to what Axis Game Factory does, where you can have the ability it import your levels into Unity, but Game Guru can still be used independently and you can still use it without
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2016 19:52 Edited at: 8th Nov 2016 19:57
Quote: "Perhaps it's the anticipation of what comes next that keeps us all around! "

I don't have interest in future investments when past ones are not fore-filled. Never again.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee has updated his thread ..... We have the old random terrain generator back which is great
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2016 20:36
Yeah awesome!

I made a heap of random maps just before it got broken and have been using them, but it will be great to have that working again - maybe it will work even better now.

Reliquia....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2016 08:47 Edited at: 11th Nov 2016 09:14
@Jerry Tremble

Please keep Beta issues in the Beta Thread and not external ....
That's the whole idea of Private Beta Testing ... you test it and report the faults and Lee fixes them before release ..
PM
grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 22:20 Edited at: 13th Nov 2016 22:13
Quote: "Look at my join date buddy, I have been around since the early days of FPSC, I joined 2 or 3 months after FPSC was released. Have a look at the monthly newsletters from way way way back they had a dedicated newsletter editor, lots of products ect.
https://www.thegamecreators.com/archive/newsletters

You still don't get it buddy there is no obligation from any one to provide news, even daily at that.You can disagree as much as you want on this subject, have a look at those news letters from the early days around issue 38 and you will notice some times useless information not even screenshots."

Hey that is pretty aggressive. I also joined in 2006 and was an EA of FPS. The reason I am shown as joining later is because I used a Yahoo email address and that company ceased all UK addresses in 2010. I think I am one of TGC most bought customers having purchased around 75% of everything they have produced (excluding the old store products on FPS). But so what. My point is its not how long we've been here its about being a customer of a company. I have retired now but was MD of a software house that distributed software to over 40 countries worldwide and the customer was King (or Queen)

I like your work Wizard Of Id and usually enjoy your posts but don't try to put a guy down in that way. It really is beneath you.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey that is pretty aggressive."

I agree, and in honesty is not surprising, WID tends to get a bit nasty if you disagree with him, he has form in that area. I've been a member for longer myself, my join date would be about 2000 as well, but some issue went on around that time that meant I had to rejoin. Realgames tools was something to do with it I remember. I hated it at the time as I had to pick a new username and was quite happy with the one I had, Sentient.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes sometimes this type of thread can get heated but I agree that's no excuse for rudeness ..
By all means everyone voice their opinions but always in a civil way please ..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 19:12 Edited at: 13th Nov 2016 19:23
I actually can't recall the time I joined the website. it was indeed before the account I'm using now. I used to poke around with Dark Basic. Was my first introduction to game development with 3D elements. My guess is maybe the year 2001 or so. I probably wasnt registered at the time but kind of just floated around the product page and community. I remember the website itself impressed me as a junior web designer at the time. Before Dark Basic I was making games in mostly DOS based software and early windows applications. I produced dozens of ASCII text based games and a couple unreleased games i made in QBasic.

One notable game I worked on that did reach a couple thousand downloads was a Super Mario game I recreated completely in ASCII text in DOS. I would change each letter off the 256 character limit into parts of sprites. Color each letter separately off from a 16 color limit. Hand draw ever pixel. There was this huge investigation to see if all the initial screenshots for it were faked in the DOS gaming community. I found that to be quite amusing and in a way a big compliment. 1 or 2 bit super mario game:

I was coming from a poor family with aspirations a bit bigger than the tools I had in front of me at the time. I'd go to the business district with my father and we would collect computers and computer parts that the businesses didn't want or need anymore. Sometimes they would employ me to stock their shelves in order to receive parts. This started when I was about 12 years old but continued till I became a teen. We'd constantly be upgrading our computers for the sole purpose of either playing games or making them. As for myself I've always been interested in making games more than actually playing them. I guess in a way this is still the case, only not poor, but still hoping to make that one title worth marketing. Just to get that sanctification that something I produced is widely played.

I just truly hope that GG doesn't fail to meet expectations, because I've been around so long and truly believed in the team and company behind it. As I have with every product they've ever produced. The reason why I get so vocal about things is because I invested in this project. time and money, always at times when I didnt have much. I've bought every product. Even GameMaker and Doodle. I was there from the beginning like quite a number of you. I remember when we asked for FPSC Reloaded/GG and now its here and its not too far away from actually meeting its goal. I just hope not too many years pass by. Because I've been in this situation before in this community twice over with past products (FPSCx9, FPSCx10) attempting to meet the same goal.

Game Guru is the last development tool I will be using from TGC. So Hopefully it doesn't find the same fate as FPSCx10, because that might be my turning point with if I'll say in the community there after.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

Attachments

Login to view attachments
grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 22:12
Thanks Teabone I enjoyed reading that and good luck with any future games
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 22:49
Quote: "I had to pick a new username and was quite happy with the one I had, Sentient."

Yeah that sucks - I have been around since 2014 although my start date says 2015. I had to change my username from OldFlak to Reliquia because the store downloads would not work with OldFlak on some win10 machines, TGC obviously couldn't work out why, but the issue went on for so long I had to change my name so I could sell stuff on the store. Funny thing is that in my own Tests it worked fine with Reloaded, just not with the GG - Go figure.

Anyhow some of you guys have been around a lot longer than me, which shows dedication.

I would say though that it is good to bite your tongue so to speak if you feel a bit narky when posting.

BOT
Bottom line is we all want progress of some kind. If we can't get updates to the engine then reports of progress would help soooooo much.

As it is this year all we have had really by way of updates are a few Lua commands, and a slight FPS increase - but nothing substantial enough to call progress imo. DLC is not progress no matter how big the package is.

Reliquia....

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 23:34 Edited at: 14th Nov 2016 23:35
Quote: "I would say though that it is good to bite your tongue so to speak if you feel a bit narky when posting. [quote=]"

I have found ime doing this,i get a post ready and read through again before i post now (most of the time ).

Dave
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I would say though that it is good to bite your tongue so to speak if you feel a bit narky when posting. "

Yes I agree, although it can be difficult on occasion (I can be narky at the best of times unfortunately, although I tend to need a reason). I'm not someone who deride or attack people without cause. I generally play nice, but when I see people attacking others, I tend to stick up for them. Especially if I have encountered a similar thing in the past (I've been here an long time and have a good memory, mostly). When someone adds buddy to their comment, they are obviously not being friendly. The join date comment was unneeded.

I think WID's work is exemplary, he is a skilled 3D artist and can design a nice looking level/game. I also think Belidos is doing some good stuff and although he is new to the scene, he deserves a bit more respect than he was given here. I'm fine if people want to pull me up on being nasty, but here I was merely defending a fellow GG user who I didn't think deserved the acidic buddy comment amongst all the rest. If people disagree about something, best bet is to explain why without getting personal. However, once it gets personal I tend to bite back, even in other peoples defence.

All that said I tend to agree with most WID's posts when they are not directed at people in a negative way. I just hate the superiority he seems to exude at times. It's not pretty or helpful, regardless of who is right or wrong. Can we just agree to disagree on occasion?

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 06:03 Edited at: 15th Nov 2016 07:31
Guys, thanks for defending me, it is apreciated, but can we let it drop please.

I'm not upset about it, I don't think he was meaning to be nasty, when posting an a forum its hard to get your intent across, and sometimes people can sound harsher than they mean to be (i've been a victim of that many times), especially if English is not your first language.

The word buddy is an especially irritating one, by definition it's no different than calling someone friend, pal, mate etc. it's not a spiteful word, however us native English speakers use it spitefully as a sarcastic, acidic word when said in a certain tone, there's no way of telling the tone here, and if you're not a native speaker of English it can be easy to use it innocently without realising.

Wizard is a good guy and I'd like to think he wasn't trying to be nasty, just trying to get a point across.

Thanks again guys, but let's just get back on topic, and leave the bad feelings where it belongs .. on online gaming forums

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2016 06:27
Lee has updated his blog....

Quote: "
25th Nov 2016
The internal beta testers have been pretty active and found lots of juicy issues for me to fix, so energy has been placed there to ensure the next V1.133 release is a good one. Most users reporting a performance boost as well, which is nice.

* Fixed issue of game running slower after a saved game reload
* Updated Classic Character Scripts (from expansion pack) thanks to SmallG's scipting talents!
* Prevented sky messing up when save standalone (removed auto NIGHT export for now)
* Now saves out textures from internal ELEPROF and parent ELEPROF data (MMS level textures)
* Shifted 'graphicsmediumgrass=high' and 'graphicshighgrass=highest' for better export in SETUP.INI
* Added code to TITLE.LUA to reinstate the auto-title-music feature, add TITLE.OGG to DEFAULT folder
* Fixed issue of distant path-based AI stuttering by allowing ALWAYS ACTIVE to work within AI system
* Also increased AI deactivation range so that the stutter is never seen (3000 now same as GG range)

"
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2016 06:41
Wonderful
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 TGC Assets - Store Link

OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2016 09:20
This is looking like a nice little update.

Small fixes and tweaks like this would be nice to have, at least once a month, rather than waiting months on end for one big additional feature.

Lets hope this one is put up soon and more like it come in quick succession thereafter.

Long Live GG

Reliquia....
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2016 13:26
Quote: "* Updated Classic Character Scripts (from expansion pack) thanks to SmallG's scipting talents!"

Thanks mate!

I'll keep an eye on the chimeney.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 03:26:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 03:26:22