Product Chat / Easy Building Editor: Food for thought

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe the easy building editor could be inspired by this tool? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS4EsLb2kRs

I like how everything is modular, this would be great for the community to be able to build and sell assets on the store that could expand the creative palate for the user.

I understand there are plenty more tasks before the EBE will be worked on, but it doesn't hurt to think about it.
PM
teamhalo
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Gears of War 4
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 17:52
This is very promising, and ideally I hope Game Guru will eventually offer a similar modular development kit for creating structures. My hope is that they expand the functionality for complex shapes and kits, allowing extrusions and mesh editing. Thanks for sharing this.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 18:06
Interesting. Thanks for posting.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 18:21 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 10:42
My word, I'm going to purchase that. How've I not seen that!
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Would this work with Game Guru or just Unity?
Julian
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's something interesting. I think you need a Unity account to download it but you can export to model formats so I suppose in theory you might be able to create something to import to Game Guru:

Julian
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 20:17
Love demolition feature.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Here's something interesting. I think you need a Unity account to download it but you can export to model formats so I suppose in theory you might be able to create something to import to Game Guru"

I have the procore bundle, yes you can export from unity into blender and into GG as I have done it
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool.
Julian
PM
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 23:23
Haven't tried this one yet but it's free and on github. The SonyWWS level editor.

https://github.com/SonyWWS/LevelEditor
gamer, lover, filmmaker
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 17:42
Thanks for some great links and inspiration. With the Easy Building Editor, my hope was to create a solution that could make a building in 'seconds', and specifically to avoid it turning into a 3D modeler. I also want to enable the system to be expandable with additional assets from third parties and also from our own artists to support new themes and styles. I also liked the destructible house video, but this might 'taint' any building you make (i.e. everyone who uses it will be identical collapsing buildings in their game, a real give-away that it was made in GameGuru).

The first version of the tool will be something along the lines of the old Segment Editor, literally allowing a building, corridors, doors and windows to be painted in seconds and a multi-story house created with collision, AI, working doors and smashing windows in less than 60 seconds. It will be no means replace the job of a professional 3D modeler creating awesome new building assets, but it will allow users an alternative to dragging in a pre-made building of which we only have so many. Coupled with the ability to change the texture and adjust the orientation within the level, we should end up with a rapid-fire building maker that's super easy to use. Not everyone's cup of tea, but unless we spend a year writing an entire 3D modelling tool, it will never be everyone's cup of tea. Feedback welcome on this while I work on Save/Load, as the Easy Building Editor is currently next highest on the list.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 18:11 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 10:42
@Lee, if it's the same as the old FPSC segment editor then so be it. I loved the old FPSC editor. Specifically for creating interior sections.

One thing that would make a world of difference is having the ability to select an entire group of segments (which the user has already layed out) and then be able to move them around along the x,y,z axis. You got my vote sir!
SounDesign
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup, yup, yup, Full on Lee, that would be awesome!!!!

Not sure why you're putting in effort on save and load?
There are some perfectly good scripts on the forum (Moshroom_loadpoint.lua etc)

I tried 'em and they work fine...
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 17:19
Because that is what "we" wanted them to do next, it was top of the voting list when he was ready to start the next project. It must have been highly sought after to get to the top, so it must be really important to us to get done.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 17:24
Probuilder, or something like 3D World Studio; would be MOST welcome for GameGuru!
Intel Core i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 18:59 Edited at: 5th Feb 2016 19:02
The segment editor in FPSCx9 wasn't bad. However it was set to a fixed grid which prevented us from setting various heights and so on. Also it wasn't really possible to build on angles.

I do interior and exterior modding for Fallout, Oblivion and Skyrim and they all use a pretty easy to use building editor. Very similar to what we already have in GG. You bring in pre-set walls, roofs and so on and you can snap them together based on a few stages of snapping modes.

at 6:55 into the video you can see what I'm talking about:

The editor allows for your constructions to be multi-level in terms of height and angular or orientation of your halls. Though this relies heavily on the shapes and size of the assets your using. The great benefit is that snapping that makes everything just work seamlessly as described in the video above.

(Additionally at the same point in the video, the usage of way points are described).
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 19:23
I want that waypoint system, to be able to give them multiple directions to go they can randomly choose would be awesome
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Because that is what "we" wanted them to do next, it was top of the voting list when he was ready to start the next project. It must have been highly sought after to get to the top, so it must be really important to us to get done."

This may not be totally accurate.
It would only take 42 voters to select "Urgent" to send a vote category to the top or near the top of the list.
Urgent = 200 points 40 voters selecting "Urgent" = 8000 points cast
Really need = 150 points 54 voters selecting "Really need" = 8100 points cast
Need soon = 100 points 80 voters selecting "Need now" = 8000 points cast
Slightly interested = 50 points 160 voters selecting "Slightly interested" = 8000 points cast
Not interested = 0 points
None of the above scenarios form a majority of the 883 voters who participated in the voting.

I think it was only after several posts urging voters to use the "Urgent" vote category that we began to see these large numbers.
Windows 10,64 bit|AMD FX-6200 Six-core-3.80 Ghz |CPU PASSMARK 6,142 |Memory 10GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 SC |GPU PASSMARK 4,114
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2016 20:02
Hence why I put we in quotes.

Regardless, it was at the top of the list, it was the next thing for him to do, there's no disputing that.
stor
Years of Service
User Offline
[video=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrgjDlQTGYc&list=PL0HxiFYp1sq3QC_ANPf397kou1dJ4dRqc&index=4]
PM
stor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 08:36 Edited at: 6th Feb 2016 08:37
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrgjDlQTGYc[/video]
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 13:30
@ Stor

To upload video in the forum:

You've that link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrgjDlQTGYc

You has to take the value that comes after equal sign (=), in this case: YrgjDlQTGYc

hth

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 20:42 Edited at: 6th Feb 2016 20:51
I've used the unreal editor before and its quite similar to the GECK and Creation Kit that Bethesda uses. GG is very close to having this with its snapping tool. There is some more things it may need.

One thing that I don't quite understand, is why does my indoor levels in FPSCx9 look better than the same indoor models used in GG? While this may be unrelated to the segment editor and more related to shaders. I just was curious about this. Here's an example of an indoor level using segments and bond1 shaders:

And this example which I believe uses dynamic shadows/lighting

I understand however that this may be completely unrelated to a building editor itself. But its something that should be considered since the indoor levels dont seem to have that same... punch as present, in GG.

The Construction Kit for GG wasn't entirely bad. It was just the fact that it worked like you were playing mine craft that bugged me. Unable to use the mouse freely and view the engine window.

MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 23:31
I don't understand you guys most of this could be done with the per set models we have now in the store. I don't think editor builder is a much needed thing now after the save and load. because once we get that we still need characters to walk up and down the stairs in a multi level building and which the models have in the store. I think the editor builder is a big task to do and little things like bullet tracer which will be good to have for the scifi pack so we can have lasers tracers it is in star wars. then the xbox controller which is in guru now but needs to be tested to be finalize. these to things should make it's way to the next update. they small but will be a big impact on guru along with dx11. my point here is we are voting and wanting something that is close to what we have already in the store from the modellers. between teamhalo builds and wizard of id interior level buildings. it is easy to create what we want at this point. editor builder is not going to replace that by much and I know the pre made models are not the same as editor builder but they come close with a wide range of selections and easy to use. I personally plan to buy those models but waiting for character to be able to move up and down stairs. this is the way I see it for next up date after save and load.

Bots to navigate stairs / heights
bullet and laser tracers
xbox controller
dx11
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Clearly there are a lot of valid viewpoints here. As we have a feature voting list user priorities are as they are and subject to TGC priorities too as the developers and I guess the fact that as you can see from the attached Videos users have kindly posted many major Features will relay on many inter related things which need to also be in place which will affect or impact on them or which are needed for new features to be included which may affect the order of how things are included.

Some things may need to be updated too if not put in place anew whereas other things currently existing may not need updating or adding to, so where users feel things are missing already in existing features, they may have to wait until TGC update them - if ever they decide to do so. e.g. water and the mentioned lighting just as examples.

As users we have to run with the majority I guess and live with it whatever individual preferences.

At the moment the new Building Editor and Improved Bots Navigation as perhaps the next major features on the voting list in and of themselves it would seem to me and I may be wrong are a major undertaking as they are inter-related and many other internal systems may affect the outcome apart from their own specific necessary development as isolated features.

....e.g. Physics, collision, navigation, path finding, obstacle avoidance to name a few which may have impact on the end result for both the structures and the AI ability to do what they have to do ("well").

All in all seems like a big undertaking to me if you want to see anything like the expectations as from the example videos shown above. Perhaps a long and difficult task and I would not expect too much from the outcome in terms of how advanced the result will be or if all you may want or expect from them will be realised and apart from the Building Editor tool itself, some of the things like advanced pathfinding and improved AI behaviours are not of themselves as far as I understand it included in the Features but may be somewhere else in separate items in the voting list.

Doubtful that comparisons with the videos above is really relevant here as you will know that those are related to software and companies that have far more resources from all points of view than we are looking to from GG.

Hopefully all will go well and when these features are done to whatever level then more features will be forthcoming and someone else will get what they look for either as a new feature or as an updated one.

As two major Features to come Building Editor and Bots Navigation - lets just have them done and then on to the next and sooner or later everyone will have what they want or not as the case may be. The more done the less to do perhaps and getting there is a long hard task whichever way one looks at it. Everyone has to be in it for a long haul I would think if you wait for something way down the voting list or perhaps not even on it.

System : Advent Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Intel(R). i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz. 8.00 GB RAM DDR3. Storage : 1389 GB : 1088 GB Free (1389 GB Total). Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce GT 530. Total Available Graphics Memory : 4095 MB. Dedicated : 1024 MB. Shared : 3071 MB. Direct X10

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2016 11:43
@MXS-you can use GlovePie for the Xbox controller, works well with GameGuru
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2016 22:45
Lee has already put the xbox controller in guru he just need to finalize it by testing it out. put I'm not going to tell people who wants to play my game with their xbox controller to download some other software. anyway I don't care patience is all I can be at this point. it just looks like another year not using guru for me.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Xbox controller is in the setup.ini you can re enable it I believe by changing Xbox=1 to Xbox=0 ..

The problem is that the configurations varied over controllers ( even official Xbox controllers ) so it was disabled for another day ..
But like I said you can re enable it to try it out ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2016 03:22 Edited at: 9th Feb 2016 03:33
I actually use my Xbox 360 controller for Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Fallout 4 and Skyrim. If any game we make could support that too, that would be interesting. Though I'd be interested in knowing how many Steam users actually have a USB xbox controller wireless receiver for windows.

Quote: "because once we get that we still need characters to walk up and down the stairs in a multi level building and which the models have in the store."

- That my number 1 and only vote so far on the voting list.
- My 2nd would be the ability to play more than 2 sounds per entity (not on list and yes i suggested it)
- My 3rd would be the ability to swim (not on list and yes i suggested it)

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2016 03:31
Quote: " Though I'd be interested in knowing how many Steam users actually have a USB xbox controller wireless receiver for windows."

I have one. I've tried enabling it from time to time since it appeared in the setup.ini. It has never worked for me. Mine is an Xbox 360 USB wireless controller. I don't own an Xbox of any number, so outside of slight visual differences, I don't know what the difference is from the Xbox One controller. The Xbox 360 controller works fine with UE4, or at least it did the last time I created something that used it.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
teamhalo
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Gears of War 4
Posted: 9th Feb 2016 20:03
Quote: ""because once we get that we still need characters to walk up and down the stairs in a multi level building and which the models have in the store.""

I find this to be critical to game development as well. It makes the most sense for Lee to add this functionality and the Easy Building editor at the same time, since the building editor will require characters to move up multi-levels anyways. Hoping for this soon
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 08:06 Edited at: 10th Feb 2016 08:38
@synchromesh ok let me make it clear xbox controller is disable in guru because Lee have said in past in a blog he wants to test it out before enable it. I have email rick about this and it was said to me he will pass the word on to Lee and see if they can get ti in the next update which was last year. so no xbox=1 does not do anything. the reason why I made this request is because I know some people and gamers like to use the xbox controller over the mouse and keyboard. it may not be a big deal now but when more better games get release from this engine people on steam and any other game site will ask for this. when we get car games working on guru the controller will be on demand to use. I'm thinking about the developers here it is about the gamers and people who are going to play these games. as a developer you have to think about the gamer and how to give them as many option as possible to play. also this maybe a must for third person games as well. this may seem like a small thing now but getting people asking me about now has me thinking.

@teamhalo it is a must for your awesome buildings having the Bots to navigate stairs / heights now after save and load will put your model in a high demand of use. your models and wizard of id interior level buildings pretty much replace what Easy Building editor can do. how you may say? Easy Building editor will allow us to create an inside out side building that the player can step into. but why build the building when we can use your pre made build with one easy drag and drop. why build a inside level when we can just sap wizard of id interior level buildings together. I'm not saying completely dump the Easy Building editor all I'm say is we don't need right away before Bots to navigate stairs / heights being we have level builds to test in on now. this will allow Lee to put other feature in that won't take so much time now.

@Teabone Xbox 360 controller for Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Fallout 4 and Skyrim. yes that what I mean with third person in play imaging moving you character in guru using the controller. to give everyone the option to play your game with a controller will be a big impact on guru games. also gamer will not be unhappy about the fact we can't make game for their xbox.lol

My point is this guys teamhalo builds and wizard of id interior level buildings is a good use with Bots to navigate stairs / heights feature for now and the Easy Building editor can take a back seat to it.

now bullet tracer was suppose to be with the scifi pack aka laser tracer. so now I'm like what happen? which would give our weapons more of that COD and star wars BF look.

yes the performance is great in guru but DX11 is more than just that. right trees can kill the performance gain and which if we have Tree batching in guru that will balance the use of large amount trees being used and keep a smooth frame rate level when you are in the woods. plus Hardware Instancing which is also apart of DX11. then there is that graphic boost if most of you remember fpscX10 and how superior the shader system was compare to fpsc shader system. have a look at the attach file and see what I mean.

Hardware Instancing: Instead of drawing each entity one by one, we use the built-in GPU ability to render a large group of same-mesh entities in one event, allowing more geometry to be rendered, or the same amount of geometry but at a faster rate. Ideal for entities such as trees, vegetation and small decorative elements.

Tree batching:An optimised system that will improve the rendering speed when a level contains a significant number of trees and vegetation.

if things was to go in this direction then if was time well spent on guru for the first part of the year. Easy Building editor great but it puts no impact on gameplay it just makes it easy for us developers to build or build buildings in our levels. when I make a game with guru want to show off what it can do not how easy it was for me to build buildings or levels in my game. gamer don't care about how the game is made they care about how the game is played. this year 2016 guru games should wow people.

Laser tracer video:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2016 20:15 Edited at: 11th Feb 2016 00:42
Quote: "@synchromesh ok let me make it clear xbox controller is disable in guru because Lee have said in past in a blog he wants to test it out before enable it."

Really ... Is this the blog you refer to ...My explanation is a little more accurate ..

Quote: "We’ve made the decision to disable the XBOX controller stuff for the moment as we realized during our testing that more code is required when in multiplayer mode, and we also noticed that different controllers (and even different kinds of XBOX Controller) will do things slightly differently when in-game, so to ensure we only release features that are well tested, the sensible option was to demote the feature until we have the time to test it properly in all weathers."

Quote: "I have one. I've tried enabling it from time to time since it appeared in the setup.ini. It has never worked for me"

I tried it long ago with an ordinary controller which did kind of work but was all over the place ...
It does not work for me either now.... Perhaps during the C++ The code was removed ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 00:13
Nice video. GG will get there!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 09:35 Edited at: 11th Feb 2016 09:40
I don't use an xbox controller, never have done. I use a standard joypad (well a PS2 pad connected via a USB convertor). Best pad I have had for the PC by far. Why the xbox controller seems the only choice of late for games beats me, it was never that good a pad for xbox. The fact that there seems different settings for different controllers seems a stupid Microsoft way to keep 3rd party devices off the market and encourage people to just buy their controllers. Reminds me of Amstrads appalling Kempston joystick rewire for the +2 and above, but even more devious.

I'd prefer standard joypad/joystick support myself, as I would never use the xbox stuff. That should be first choice anyway, especially as the xbox seems to be made to be awkward from the get go. Once basic pads work xbox could be added later when time allows.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2016 01:57 Edited at: 12th Feb 2016 02:02
I used to use a corded USB "playstation" styled controller. Ironically enough when I show-cased a FPSC demo game I had one of them connected and configured for the game.

I find the Xbox controller to be incredibly responsive. And you can activate it and deactive it during gameplay with a single button which actually sends a command to the receiving end. This has been great for games like Fallout and Skyrim. Say the batteries ever die, the game would promote you then configure to keyboard controls automatically.

Least this has been my experience so far. Unfortunately Fallout 4 was designed for console, so it naturally plays better with a controller it was intended for.

However I think GG being a game engine rather than a game (despite what it says on Steam) i think it only makes sense that it supports nearly all possible inputs. Gamepad/joystick/Xbox360/keyboard re-mapping etc

Fendrik
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Maybe the easy building editor could be inspired by this tool? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS4EsLb2kRs"

The REPTILE (gotta love that name ... nice pun) tool does indeed look like something that would be a nice functionality to have in GG ...

Which begs the question, if all new functionality should just be included ... or available as an add-on for purchase.

SInce I appreciate the tremendous effort that Lee & Co are putting into GG, I hope that there are enough sales being generated in order to keep them fed (and thus going) ... everyone likes freebies (including myself), but at the end, everyone has to be able to pay their bills.

Cheers,
Fendrik
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2016 22:18
Hi Fendrik, right now we're doing okay for the size of team we have. No need to contemplate add-ons or more DLC products, just nose to the grindstone and pour through these features as efficiently as possible. Right now we like the idea that what you buy now just gets bigger and better, and you're as much a part of the development effort in deciding what gets done first and to what degree. Hopefully you're liking the order currently voted for
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Fendrik
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Right now we like the idea that what you buy now just gets bigger and better ..."

Hi Lee,
I really appreciate that !!!!
And I am having a ball with GG ... I know of no other engine that allows me to put together anything as fast as GG does.

I'm perfectly willing to wait for some of the goodies ... just "hobbying" around at this point ... trying to learn about LUA, content creation ... keeps me busy, even without FBX, Building Editor etc.

Cheers,
Fendrik

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 18:49:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 18:49:23