Product Chat / Runtime 506 Error

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello
I hope someone can please help - starting today I get the "RunTime Error 506 - Could not load image @line 18534." when launching Guru.

I have verified my files - it finds three and downloads them. I launch Guru and it crashes in same location every time. Restart computer - verify the files - downloads three again - launch guru - loading process begins and at loading terrain GURU HANGS! Same place every time.

I have read in past posts the file verification fixed some user's problems. Not working in my case.

Most annoying. I have 520 odd hours on Steam alone and now can't get to my work. It has worked fine for 500+ hours - why now? Window 10 bug? But I have at least 40 hours with Win10 and it worked fine.

Is there anyway to remove this line (18534) perhaps. From which file is the engine trying to read this line? I have verified my registry also.

Thanks
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2015 08:37
You might be better off contacting the helpdesk team by clicking on "?Help" bottom right corner of the forum screen
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you try this ...

Right click on your Desktop..... select "Display Settings"
Make sure the Text / font is set to 100% on the slider ( all the way to the left )

Then try that ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks synchromesh. Slider was at 100%. But re-set and saved again just in case but that Did not work.

I have deleted all guru exe's and other files, leaving only the directory folders with their content and verified through steam. Downloaded thirteen files including all the exe's. Restart. Same Deal. Up until 2am this morning when I saved my progress after a flawless test game run, It was all working.

Considering uninstall/re-install at this point. But would preferably avoid this if I can.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Uninstall and reinstall would be my next recommendation ....
" Your files folder should stay intact and untouched.... "

Its just a case of uninstall and reinstall ... I find it often takes about the same time as the verify for me anyway

I would uninstall ... Reboot and then reinstall if you decide to do that..
Also have you updated your virus program, GFX drivers recently ...anything that could cause this sudden change ?
PM
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
@synchromesh

I will re-install. Nothing new since this morning. AV logs show no overnight downloads. Have tried to run with AV disabled. I have the latest NVidia drivers. Oh well. Thank you as always.
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Re-install did not work. How can that be? Especially when it was all working less than 24 hours ago? Now not even uninstall/install? Re-format?
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2015 20:54
Did you move the existing installation to a different location, or delete it? Uninstalling doesn't always delete the folders. Try renaming your GameGuru folder something else and then redownload GameGuru in its entirety. Of course, if you already did this, then I'm stumped.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2015 21:08
Did you test gg when installed, as is, I mean with out customized stuff, just the stock one?

Not custom terrain, not custom audio, and so on.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Did you move the existing installation to a different location, or delete it? Uninstalling doesn't always delete the folders. Try renaming your GameGuru folder something else and then redownload GameGuru in its entirety. Of course, if you already did this, then I'm stumped."

Careful he does not want to lose his files folder ...
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2015 04:14
@syncromesh - yes, I should have emphasised that. The 'files' folder should be moved , or the 'gameguru' folder renamed.
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the help guys. Everything is backed up so no danger of loosing work. Busy downloading older nvidia drivers just in case.
I un-installed and downloaded the full 2.3gig again but I did not delete, move or rename the original GG folder as Gtox suggests. Will try that next after my driver install attempt.
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Nvidia driver roll back had zero effect. Have removed all traces off GG from my computer - down to registry. Downloading the full 2.3gig again via Steam.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2015 06:59
If a clean installation doesn't work, copy the GameGuru folder into the Steam-SteamApps-Common folder on another computer (obviously assuming that you've already installed Steam). At least you'll then know if it's GameGuru or your system that's causing the problem.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like you have done everything I can think of .... the only thing left to suggest is the "Green " help button for Customer support and see if they have any further recommendations ..... Or sign up for the beta ..... see if that version solves the issue ?
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like you edited one of the terrain or skybanks and missed one of the textures, if you check those (terrainbank or skybank) then you will likely find the issue?
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks again everyone.
After a removing most traces of Guru on my system, down to the registry, several re-starts and finally followed by a new install I now have a working (fresh) version of GURU.

@smallg - now that you mention it the offending item could be the map I was working on. I did not consider it earlier because the last thing I did before saving was run the level - which ran flawlessly including all the scripts and then I saved before closing Guru normally.

When chasing my own tail I did a win file system verification using the sfc/scannow on command prompt and windows came up clean. To my logic this said that the Win 10 core system files were ok at any rate.

Also, support got back to me quickly (thanks Daniel) and suggested I download the latest DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010). I have not done this as my problem seems to be resolved but it is good information to have none the less.

Now to re-load everything back into guru.
Thank you everyone for the help. Amazing community.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent Isagabe !!

Brilliant news its working for you now
PM
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Relieved and elated to report that things appear to be working, I copied the back-up into the steam directory, (replaced all files except .exe), loaded fresh omega.core dll and so far the 1 levels have loaded is working. Again thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 00:19:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 00:19:03