Third Party Tools / Segment AutoWelder for GG v2.0

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 20:05
ok so thanks to Ozziedave, I will now be using Action! for my video capturing as the NCH Debut software was a bit...err well pants!
Now in a position where I can start looking into coding a decent (or at least half decent) punching system....now the funs starts (err again!!!)
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2015 18:19 Edited at: 19th Nov 2015 18:54
The FPSC level import/export ->GG feature is now fully automated. The user only has to extract the zip file containing the lastest universe.dbo recently built. The tool automatically goes straight to the last build folder e.g. mygames5 or whatever you have called your game folders.
The tool also now copies over the DINS texture images into the same folder as the segment you save out, allowing you to test out with shaders e.g. bump.fx. I have also tested out using FPSC X10 and segments work, although only available within the source code at the moment, I will be adding a user option to select between classic and X10. Level function for FPSC X10 still needing tweaking.

FPSC X10 etc:
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Lance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2015 20:50

Lookin good . Hope you get the punches working soon .
PM
ozziedave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2015 21:30
Welder is working extremely efficiently, excellent progress, great Video
PM
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2015 23:12
I'll be lined up outside your house on the big release day BOTR. Great Job!
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 07:11
thanks guys for your kind comments , working on the puncher feature on+off due to work and other commitments but want a good system that works well and is flexible enough for the end user to work with. The FPSC X10 levels texturing coming out strange as they are using only DNS textures, no base D2 diffuse texture. Tried playing with shaders for these, but no luck so far in GG. I'll have to see if I can figure it out, it's not a top priority at the moment but interesting.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 09:11
here is an updated demo the punches (this won't be what the actual tool system will look like, is only a demo ). includes floor, door and ceiling pieces.

devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
looking great nice work.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 17:37
thanks devlin for your kind comment.

This is a very very early glimpse of the welder CSG punching system. I think this will be like a very first prototype of some sort of Segment Editor and later on I want to make a fully functional construction kit. Also this system should work with both FPSC and GG, all you need is an object/mesh; a punch and textures and off you go.......you'll be able to punch (and weld) in any direction you want and where you want.
Please feel free to comment on what you would want to see. Currently I have loads of ideas floating around in my head such as library system so you don't have to keep finding all those punches etc.

ozziedave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2015 23:25 Edited at: 20th Nov 2015 23:29
BOTR Brilliant Work, looking at a previous Video, you showed me something I should have known. A lot of times on making a
Segment for GG I had a building very small with four sides, couldn't work out how I could use this Segment, in FPSC you would
just paint the Room larger. Your Video showed me that if I just ticked 3 boxes of the Segment AutoWelder I would then produce
just a side of the room, and could join each side and wall to make any size room.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 07:38
Been a few days since I posted here, but just wanted to give an update. Was away for the weekend, but since Monday I've been concentrating on both the punch feature and also gone back to fixing the "door sinking" issue which looks resolved, what a pain that was but worth it in the end. Just doing some tests on it to make sure it works 100% with the doors. Once happy with this fix, I will release an updated demo version with only this fix. Then back onto the other features.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 11:39
As pointed out by a fellow forum member yrkoon, I will be tweaking my code to automatically unzip the universe.dbo file by automatically parsing the 'mypassword' into the file and extracting. Thanks again for the tip
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 12:44
Code now updated so that user selects the .zip file they want to extract and then auto extracts files. Haven't tested on Win10 yet, will try after work.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 18:31
ok here is a vid showing the minor update (re: auto unzipping the universe.dbo from the archive) and importing the office level into GG and playing around the level with some zombies and using the goindoors.lua script for that extra FPS etc.

seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 19:15
Very Impressive. Way to go!
gamer, lover, filmmaker
ozziedave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 19:31
BOTR, the Build process flows very smoothly now, the software is getting easier by the day
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 17:13
thanks again guys. Just going back to fix a really annoying niggle regarding Windows 10 and zip files. I am updating the code so that if you do use either winzip/winrar then the program will detect which is installed and create/unarchive a zip file. The current code only works with win7 although not tested on XP/Win8/8.1. Once all the niggles are out of the way, I will continue with the punch feature which is coming along quite nicely, still lots to do.
LanceBurger
Years of Service
User Offline

This has come a very long way . Very good . The hole punch looks good and the universe .dbo is like icing on the cake . I really can't wait to purchase it . How much longer ?
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 19:45
Not too long now, I wouldn't want to release with the potential that there are issues with it. If anyone wants to buy the current version without the puncher feature for now (you will get it as a free update anyway), let me know and I will finish fixing other issues then release.
ozziedave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 20:28
Haven't had the Guts to use Windows 10 yet, still on 8.1, could you look at 7-zip as well, I use it all the time, it's Free and a great Zip/Unzip programme.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 20:31
I also use 7-zip and winrar. I'll look into 7-zip, winzip and winrar(already done for winrar). This will only be for Win10, the version for other OS will remain the same.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 22:12 Edited at: 28th Nov 2015 11:49
For anyone that wants to purchase now for the current version with protoype puncher, please send £10 payment to my paypal page:
https://www.paypal.me/MichaelFowler

Please note the product is not final and not fully tested and may have outstanding issues. Feel free to report any issues you have to me.
On receipt of payment, I will send a dropbox link to your supplied email address. All future updates/fixes will be free of charge.

@synchromesh: would it be possible for you to set up a link on the GG files page? What details do you require? Many thanks.
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
purchased hope you get enough to get yourself a new pc with the work you have done on this project
i hope you will come up with new projects in the future for the community great work keep it up.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2015 07:12
Many thanks Devlin for your purchase, I will send a dropbox link to your email address as soon as possible.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2015 09:20
@Devlin, I have sent personal dropbox links to your email address as provided via Paypal. This includes both XP/Win7/Win10 versions + the Punching/Welding system prototype. It's in it's early days yet so please bear with it.
Hope you enjoy the tools. Loads of fixes/improvements to come free of charge.

seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2015 20:55
What do i do for american dollar?
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2015 22:32 Edited at: 28th Nov 2015 22:34
@seppgirty: Please send equivalent US dollars which I believe is around 20 dollars. Many thanks
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 15:51
Quote: " Please send equivalent US dollars which I believe is around 20 dollars. "

Acording to google it is $15.03. Can i send an even $15.00?
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 16:51
@seppgirty-this is fine with me whatever the equivalent is in US dollars, many thanks again
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 17:18
just sent you the money. Can't wait to give this a try! great job!
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 17:37
Great, thanks again. Please can anyone who has purchased let me know if Windows 10 version is working or not as my packer program may be causing issue.
ozziedave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 21:24 Edited at: 29th Nov 2015 21:26
Hi BOTR, In my email the update one the link stated SegAutoWelder3.5.3W10, but when I downloaded the zip file it's title was SegAutoWelder3.5.3, had
me confused.

Thanks anyway.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 22:04 Edited at: 29th Nov 2015 22:07
@ozziedave-thanks for the comment, I'll check the links again, I may have confused myself somewhere. I need to do some fixes anyway as I want to revisit the texturing system as I'm not 100% happy with it. In fact I will be reviewing all the code and improve where it needs it as some objects will not load when attempting to weld which is frustrating. For the textures I want the user to be able to see a list and then have the option to change the textures. Also the GUi will be getting a facelift and punch/weld system finished. Still loads to do but will be great to get the tool to a point where its extremely solid.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2015 07:52
this week, I'll be working on fixes and Win10 issues. The texturing system will be rewritten to be more efficient as there are some odd segments not loading in when selecting the 'Weld' button so you may get a 'Object does not exist' type error which is frustrating for me and you guys. I will be redesigning the GUI and adding images (hopefully) to represent the parts/meshes that make up the segments and also allow the user to select alternate textures. This is a lot of work but I think the tool needs it. The FPSC X10 side will also be properly configured.
So pretty much a week (or 2) of reworking some areas in the code. I will, of course be continuing in the development of the punch/weld tool. Work is quite busy at the moment so will be doing all this where time allows but am having fun in the process of improving the tool/functions. Anyone who has bought the tool already will receive all this free of charge. Many thanks agian to those who have bought the product so far, very very much appreciated. If you have any niggles, no matter how small, please let me know as I would like to stamp out any problems that are lurking in the tool. Have a good day
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2015 20:57
Great work on this tool,nice to see it developing so well .
(Hope you do well with it)
Dave
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2015 21:45 Edited at: 30th Nov 2015 22:17
@granada- many thanks for your kind words and recent order - I've just sent the links to the tool to your email address

Loads of coding today between work hours. The texturing system including the DINS/Effects is now going under rewrite. I've been recompiling some old FPSC shaders (.fx files) that contained errors in them and are now compatible with PS 3.0. These have been tested and work fine. The user will be able to graphically choose which part(s) they want to include in the segment and also if they want to apply shader effects and change textures. Draft pic below:
Other plans include: finishing the Puncher/Weld feature; Fully implementing compatibility with FPSC X10; fixing camera/object for FPSC level thumbnail (is lopsided at the moment); look into what other features can be added to the FPSC level import feature; Give the GUI a complete facelift+any other fixes.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2015 23:33
Got the links today. Will give it a try later. Sorry i don't have windows 10, can't test that for you.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 08:02 Edited at: 1st Dec 2015 08:04
@seppgirty-glad you got links ok.

I will ensure both versions get a more rigorous testing prior to releasing any future updates.
thanks again to all that have purchased so far and keep those bug/issues/niggles coming in.
If you notice any segments coming out black, this is because the current version doesn't use multitextures yet when using the DINS system, but the next version will do and you will be able to decide whether you have effects on or off.
Tons to do, but is fun watching it develop further.
Don't worry I haven't forgotton about the puncher/welder feature. Does anyone have any feedback on the very early prototype? Although, far from finished would be good to have any ideas you might have that you want to see. I will be adding more buttons and options and I definitely want to improve on the control side of things.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I have just added its own Purchase page to GameGuru Files ...
This should make payments easier for all ..

http://www.gamegurufiles.co.uk/welder.html
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 13:16
thanks again Synchromesh, very much appreciated
Lance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 16:07 Edited at: 1st Dec 2015 16:12
Some of the walls didn't get the texture correct or are missing from front of building . They were correct in FPSC . All the outside walls should be grey with a yellow stripe on them . These are all stock Sci-Fi assets from FPSC . I think a few basic written instructions would be helpful .
I tried out the punch and it works , but I couldn't save (?) it to look at it in GG ..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 16:13 Edited at: 1st Dec 2015 16:21
oh that's not right :-(. I will take a look. thanks for the feedback Lance.
[probably silly question, are you using the current build of the level as the tool looks at the most recent current FPSC config files?]
For the puncher, did you press E key to save? If you did, I will fix although, the save and other features are not fully implemented at the moment, however I will be continuing to develop the tool and finish the save code so that it works correctly.
Lance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 17:21

I am using the current build of the level 12.1.2015 (this morning) but the folder was made 11.30.2015 (on my desktop) . I will try another build later on today . I have chores to do .

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 18:25
@Lance-I will be adding a video shortly so that everyone can see how to import levels/prefabs correctly and also a demo of the punch/weld too (which obviously needs a lot of work). I'll be adding to the save code so that users can save the punched/welded segments wherever they want. It currently saves to the project area on my drive but may or may not work for you guys.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 20:19
Here is a video to show users how to import FPSC classic level or Prefab using v3.5.3. There are a couple of pointers to remember, but the tool does all the hard work. All textures should come out correctly if you follow the steps in the video. In addition, I show how to use the very early prototype of the punch/weld tool. I am currently working on the save side.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 08:28 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2015 08:35
ok, an interesting email came to me today by one of the forum members regarding the build process and why do we need to rebuild levels that have been previosuly built months/years ago. Great question. Currently the tool requires the latest build.ini file so that when you go to import your level using the tool, it points straight to the last build you did as well as getting texture information it requires to import/export the universe.dbo. However, I will be re-investigating this process as it may be this is not necessary. The only downside would be that the tool would not point to the current build for you to unzip. I can either, leave as is, or remove the auto process of having to locate your last build; meaning you will have to flick through the game folders manually. Please let me know what your thoughts are. have a good day all
Also, I am currently rewriting the texturing system as there are quite a few flaws with FPSC and also the segment specs so want to make the next release more sold when it tries to locate textures and load them in etc.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 11:40 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2015 12:18
I will be sending a small updated "puncher/welder" exe to those who have purchased, so you will now be able save your punched/welded segments to anywhere you want and call it what you want. Sorry if this was niggling anyone.

[update-links now sent to all your emails]
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 21:14 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2015 21:16
Bought some amazing models/characters from the store today....just amazing the work that goes into them...so had some fun playing around with those tonight as well as continuing with the texturing system rewrite which is a lot better than it was (talking about the segment side here).
If the tool now finds e.g. .png/.tga etc the tool now converts these to .dds and saves them to both the GG and FPSC area (if they don't already exist) which I wish I had done in the beginning...oh well live and learn...
Also, with regards to textures.....the FPSC level/prefab import will be revisited and I will add code that will search for any textures that are missing and hopefully if it finds them copy them to the temp area.
Hopefully, everyone should have received the minor update to the punch/weld tool so saving should now be more flexible saving out the objects as both .X and .DBO files.
Work has been fairly busy so trying to do all this around work and the dreaded xmas shopping and other commitments so please bear with me.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 12:18 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2015 12:19
This weekend will be spent putting more functionality into the puncher/welder tool and making necessary modifications as it would be good to see this completed and implemented into the main tool code. I've had some feedback on some ideas which are but not limited to:

a) rotate the base instead of the object.
b) add button to show top view.
c) add rotate button at increments of 45 (and also allow the user to set this as a custom value) .
d) fix mesh on the base plane at the correct offset.
e) rotate the object mesh on the plane with a top view so you can see or align the punch easier.
f) add rotating punch and offset option (to create different shapes in the cut).
g) welded mesh centered for snapping purposes when saving out.
h) add 2 rotate buttons for the punch itself .

I definitely think that having different camera views will be a great benefit.
If anyone else has any ideas/thoughts on what they would like to see that are not on the list above, please let me know.
BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 16:53
Quote: "As pointed out by a fellow forum member yrkoon, I will be tweaking my code to automatically unzip the universe.dbo file by automatically parsing the 'mypassword' into the file and extracting. Thanks again for the tip"

Great looking app. We have many levels from classic that we would love to import into GG, and this just may be our ticket to do so.

I have a question regarding your parsing of the "mypassword". We rewrote our classic code and do not use the standard "mypassword". Would it be possible to have an option where we can specify the "mypassword" we use or have it default to "mypassword" if not specified? If not, I can go back to my classic source and change it to work.

Either way, we will be purchasing this helpful tool. Thanks for the work put into it.
There\'s no problem that can\'t be solved without applying a little scripting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 16:34:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 16:34:53