Work In Progress / Cowboy Shootout 1.2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I recently found a need to put more stuff into my game since it seemed like mere repetitive frag-fests. I found a need to add situations where the player needs to find some other objects to help the player get through the game.

I put a large wooden wall and gate in a level so the player needs to get a key to open the gate to get out of the town (see pictures below)... I found some scripts from smallg that makes enemy characters drop items when they die. The player can then pick up those items. The script is at this link:

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/207801?page=12#msg2540276

I was also thinking of adding another feature in another level so the player needs to get a horse to ride, so they can ride away quickly to get out of a deadly situation.

There will also be other things to come in the future.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2017 00:53 Edited at: 23rd May 2017 00:58
The last few weeks I have returned to working on a large level that is more like an open world, where the player can walk in different directions to go to different towns in order to eventually reach their goal at the end of the game...

I have also begun to add some more realistic grass to enhance the players game experience (see the pictures below, and the dry grass in the TGC store - https://www.tgcstore.net/pack/10503 ).

Attachments

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2017 16:45
I like the rocks in the background very realistic.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Granada,

If you are talking about the mesa and the brown rock formations in the distance, I think that is the skybox from mega-pack 1. It's called "desert pack sky3" (see the picture below).

I really like that sky-box background... I think it looks very good and very realistic. I also think it adds the perfect look for my game.

Attachments

PM
Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking pretty awesome! I was watching some old western movie the other day. And men were having to shoot there way out of a building that was being surrounded by The LAW. You see that a lot in these type of movies. You should make a mission like that in your game? You shoot your way out the back door and get on a horse to escape? Just some thing to go with. You could come up with all kinds of cool thing, That you need to achieve before you can leave. Like finding a map and some gold maybe? And a key or an ax to open the door to escape? If you run upstairs there could be a scoped rifle laying on a bed. You could then have some sort of sniper mission? You need to kill a certain number of enemy's? Lol Okay I'm done. Sorry I can get a little carried away. Anyway Great work so far!
Jim C
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the compliments Blacknyt46...

I discussed some of this with Milanko89 and we had similar ideas like yours. I starting to work on some levels similar to what you mentioned. I like your idea of a shoot out at a house and the player needs to run out the back of the house and ride away on a horse.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2017 11:04
A wild west based game is not going to be complete without a train robbery level!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Turn the blood off
I know its on default but its really starting to look Old fashioned and cheap now .... I think its time it was gone IMHO
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
@ AmenMoses - A train robbery level sounds like an interesting idea...

@ synchromesh - What blood should be turned off and how do I do it? Is that when the player is injured and the screen turns red?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes you can do it in the Effectbank \ Reloaded \ and edit the settings.fx.
Look for this line ...
//#define NOCOLOREFFECT // PE: Disable color effect, like: screen going red when you die, or you have little health.
Remove the //
You still get the heartbeat that can be replaced with a silent sound but that's not so bad .... The red screen just kills the look of the game for me but of course its up to you
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2017 22:28 Edited at: 7th Jun 2017 22:30
@synchromesh

I have noticed that sometimes if I get stuck on a red screen for a long time in the game, it can be annoying... Thanks for the information on how to take care of that... I really appreciate the help.

It might be interesting to see if a script can be made to make the red fade after about 5, 10, or 20 seconds... I'm not so good at scripting, but it would be a nice type of special effect.

Hmmm... So I no longer need to put up with this kind of red screen (see picture below)...

Attachments

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2017 23:14 Edited at: 7th Jun 2017 23:15
You can get the screen to fade away faster by adjusting the health recovery speed in the start marker properties ....
Check out the recovery settings in big escape ... the red screen fades quite quickly ....But persoanally for me its just an unrealistic effect anyway if your trying to create a serious game ...
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2017 23:25
I never liked the red screen from the start.i think it should be of by default and enabled if needed.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
You folks have given me some good stuff to consider...

Thanks synchromesh...

Thanks granada...
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 02:35 Edited at: 14th Jun 2017 02:37
Since Weapon Welder is now free (thanks to Bored of the rings), I have considered adding some more weapons to my game... I'm finding it difficult to add the weapons I want, and it looks like I will need to use fragmotion also...

I'm trying to work with Cosmic Prophets western pack so I can get a Winchester rifle and maybe some other stuff too... I would like to add dual pistols and possibly add a stick of dynamite to throw at enemy characters.

It looks like it will be a daunting task, which might take a long time to complete...

Attachments

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 09:16
Nice idea Len the man,you might want to have a chat with bugsy.he might be able to offer some advice ,he is doing a lot of work with weapon animation at the moment.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks granada,

That sounds like a good idea... I'll check with Bugsy.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2017 12:03
Just overlooked this thread and it looks very cool ! Keep it up ! I really like it
Modder, Soundtrack Composer and now Game Developer. Well, sort of.

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti

Youtube:
(Music Channel) The German Music Dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeutscherVolker
(Games and Mods Channel ) DK Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqwvScXnJL_zNYqSsfTCqA

Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2017 00:37 Edited at: 29th Jun 2017 00:37
Thanks Duchenkuke...

I have been dealing with some difficult issues in the game making process, but it's not impossible to overcome... it just takes more hard work, ingenuity, and working with some other talented folks to get the job done...

Sometimes I end up with good pictures to show other people, like the one below:

Attachments

PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2017 02:51 Edited at: 16th Aug 2017 02:52
I'm still working on this game, and recently improved the grass and added more grass with ground clutter in my big open area level.

Attachments

PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
The summer heat has made me loose my motivation to work on my game, but now I'm getting back into it.

I have started working on a level where the player needs to make their way through canyons (as you can see from the pictures below. I will be continuing to work on this level for a while.

I plan on making some other levels with stuff that some other folks have recommended. I hope to start this work soon.

Attachments

PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2017 18:50 Edited at: 25th Sep 2017 14:06
Hi Len
Love what your doing here m8 dont see many westerns so it makes quite a nice change while going through my mapbank i came accross this and thought it maybe of some use to you, it was a temporate map so ive dropped into it and changed it to a stock desert map as i know you will have the assets (you can change this to what you like) Mapping for me takes ages so it might save you some time its a mountain trail on a big map spanning from ground level over the first set of mountains and ending on climbing another, might be of use to you m8 have a looksee.
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on

Attachments

Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Honkeyboy,

Thanks for the map... it looks very detailed... I just loaded it up and checked it out and it looks fantastic. It also looks like it would be a long walk to get through those mountains. I might need to use this one...
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 14:12
Welcome Len what i found to be a handy trick with this map is span it over two maps 1 reverse to the other that way when you climb the mountain trail at the back to the top you can then zone in back at the top to come down as if you had actually climed the mountian anyway m8 have fun with it
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2017 12:33
Quote: "The summer heat has made me loose my motivation to work on my game, but now I'm getting back into it."

Couldnt get anything done in the summer either.^^
You know you watched too many of Lee's Live Brodcasts when you're at work and have an earwig from his twitch intro music....

By the way, I am a Modder, Soundtrack Composer and now Game Developer. Well, sort of.

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti
Find some my work onYoutube:
(Music Channel) The German Music Dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeutscherVolker
(Games and Mods Channel ) DK Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqwvScXnJL_zNYqSsfTCqA

Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2017 21:29 Edited at: 6th Nov 2017 21:30
I have had some good inspiration lately, and I have been getting some good level designing done recently...

I finally figured out how to do some stuff that I have wanted to do for a long time. I have re-worked some scripts, and put some other scripts in the game to make it a more pleasing, smooth, and fun experience for the gamers.

I'm also looking over a lot of ideas that I and others have dreamed of these last few months, and I'm going to try to build some of those things. At this time I'm building a practice level to put at the beginning of the game to practice using the magnum revolver so inexperienced players can get a good feel of the game before jumping into some heavy action and difficult shootouts.

Attachments

PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 8th Nov 2017 09:49
Talking of terrain, BOTR has released a heightmap importer so you could grab actual terrain from where the westerns are (well were) filmed and import those for your game. Probably could get some spectacular terrain effects going to complement those from Honkeyboy.

Cheers.
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2017 20:34 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2017 20:41
Thanks cybernescence... I might need to try that heightmap importer sometime.

I also recently made an initial practice level so the player can practice shooting and learn to use the keyboard keys to walk around in the game...

I also recently got a script to cap the maximum health points a player can acquire in the game. I set it to 200. However, the player can get health by finding wells and barrels of water, and those can renew their ability to give health about every 20 to 30 seconds.

I also recently changed the splash screen at the beginning of the first level of the game so you can choose to play in easy mode, normal, or difficult mode... and I put it on what looks like an old piece of paper that looks like a wanted poster...

Attachments

PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2017 13:22 Edited at: 19th Dec 2017 00:58
I'm thinking about adding regeneration to this game?

I was thinking of regenerating 1 health point for every 1 to 3 seconds on most levels of the game. There will also be re-spawning health packs in different places such as barrels of water, and wells so the player can get a drink and refresh themself... and a short time later they can come back for another drink.

Attachments

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 16:45
Still moving forward with this I see,looks better every time I visit

Dave

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2017 22:21 Edited at: 27th Dec 2017 22:22
Thanks granada,

Every time I see good entities, and scripts that would be good for the game, I try to get them and put them in just the right place.

I have been trying to think up good ideas for making new level maps... I'm thinking about making a level map that includes Native American Indians to act as friendly AI to help fight the bad cowboy gang. I'm including a picture of 2 of the ones I made with Fuse and FBX2GG. I might need to make more so I can have a big group to help the player fight a big group of enemy characters.

Attachments

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2017 02:08
You could have a hut up against a cliff ,when you enter you are put into the entrance to a gold mine.just a idea.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2018 21:44 Edited at: 26th Jan 2018 21:48
I have been working on making some new models for the game... I might even use them as friendly AI to help fight the enemy characters.

I have also been working with Make-human as outlined by Pirate Myke at this link - https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219217

I have tried to make a cowboy using Make-human... but I think I might need to change the appearance of the fabric in the cowboy hat.

Attachments

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 09:48
Those characters look awesome! Well done!
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 13:35
Those characters look realy good Len the man,they will fit in well.as you say a little change to the cowboy had is needed to finish him of .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 28th Jan 2018 19:58 Edited at: 7th Jul 2019 00:24
Nice work on those characters! Awesome work Len the man!
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 02:17 Edited at: 29th Jan 2018 02:18
I fixed the way the hat fabric looks on the make-human cowboy... This is what I have so far.

I guess the next big step is to run it through the steps to make it work in GG like Pirate Myke showed at this link - https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219217

Attachments

PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm currently working on building a big western cowboy town, which I'm going to try to make some friendly AI to help fight the bad guys. Many of these buildings are from Cosmic Prophets Western pack that he has now given away for free.

Attachments

PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2018 17:42
Did you see that very nice kit on the store?
https://www.tgcstore.net/pack/11009

I immediately thought of your project when I saw it.
I love cosmic's stuff but despite being free it's still a bit dated and tends to only find it's way in my projects into the background elements.

Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2018 20:08 Edited at: 5th Apr 2018 00:51
The ultimate wild west pack looks fantastic... I have strongly considered purchasing it. I think you're right on all counts of everything you said. Thanks Bolt Action Gaming...

Edit: 4th April, 2018
I just purchased the Ultimate Wild West Pack and it all looks beautiful.
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2018 00:04 Edited at: 3rd May 2018 00:10
I have been doing a lot of work on my game over the last few weeks... I have been trying to finish some maps and add all the needed scripts and entities. I have also been setting up a town with a lot of building from the Ultimate Wild West Pack. I also need to add a few enemy characters to a couple of game maps. I'm hoping that I will soon be able to put these game levels together to make a playable game that's fit for beta-testing, in order to work on any final remaining minor issues.

Here are some pictures of some of the buildings from the Ultimate Wild West pack.

Attachments

PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
I was hoping to use ally scripts (for friendly AI) and grenade scripts (for throwing dynamite), but I currently can't get either one to work. I will still be continuing to work on my last few levels to see if I can get a playable beta version of the game soon.

Grenade script - https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/207801?page=4#msg2495225

Ally script - https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/207801?page=5#msg2500674
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
both very old scripts and we have grenades in GG by default now so i would just use those
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2018 02:39 Edited at: 5th May 2018 02:50
Wow thanks for the tip about the grenades smallg... I guess I was a little bit behind the times, because I have been using GG V1.14 since everything after that seemed kind of buggy. I have also been trying to get the team AI to work well, but I guess that might be somewhat old also.

Edit:
I guess now I need to figure out a way to change the grenades into dynamite.
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I think I finally got the ally script to work when I restarted with a simple flat map....

I worked a lot with the dynamite and grenades with fragmotion over the weekend, but had no success there. Fragmotion looks like good software, but it seems very difficult to use.
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2018 21:26 Edited at: 15th May 2018 21:29
It took a lot of work but I finally got some new Fuse Characters.

It took a lot of work, a lot of experimenting, and a lot of looking around the forum to get a lot of answers, but it worked out. I used the Blender 2.78 decimate tool, and some other things to get the models to look right and act right.

Attachments

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2018 01:41
Ride to town, shoot em up and keep on going
Cause I got a job to do and I don't stop for no one
So get your gun, and kiss your wife, and lock up your daughter
WERBUNG

Don't let her fall in love with the pale rider

Many men have quickly found I'm unforgiving
They say dying ain't no way to make a living
So get your gun and bet your life, if you're a gambler
You draw a dead man's hand against the pale rider

And I walked down into Mexico
What I came for I think you know
I take another life, it's all the same
It's one more killing to the man that has no name

So ride to town, shoot em up and keep on going
Cause I got a job to do and I'll be gone come morning
So get your gun, and kiss your wife and hug your daughter
Tell her you're off to meet the pale rider
Don't let her fall in love with the pale rider

And I walked down into Mexico
What I came for I think you know
I take another life, it's all the same
It's one more killing to the man that has no name
It's one more bullet to the man that has no name
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Great song...
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2018 02:10 Edited at: 24th May 2018 02:12
Last weekend I worked about 30 hours on the game. I experimented with allies and team combat, and I also started working on ways to get some of the extra clothing items made by folks in the Makehuman community and how to get them into Fuse 1.3 and I finally got it to work.

After a lot of work from several pieces of software and material made by Elvaerwyn at the Makehuman community, we have a few more characters... The Native American feathers head band needed to be crossed over between several pieces of software. Starting in Makehuman (which the feathers were made for), then to Blender (to resize and alter the location of the feathers), then imported as clothes into Fuse1.3 to be put on the characters, then exported with textures from Fuse as an obj file, then uploaded (as a zip file) to Mixamo, then downloaded as an fbx from Mixamo, then imported into blender again to decimate it to a lower poly-count, then put into FBX2GG to adapt it to be used in Game Guru (and all the steps needed to finalize that).

Here are some pictures...

Attachments

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2018 08:38
So not difficult at all then.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:57:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:57:13