Work In Progress / Cowboy Shootout 1.2

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 16:33
Pleased you are still working away on this,great work.

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi cybernescence,

Yes it's nice to take assets (like a sign), and make as many different signs as I can make from it.

I have made a few more signs (see pictures below) and added to my western cowboy town.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Granada,

Yes, I'm still working on it even though I have been busy with a lot of other stuff.

I am thinking of putting a video of the game on Steam soon. When I put it on Steam, I will try to post a link so you folks on the GG forum can look at it.
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 02:52 Edited at: 9th Jan 2017 02:54
I never thought making a game would be so much work, but at the same time be much fun... LOL...

I have been working on a lot of things over the last few weeks, some scripting stuff (with smallg's help), I also got some help with some FPE file issues, I have been re-working and re-texturing some models to put in the game, I have also been working with Milanko89 on the story line and he has been doing a lot of work with menu's and a lot of other stuff...

I'm attaching some pictures for eye candy.

1. I couldn't find a Barber pole, so I made one.
2. I had to make a piano player model with FBX2GG ... I figured that a good cowboy saloon should have one.
3. I made a bartender model for the saloon.
4. I re-worked and re-textured a model to look like an Elixir medicine bottle to use with a script (by smallg) to give the player an extra life.

Attachments

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 21:18
Lookin' good!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 22:21 Edited at: 7th Jul 2019 00:21
Ooh great stuff! This is coming along. Are you going to stick with realtime shadows or prebaked?
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm... that's an interesting question Landman... I hadn't thought about it much... Since I didn't put in any lights, or dynamic lights, I guess it's all real time for now.
PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 10:19 Edited at: 7th Jul 2019 00:25
Oh yeah! I came across this game recently called Sunset Rangers. If you're looking for inspiration:

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 17:17
LOL, when I saw those mountains I thought, "Oh, no, not another Game Guru game on Steam!" Then I clicked on the link and realized that was definitely not made with GG. It actually looks pretty decent.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 00:59 Edited at: 17th Jan 2017 01:03
I think I saw "Sunset Rangers" recently when I was looking through Steam Green-Light, and trying to figure out how I could put my game on there.

When I saw "Sunset Rangers", I thought that some of the scenery in the game looked nice, but I wasn't sure about the game play, or the story line, and I don't like multiplayer games. I have always liked single player 3-D action FPS games, and that's why I like GG. That's also why I'm trying to make a single player game. I also think good single player games are greatly lacking in our current gaming market, and it's something I want to change.

Even though I like single player games, I might be interested in making a multiplayer cowboy game in the future when GG has the multiplayer feature improved. I'd love to put a town together and let 5 to 10 people have a big shoot out while running all over the place.

- This week I found something interesting to download that would allow Windows Movie Maker to produce videos in HD, so I got it and made a video of some of the stuff in my game so I can put it on Kick-Starter and on Steam Green-Light.

If you wish to view my video, the password is cowboy and it's at this link:

https://vimeo.com/199556931
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 18th Jan 2017 09:50
I like your video though not sure if it's the game the recording or the playback but the in-game shots appear to have a low fps - the video doesn't make the game look smooth. Some more action/combat scenes may help the excitement and the pitch to the audience?

Are you planning to get some beta testing before steam launch - you may have done this already

Cheers.
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks cybernescence, I'll see if I can work on some of the video quality, and in-game action.

I have done a lot of my own beta-testing (and got bogged down in it), but I'm thinking about starting on the section of Steam Green-Light for game concepts or unfinished games.

I'm wondering if the unfinished and concept section is the way to go or not... I'm also thinking of releasing a demo and then I'll finish the game at a later time.

What do you folks think about it? I'd appreciate advice on this subject.
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey cybernescence,

I looked around the forum and found that some cures for low FPS can be turning off bloom and dialing down a few other things... I tried this and wow the increase in the video and game play is great!!! The FPS doubled, and it's a lot easier to turn and shoot the enemy characters now... Thanks for the input... it helped a lot.
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is an updated video with a little more in-game action included:

https://vimeo.com/200760779

The password is cowboy

I also received some help from Belidos to get a menu with game difficulty buttons so anyone playing the game can play in easy mode, medium, or difficult. Check out the picture below to see how the button menu looks.

Attachments

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 08:13 Edited at: 26th Jan 2017 08:14
I forgot to mention, about that difficulty menu, it doesn't adjust the max health, just the current health, so if you set your health in your player marker to 100 and choose easy you will get 300/100 displayed, i haven't been able to work out how to change the max health as the player starter marker overrides the script.

There is a variable referenced in there called g_player_max_health or something like that, it won't actually do anything for you because it's a variable i use in my health pack scripts to stop health packs healing over the max health (i forgot to take it out when i posted it).

You're probably better off making your own health HUD and displaying just current health or making a % based health bar so it doesn't look odd. If you need any help with that give me a shout.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Belidos,

I appreciate any help I can get...

I'm working with Milanko89 on making the HUD's, but we might need some more help with the HUD's, and the scripting for the skill level menu (especially finding a way to set a max health and max number of lives). I played my first 2 levels the other day and I ended up with 400 to 500 health points and about 7 to 10 lives, which seemed like a bit too much.

If you know of some good scripts to help with this or if you know of some good tutorial videos, it might be good to help us get started working on these items.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 21:40
Saw this thread, saw the reference to tumbleweed and couldn't resist quickly throwing this together:

If you are interested let me know and I'll work on it some more to make them a bit more natural looking.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 00:27
Nice tumbleweeds, Amen Moses! I would certainly be interested as the game I am designing takes place in the old west as well. Len the man, take the offer! BTW, they're quite dead (pretty much the color of the weeds in that shot) when they blow across the ground!
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 00:45
I just grabbed the stock one in GG. I need to tweak the script some more, currently they all move too much in sync and don't rotate around the centre properly. Plus I will add a terrain height check in there so they follow the contours properly with the odd random bounce thrown in for good measure, should end up looking quite realistic.

I could probably also add in the odd dust devil, I'll take a look around the decals to see if there is a suitable one I can use.

I was thinking that they could disappear when far enough from the player and move back along the path to a random spot far enough from the player in the other direction and then reappear, if you get my drift. That way you could have half a dozen or so continuously moving past and each time it would be different.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 01:07
Quote: "I just grabbed the stock one in GG."

There's one in GG? LOL, I never noticed. Thanks!
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 01:34
It's in Foliage, I might have a go at lightning the texture tomorrow. Just downloading the mega decal packs as well to see if there is anything I can use in them.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 01:45
Thanks again. I just took a look at it. It's dead looking, but just the wrong color. (They looked kinda green in the video). I live in Arizona, and they are everywhere in the fall/winter! (We used to make snowmen out of them as lawn ornaments for Christmas, until we decided the mess wasn't worth it)
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 02:43 Edited at: 29th Jan 2017 02:54
@ AmenMoses

How did you get the tumbleweed to roll around and bounce like that?

I have been trying to get that effect for months...

Is there a script to make the tumbleweed roll around like it shows in that video?

I have some tumbleweed in my levels but they just move straight in a line, and I have a dust devil in a level of my game...

I would appreciate the help in improving the tumbleweed.

I used the dust-devil that is in the GG store for free... I think it's called mini-hurricane. https://www.tgcstore.net/product/27836
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 12:16
I'll attach the script later on today, I've decided on a simple version where you attach the script to an entity (i.e. the tumbleweed in this case) and rotate the entity to the direction you want it to travel, set the strength to the distance you want it to travel and it will simply tumble along for that distance then move back to the start and do it over again.

If you arrange it such that it starts off behind a building or some boulders then the player wont see it popping into existence.

Once I'm happy with that approach and it looks reasonably natural (we appear to have an expert on here that can verify that bit ) I'll consider maybe adding code to ensure it can't pop into existence if the player would be able to see it.

I like fun little projects like this, especially whilst I'm waiting for Lee to fix the EBE bugs.

I think I'll make a different script for the dust devil effect as that doesn't require rotation.
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks AmenMoses...

That sounds great...
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 20:12

Progress so far, got them on repeat and rotating around the centre of the entity, got the tumble speed matching the travelling speed pretty much. Added random scaling to give a bit of variety.

Next step is to take the model and rotate it in various ways and try to change the texture, for some reason the model in GG has a specular map, when viewed at the right angle it turns more yellowish, I'm going to try removing the specular map to see if that lightens the whole model, failing that I'll try a flat specular map.

First I'm off to get some more beer!
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 21:41 Edited at: 29th Jan 2017 21:45

So here is the script so far and a video showing it in use.

I still have some issues with it and the modelling side defeated me, I tried to rotate the base mesh in Fragmotion and export it as tumbleweed2.X then created an FPE file for it ect, but when I use it in game it is exactly the same as the original. I tried playing around with the _S file (removed it) and it made no difference to how it looks, I tried putting the _D file in paint.net and changed the colours and it made no difference,I hate 3d modelling, nothing makes any sense!

So I suggest enlisting someone who knows what they are doing to change the look of the darn thing, if you want a more realistic look, and I'll stick to the scripting.

So a few things about the script, there are a few variables in it which can be tweaked but basically attach it to an entity, set always active, set strength to the length of the path, i.e. in the video it is set to 1500, roughly (this bit isn't working quite as well as I'd like and I don't know why at the moment) it might be a good idea to set physics off and weight to 0 and occlude/occlude to 'no' as well.

Plonk the entity where you want it to start and set the angle to where you want it to go (i.e. when first set down they will go straight 'up' the map or +Z in axis terms) then just tweak the streangth until they finish up where you want them to. Avoid +90 and +270 Y angles because for some reason that makes them flicker (again I have no idea why at present) , they will follow terrain but again it is a bit jerky when they do (even with collisions off the terrain seems to interfere with the rendering).

Anyhow, have fun.

Attachments

PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 22:26 Edited at: 29th Jan 2017 22:27
I tried it with the settings you suggested and I boosted the strength to 2,000 for the distance, and it looked great in my opinion.

Thanks AmenMoses...

You can see my property setting in the picture below.

I will try to put this in my levels and make a video of it soon.

Attachments

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 22:31
Happy to help out.

I looked online for alternate tumbleweed models and was rather surprised at how much people wanted for them, anything fro $18 to $36, for a single model? Are people mad or what!
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, AmenMoses, I think some of the prices are crazy... I have seen a small number of models that I would like for a small price, but many seem to have prices that are too high.

It makes me appreciate the GG store where a lot of things are sold for reasonable prices, and a lot of stuff here in the forums is free... And a lot of the people here in the forum can actually be contacted and most people here are very nice.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2017 09:18

Getting there slowly, still need to add random 'bounce' and fix the tumble direction but they are looking a bit more natural now (at least what I think is natural having never actually seen one irl).

Have had an idea regarding the dust devils, might give it a go after work.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 31st Jan 2017 09:27
Looks really good, it's a little fast though, they kind of drift rather than blow if you catch my meaning.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2017 09:42
You can change the maximum speed in the script but another tweak I thought of was to have the speed changing at runtime to simulate gusting winds.

I've attached the latest script.

Attachments

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2017 21:25

First go at dust devil script, wish I could persuade Lee to give us colour control over the particles!

(still need to fix the tumbling, some of my tumbleweeds are rotating the wrong way!)
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 02:42 Edited at: 1st Feb 2017 02:43
The tumbleweed seems to roll more smoothly (like a ball). It looks really good, and even more realistic.

That's really good work.

Thanks again AmenMoses.

I like the way your video shows the dust devils kicking up small plooms of dust... It looks good.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 05:44
This is turning out quite nice. Are you using some of the free Wild West classic stuff from the free expansion pack DLC? There should be some stuff in there if you haven't.

You must be pretty excited about the new Red Dead game coming out soon

Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Teabone,

Yeah I used a few of those items from the Wild west pack.

Thanks for the "Red Dead 2" trailer. I didn't know it was coming out soon or that there was a trailer for it.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 02:59
Quote: "You must be pretty excited about the new Red Dead game coming out soon
"

I know I am excited now, lol! (I didn't even know about it 'til now) That trailer looks amazing! I've got a few of them on the PS3. Rockstar does an amazing visual job.
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 04:56 Edited at: 8th Feb 2017 01:31
I have been doing a lot over the last week... such as...

1. Trying out new scripts to turn the flashlight function off (which I found a couple of these scripts).

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215529#msg2549770

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/216458#msg2560319

2. Found some scripts so the player could kill off the enemies to win in a level (using the kill count quest script and special win-zones)

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212930#msg2525824

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/216508#msg2560781

3. Win zones are now set so the levels can be played sequentially.

4. Checkpoints are now set in the levels (so players don't need to go back to the beginning when they die) and I took out the click sound f/x and put in some other sound f/x (that were less distracting to the gaming experience).

5. The saloon shootout was put together... and some shootouts in front of the saloon.

6. Many little things have been polished up (like setting some things to static - yes, and other things to static - no).

7. The picture below was of a character I put in the game... and some walls with new textures that I put together (this was pre-EBE).

Attachments

PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 23:12 Edited at: 10th Feb 2017 23:13
Here is a video I made of the tumbleweeds in one of my game maps. Here's the link:

https://vimeo.com/203526417

Password: cowboy

Attachments

PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Over the past week there has been some good progress on the game.

I have been working with Milanko89, who made a nice new HUD for the game. See the picture below to see the HUD. I like it, and think it looks great.

I purchased a script from the TGC store to put in some scrolling credits.

I have put a few levels together to make a demo of the game, and got it to work in sequence.

Attachments

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2017 02:41
I see your still working hard on this and it shows,good work.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the kind words Granada.

I'm still working on it, and I'm trying very hard to make this a quality game that will make GG look good.

This week I put in new a new splash screen in the beginning (thanks to "Style GURU").

I also put in some theme music at the beginning main menu and at the ending credits.

I also put in a new icon for players to click on to start the game.

I hope to have a demo soon so I can let people play (and beta-test it) and give me feedback.
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2017 12:46 Edited at: 10th Mar 2017 12:56
This week we worked on making a nice new main menu and background for the main menu (mostly the work of Milanko89).

We also have new background pictures to display as the game levels are loading and a nice wide loading bar that is easy to see.

We also put in some new music to go with the main menu. You can listen to the music at the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_660VolAzE

The previous music that was from the TGC store, is now the closing credits theme music.

We have also gone with a new updated name for the game, which is now "Cowboys Nightmare", as you can see in the picture below, that we used for our new splash screen.

Attachments

PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a picture of the new opening menu... This was made by Milanko89 and the art with the cowboy silhouette is from Vecteezy...

Attachments

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 02:37
This is coming along great!
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2017 21:37
Hi,bod has just posted a great couple of stage coaches on he's thread you should take a look.perfect for you.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks granada...

It looks great...

Cosmic Prophet recently released his old cowboy pack also... old FPSC model pack 73.

I'm looking forward to using these goodies.
PM
gd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2017 02:02 Edited at: 17th Apr 2017 02:20
Hi Len the man, I been looking through some of my old HUD's, came across this example that you could use and may come in handy.
I have just upload an example on YouTube. PM me if you want the decals and script.

How it works is the belt buckle has five stars for life's which will get deleted on death one at a time. This will also work on how many life's you setup in the players properties up to five. It also has a health indicator which is the buffalo head and changes colour based on the players health.

The health text is not included only for this example lol
Dark Base 900 Pro OJ: Rampage V Ed.10, i7 6950x non-OC, DDR4-3333 64 GB RAM, Win 10/64, Asus Strix GeForce 1080 x 2 SLI mode, Water cooled with an old Victorian cast iron radiator and a industrial leather belt driven fan - That's what you call Steampunked.

Laptop - M17xR3

A new competition running for GG

Attachments

PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi gd,

That looks nice... It seems to include some nice innovative ideas...
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 23:22:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 23:22:29