Scripts / Oh, and there is this

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2016 23:44
https://vimeo.com/175623167
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
That's brilliant ... Care to share on how ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 12:02
Ok so I wrote a script that puts the player way up in the sky facing down and have the WASD keys move a set distance along x & z coords.

Next I loaded the big escape fpm and deleted all the stuff that would not appear on a map (like plants, rubbish bags, characters etc), using the script described and a snazzy screen capture tool I started in the top left taking a snapshot every move and ended up in the bottom right, IIRC i ended up with 1700 screenshots!

Next I put the screenshots through Gimp in batch mode and cropped each screenshot down to a small tile about 60 pixels square.

So you end up with a big flat map of the level in hundreds of tiny tiles, then all you do is write a script to display the tiles on screen, the bevel hides the new map tiles being displayed and the ones scrolling off being deleted. I intended to created several different bezels and to have knobs and buttons on it.

The hard part is working out all the scaling stuff to get everything to scroll smoothly and not have any gaps or overlapping tiles. I did this months ago and tried to put it up on the store but it was rejected, I then realised I wasn't happy with it and am planning on a re-write to make it work properly at all screen resolutions and ratios, which it doesn't at present.

Of course I am "planning on a rewrite" for all my little projects, I keep getting side-tracked by even cooler things to play with.

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Once its on the store I will buy ....
looks great ... But please add a small demo map so we can see how it works and is setup
Excellent stuff ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 12:28
Well the demo map is the big escape, everyone should have that as it comes with GG.

The reason it was rejected from the store was that it was deemed too difficult for the users to make their own maps as you can see from my description above it is a lot of work and not everyone is comfortable doing things like Gimp batch processing (in fact I could only do it on my Mac, the PC version of Gimp doesn't seem to have it so I'm not sure how to do that step in Windows).

It would be cool if GG could generate a key press trigger under Lua control, if that were possible I could automate the map tile creation somewhat although you should still need a decent screen capture tool (and no the one built into Windows is not really up to the job).

If I do re-write this I will change the way I store the tiles to allow non-square levels to use it.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 12:55 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2016 12:56
There's a new option on the store page for scripts, you can mark them as advanced, that way as long a you have a complete explanation of how to use them you can add more complex scripts like this to the store.

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215618

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 05:31:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 05:31:59