Product Chat / I bit off more than I could chew...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I think I bit off more than I could chew when I started this game. I had and still have a great idea! I know how I should place everything and such.

My only problem is that, my skill level is way down where it should be to make this game even, free to play worthy. (I'm was not planning on making big amounts of cash, just saying.)

I'm in desperet need of help, and advice. Should I struggle through and continue this or should I put it on the shelf until I have the right amount of skill and even money so I can get more assets and scripts? Maybe make small games and learn the slow and steady way, make acceptable small games and after some real traning make the game I'm struggling with right now?

All answer is acceptable, I just need help and advice.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
We all started without Knowledge .... Giving up is not an option here

What are you having problems with exactly ?
We all started without Knowledge but you can learn fast with GameGuru and there is plenty of help here on the forums.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 19:38
Help us understanding where you are having difficulties there are a lot of talented and knowledgeable people on these forums who have the ability to help... Please feel free to share
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen).
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 21:26
i think go ahead attempt your game everytime you hit an obstacle you will learn from it, gain knowledge and carry on. the best way to learn is to start making your game.
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 21:59
Stay with it. The less you know now, the more obstacles you will have along the way, of course, but each one of those is a learning opportunity. Plenty of brainpower around here to pick, and of course, just outside there are the interwebs.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 22:07 Edited at: 4th Oct 2015 22:08
Plenty of free stuff around to get you going on the store " Free Models and Media " section on the forum.

There is also my Website GameGuru Files that has loads of free models etc all donated by this community
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 23:15
In other words, when do we start?

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Ostbanditen
Years of Service
User Offline
I appreciate everything guys! I really do! What an awesome community!

(Why isn't my answer showing for me? )

PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 00:19
I think a great start is planning; not just in your head but on paper. Create a basic outline of your story. List important characters, enemies, locations. give descriptions for each. Grab some graph paper and get mapping. Look for the formats for creating a game design document-but keep in mind you can shift gears and change direction at anytime. Keep it fluid but document every change. Don't let the lack of knowledge ruin the pursuit of your goals. Obtain the knowledge to get to your goals. Divide your goals up into smaller goals. Many little victories add up to big ones.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 00:47
When new to the forum, post are on moderators approval for the first few times. Was away from the computer, sorry.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 10:23
I agree with everything that has been said here, you should continue with your idea and if you come across something you are having a problem with then POST it. I am pretty sure that you will have an answer quite quickly, sometimes these guys will even do it for you if it is a particularly big problem.

This has got to be one of the freindliest forums I have ever come across, there is no friction or backstabbing just a group of like minded people who have got together who don't mind helping out everyone else.
HP Pavilion Laptop, AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) Graphics HD Graphics 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 10), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 12:37:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 12:37:43