Third Party Tools / Segment AutoWelder for GG v2.0

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2016 23:35
looking forward BOTR. Have fun making a game.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2016 06:38
@seppgirty-thanks, should be fun and will have to go figure out the basics again as it's been months since using GameGuru editor features so am a bit rusty.

I had a reply from Lee re: sinking doors and the outcome was that you can use e.g. DEFAULTHEIGHT = 50 in the FPE to get the doors onto the terrain if they sink. So I will be removing the code that shifts the vertices up along the Y axis and have DEFAULTHEIGHT parameter added to the FPE instead. That way doors such as the scifi vault door will animate correctly and be at the right height.

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2016 07:32
I'll release 3.5.7.6 soon which will have the DEFAULTHEIGHT= parameter added to the FPE for those dreaded sinking segments (including doors) etc PLUS 1st draft of the DYNAMIC ENTITIES, although there is still some work to do. The LUA scripts will be in the sub folder "entities" along with the entity media. What I've been doing for now is either leaving in the scripts in the "entities" subfolder or putting them in a subfolder within files\scriptbank.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2016 20:39
Awesome.
AMD Phenom x4 9850 2.58 Ghz , 6 gb ram, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 750, Win 10 x64

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2016 07:35
@MK83- thanks, still a bit more to do on it, but doing some last minute refinements and testing prior to release. Version 4 will be (hopefully) far more superior and sophisticated. Ideally I'd like to add in a feature where it displays the dynamic entities and you can either "select all" or point n click/drag n drop whatever entities you want or don't want to include in the level. The only issue at the moment is for characters you have to put them through Mender 2.0 to prevent disfigurement and also characters can't go above 0 height (ugh), although I may again try DEFAULTHEIGHT=XX to see if that does anything to help......
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2016 21:44 Edited at: 19th May 2016 21:47
was playing around with Dynamic Entities in GameGuru and there is some good news in that once you place the dynamic entities in their position you don't need to do it every time as for example I had 6 doors for the Arabic Town B FPSC level, and after adding the LUA scripts for each door and running in TEST mode I could then press F9, go into entity mode and highlight the door and paste back down. Coming out of the test level mode leaves the door right where it is, I can then choose the door.LUA script to activate the door. No need for the XXX_position.LUA script anymore.

[shame you can't add scripts while in TEST mode and other stuff]
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2016 23:25
I love hearing about progress.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2016 07:57 Edited at: 20th May 2016 08:02
thanks Seppgirty I'll be releasing 3.5.7.6 this morning (all being well). Done some last minute fixes and will include the dynamic entities export (1st release) along with the FPSC level and door sinking fix using DEFAULTHEIGHT= parameter in the FPE instead of hard coding the repositoning on Y-axis. This should ensure original animations are not messed up. I will of course upload a tutorial video on how to use the dynamic entity side of things, early days yet but usuable.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2016 08:29 Edited at: 20th May 2016 08:41
version 3.5.7.6 link now sent to all that purchased the tool. video to come soon as possible. Have a good play around. It's not perfect yet but works so far. Some manual processing will need to be done e.g. characters need to go through Mender 2.0 to prevent disfigured/saggy mesh in GameGuru (what a pain) .
Lights do not work, but still experimenting.

[update-sorry about the recent email gaff, I used CC instead of BCC, well now you know who each other are ]
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2016 14:07
Well at least characters can be set at the right height-just go into test mode - press f9 select the character (green) do a slight pageup and paste .
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2016 20:12 Edited at: 20th May 2016 20:13
Here is video guide Part 1 for Dynamic Entities:

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2016 22:21
Video Guide Part 2 - Dynamic Entities - Placing the level and start marker and assigning LUA scripts.

MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2016 22:09
Hate to say it BTOR, but I have an error with this also.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2016 22:51
switched back to 3.5.7.5, it works flawlessly.

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 06:52 Edited at: 22nd May 2016 07:26
very strange, I'll install my windows 10 64bit and see if I get same issue. Does anyone else use Win1064 bit and get same message? I'll investigate further, it might be I left some rogue code in while debugging. What were you doing and to which door? Were you splitting the doors into 2 parts or just welding one complete door segment?

Do you run GameGuru in the background while using the tool in Win 10? Also, please can you try something for me. run the tool and process a door segment until you get the error. go to you root drive e.g. C: and see if there are DBO files there named tempobj.DBO and/or tempobj2.DBO
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 14:31
Quote: "What were you doing and to which door? Were you splitting the doors into 2 parts or just welding one complete door segment?

Do you run GameGuru in the background while using the tool in Win 10?"
It was scifi\corridors\ventilation duct, No, GG was not running.

PM
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 14:32 Edited at: 22nd May 2016 14:44
Quote: "go to you root drive e.g. C: and see if there are DBO files there named tempobj.DBO and/or tempobj2.DBO"
I'll do that and let you know.

EDIT: yes, tempobj2 but, it's dated 4/23/2016

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 15:05
ok thanks, will have a look when I get a moment.
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 17:29
all of a sudden this works now, how weird.

PM
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2016 00:02 Edited at: 23rd May 2016 00:02
Correction, error when using punch. vid link below.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4c1x98_segwelder-puncher-error_tech

PM
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2016 05:01
Got it, finally. I'am running it in compatibility mode win 7, Run as admin, and it works. Took all weekend to figure this one out. So it must be a windows 10 problem.

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2016 08:27
I ran both tools on x64 bit Windows 10 and work fine on my PC. Not sure why it not working on other users.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 12:04 Edited at: 28th May 2016 12:13
Part 3 video tutorial will be uploaded soon. This focuses on getting FPSC weapons and Ammo working in GameGuru after exporting the FPSC level along with dynamic entities.
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 15:08
Quote: "Part 3 video tutorial will be uploaded soon. This focuses on getting FPSC weapons and Ammo working in GameGuru after exporting the FPSC level along with dynamic entities."
great!!

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 15:44 Edited at: 28th May 2016 16:36
1st part of Part 3 as my video software messed up.

MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 21:32
Well done.

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2016 06:51 Edited at: 29th May 2016 06:52
@MK83- thanks , more to come, gonna concentrate this morning adding pickups to the Weapon tool which will support the dynamic entity export for weapons as I prefer to automate processes rather than manually copy stuff over and modifying FPEs etc.

I will obviously think of ways of improving the dynamic entity process as there is quite a lot to it and no way to communicate with the GG engine at the moment if ever. My main concern will be doors, as sometimes they work and sometimes they dont which is not great.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2016 11:39
After this weekend, in between actual game making, I will be continuing with development of AutoWelder 4.0 (I'm dropping the Seg bit). I'm hoping to incorporate the Weapon and Entity Welder in this version with proper GUI where necessary and as said before 4.0 GUI is being totally overhauled. I'm going to modify current code as not totally happy with it, but it's a start. The configuration for 32/64 bit will be much improved for both FPSC classic and FPSC X10 as well as general data/function structures. Lots of point and click/drag and drop this time around so the user has better graphical control.
If anyone has any features they would like to see or improvements I've not mentioned, please feel free to bombard me with your ideas

seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2016 13:35
Been waiting for this version. love the drag and drop feature. Maybe a scale all function so we can change the scale of the levels in case we want to use it in another engine.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If anyone has any features they would like to see or improvements I've not mentioned"

the one thing I would like to see addressed in the new version is the process of getting FPSC level loaded into the tool as currently its an arduous task, to many mouse clicks, folder navigation and unnecessary dialogs, what should be a one time selection turns into a annoyingly repetitive routine when making bigger maps in parts (like prefab road segments)

also a system for easily exporting segment parts, the parts that actually make up the full segment but without rotation, corner and wall parts are duplicated (x4) and we only need 1 of each, a loop with a check to see if the mesh has been processed or not and it outputs the floor, ceiling, wall and corner piece for the segment ready to piece together in GG 's grid, it takes an age to do this manually with the checkboxes, a task I personally do not have the patience to partake in! lol

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2016 18:12 Edited at: 9th Jul 2016 18:13
@Seppgirty-scale all functions no problem at all-will add to my list.
@PartTimeCoder-very good points, I will review the FPSC level process and make it less arduous and I agree there are too many dialogs/folder navigation, those are definitely annoying ha. Also agree with exporting of segment parts and you are correct we only need the unique types. These will also go on my list.

Very good feedback thanks guys very much appreciated
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2016 21:22
sounds great!

PM
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2016 13:56
How about being able to convert the textures to a different file type on export. Say to png or jpg. bmp. That way i wouldn't have to convert the textures in gimp and have to load the level in fragmotion and re assign the textures. This would make it easier to load levels into other engines.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2016 14:00
@Seppgirty-no problem, added to my list.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2016 07:58 Edited at: 14th Jul 2016 08:04
So a bit of a delay in continuing due to work and other stuff. Just in case you missed the first pic, here is the current look of the AutoWelder 1.0 (not 4.0 due to name change and no existing purchasers of SegAutoWelder won't be charged ).

Ok it's not much to look at as it's in early stages and much will be changed/added (the button images may change too if I end up hating them ha). For the dreaded FPSC level dialogs etc, I thought maybe just an edit box (directory/filename)+button for selecting the universe.dbo you want to process and another edit box(directory/filename) for selecting the output destination/filename of your level and that's it, the tool will take care of everything else (hopefuly ).

All user comments/feedback welcome, so if you hated anything about the previous version now is the time to shout. I am making a list of everyone's feedback and will endeavour to implement these in the new version.
Looking forward to this.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2016 14:52
Sweet, so far I have no complaints about previous versions. I use them everyday.

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2016 17:55
@MK83-cool- thanks for your feedback
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2016 23:46
The UI looks good. Glad it's staying as a single window.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 08:26
@Seppgirty-thanks....yes will be single window, am toying with having GUI for options so you just click on checkbox to include or not include certain features especially for FPSC level import. Thinking of new ideas at the moment to make it all more efficient for the end user. All this will take time, but will be worth it. For the FPSC level, the texture list process will be much improved and also allow the user to save out the file so that it can be reloaded later if the same level is loaded again, this will then load in the file automatically so that the tool doesn't have to go through the same process again, saving time.

The puncher/welder tool will be a lot more advanced with a lot of added features that never got completed in the previous version.
Now we have the EBE am not sure whether a segment editor is needed.

seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 12:59
Quote: "The puncher/welder tool will be a lot more advanced with a lot of added features that never got completed in the previous version.
Now we have the EBE am not sure whether a segment editor is needed.
"

If you do the segment editor it may be useful in other engines. could broaden your sales market. Just a thought.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 15:30
Quote: "Now we have the EBE am not sure whether a segment editor is needed."

I for one don't like the EBE.

PM
Lance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 16:07

I also have no use for the EBE .
Lance

Joined 22nd Jul 2003

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 06:45 Edited at: 18th Jul 2016 06:51
Well it looks like the segment editor will stay, it will be fun making this more advanced than it is, although I hadn't got that far with it.

Played around with test some code last night/this morning where user can choose color for transparency and save textures out in .png format preserving alpha channel. In the next version, as requested, you will be able to save textures in a selection of formats.

Want to also revisit my .X export code so that it includes animation keys/frames etc, although not my main priority at the moment.

Back to the GUI setup and getting at least segment side working.......

[update-don't forget you can already scale your levels and segments via options menu]
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 16:09
Quote: "Well it looks like the segment editor will stay, "
Thank you.

PM
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well it looks like the segment editor will stay "

That sounds cool, may I suggest adding the option to use edge-less wall and floor segments to reduce the final poly and wasted GPU drawing unseen edges, we can make one with edges and one without and use as appropriate in GameGuru, also (the ability to use a custom mesh overlay like skirting board/coveing/beams/etc so we can have the same wall texture with different overlay to create variate, that would be an awesome feature.

Even with the EBE this will be a great tool to have it could even work hand-in-hand with it, my head is buzzing with ideas.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 06:36 Edited at: 19th Jul 2016 06:37
@PartTimeCode: Good idea, I don't see why not, will add to my program list
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 13:29
Finally got my .X export code to export the bone weights and animation frames etc, so animated objects can now be exported with full textures/anims, phew!!!
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 13:31
Quote: "Finally got my .X export code to export the bone weights and animation frames etc, so animated objects can now be exported with full textures/anims, phew!!!"

Now that sounds cool,nice work .

Dave
PM
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 14:17
awesome

PM

Login to post a reply