Scripts / Power Up!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all. Just a little example of a script I have written to speed up GG by up to 3 times its normal speed. I have an issue with weapons and ammo reappearing still at the moment but other wise is looking pretty good.

Lets hope the performance update is as big a boost

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2015 02:17
Nice script. I have guesses and questions, but I am guessing this one is headed for the store.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
your draw call drops a lot, are you including the facing angle too?
i just put a new version together that includes the player's direction and im not seeing increases like that (more like 10fps) and i'm using 5000 range... interested to see what you're doing differently.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@Pirate Mike. Possibly, depends if I suss this and possible other bugs out first.
@smallg. Nope, no facing angle: Was thinking of adding it but so far, simple works best and attempts to refine it further have ended up with it actually being slower. I can get decent results still even with 15000 distance: At least on the map shown here although it obviously slows more.

I have tested this on a few maps, mainly example ones included with GG and all have increased in speed overall. Obviously some are better than others but all got an injection of speed to some degree.

I think I know what is causing the bug or re-spawning weapons and ammo, although it shouldn't really. I'm guessing it will do the same for any collectible item. A GG issue I think. Well, a combination of my script and a GG bug.

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 4th Sep 2015 10:51
That's a marked speed increase - well done.

I'll have to start experimenting now
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2015 12:28 Edited at: 4th Sep 2015 16:04
Good one !
I use some occlusion script too for speed up the game (increasing fps's)
Before using this occlusion script all my games speed was at half. Now my game have a decent speed.
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fps/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2015 16:13
Awesome DVader!

Unfortunatelly, in my case I do not believe it can solve my problems, since I do not get up to 16 fps, with just one tree.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW. Amazing. that many tress on my map and my computer will simply die. Will happily pay this. Well done.
Moshroom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2015 18:55
Interesting. Didn't expect this to be possible with current LUA commands. What exactly does this script do? (I understand if you want to keep the code secret until the script is finished, but I'd hope you could give us at least some insight )
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2015 21:24 Edited at: 4th Sep 2015 21:25
Well... I have just one curiosity:
if we will use some buildings and a few AI enemies (10 enemies, for example), that script works the same,
like on the forest video example ?

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2015 22:08 Edited at: 4th Sep 2015 22:46
Look at my video example.
NOTE: You must add + 8, 10 frames at the fps "METRICS" map test report to get the real speed of game,
because the "Fraps" screen capture (used for recording) "eat" those 8, 10 frames per second to record this map test:

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ cybernescence. Thanks. I was surprised it worked as well as it did. I fully expected to get only a few fps when I started.

@ 3com. You may well be right. This can only go as fast as Game-Guru can! is that on highest settings or lowest?

@ Isagabe. Thanks! Not sure when I will get it finished to my satisfaction, but it is pretty much done.

@ Moshroom. I have had a break for the last few days and not touched it, but should get it finished soon. Just seeing if I can get more speed with a facing angle as smallg asked above. Not made a difference yet, nor slowed it noticeably, but I am still playing around to see if it can give any extra fps at all

@ Old Larry. It seems fine with AI, although I would recommend putting all the AI and collectables out of range of the scenery to avoid issues and help keep speed up. Obviously you will slow things with lots of soldiers as well as the huge scene. I tested the snow map I use with about 5 default soldiers and they shot me as fast as ever, lol. Still have to give it a proper test yet though, GG never fails to surprise with odd issues It works fine with buildings and any other scenery that I have tested so far.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
TGC have disallowed this, so it's not going be on the store. I must admit, kinda disappointed. Because it will conflict with inbuilt features in the future, it is not allowed. Personally, I think this is nonsense and until such features are available, should be fair game. I mean how long will it take? It's not even top of the vote board yet! I'd be happy for it to be de-listed when occlusion arrives in GG proper.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 13:39 Edited at: 18th Sep 2015 19:06
Edit
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen).
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Why reject it? It obviously works"

Did you tested it? I do not think so...

Quote: "Because it will conflict with inbuilt features in the future, it is not allowed"

Quote: "Personally, I think this is nonsense and until such features are available, should be fair game. "

But if I buy a script I want to use it forever and not just a limited time. So I find tgc has the right to reject it.
Quote: "It's not even top of the vote board yet!"

Maybe it will damage not occulusion, maybe it is not compatible with another feature. Or did they say it?

If you want to sell it, do it outside of the store. This is always an option, instead of tgc bashing.

Thanks
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 19:04 Edited at: 18th Sep 2015 19:05
Edit###
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2015 13:35 Edited at: 19th Sep 2015 13:38
@Corno_1 I am sorry to hear this. I was not TGC bashing. I was stating the case regarding this script and my disappointment in it being rejected.

Quote: "Did you tested it? I do not think so..."

Yes, but I did extensively over several weeks...

Quote: "But if I buy a script I want to use it forever and not just a limited time. So I find tgc has the right to reject it. "

Well sorry, but some people may find it useful while waiting months an months for official updates. They do have the right to reject it of course, but at the same time they are making up rules as they go along. Many scripts on the store will become defunct after official updates are added. Nothing has stopped them selling fine. Including my own pick up and drop script. Nothing lasts forever.

My main gripe with this is the time I spent perfecting this script, getting images and thumbnails made, testing and more testing, many rewrites to see if different methods increased FPS. Not to mention the hour or so of typing out the instructions for it. If this new rule is in place (which I doubt is even listed in the store guide.), then it would have been nice for a simple message warning me this would not be allowed. This thread has been around awhile now and it was fairly obvious I was intending to sell on the store.

As for setting up a site to sell it myself, well is it really worth it? Not really, I have neither the time or inclination to make a website. I have already spent too much time on this as is. As it stands, I may as well have released the initial script for free and saved myself weeks of tinkering, testing and tweaking.

I probably will end up releasing this now as a free script, I was toying with the idea for awhile, but after spending so long on it, decided it was worthy of the store. Plans of mice and men eh?

Edit - Oh yes, they disallowed it because it is a feature intended for GG in future, not because it has any issues. Any issues that exist (you have to design your level correctly for it to work) are GG bugs and unavoidable at present.

Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2015 14:24 Edited at: 19th Sep 2015 14:30
@DVader just keep your work and don't forgot this great community,
the GG team have his projects and also have hes point of view about his software...
All of your work it's very appreciate at all community. Don't end up !
P.S. I am sorry for my poor English language, but I think you are got it the point...

Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yes, but I did extensively over several weeks..."

of course you tested it. I mean board of the rings with his statement that it works....

@dvader
I know it is disappointing, but to go into the forum and write bad posts about tgc is no solution and it never will be...
You must decide what you do. Release it however you want. But maybe you should talk to some of the "bad" tgc guys and maybe you can publish it in the store with some concessions..

I wish you luck
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Old Larry Don't worry I'm okay and will carry on tinkering with GG for the foreseeable future. I was really just letting people know that the script would not be on the store. Of course I was a little disappointed as I stated, entirely natural.

@ Corno_1. If you were a store artist perhaps you would understand the work it can take to upload items. I am not being negative for the sake of it. I was merely disappointed that after all the work I put in, it was rejected for a new rule that I had never heard of. I thought it was a great addition to the store! People are always complaining about speed,and this really does boost it for many levels. I am a loyal TGC fan, having used their software since the original Dark Basic, so I obviously like the team. I am in touch with TGC fairly often to be honest, but I am not trying to get the decision reversed. I was merely giving voice to my disappointment in a reasonable manner, whilst letting people know it would not be on the store. I have only had to speak again about it defending myself against you. Let's please leave it at that I have no beef with you or TGC. I have stated my opinion here and no need for further comment on it.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 06:21 Edited at: 20th Sep 2015 06:23
Quote: "of course you tested it. I mean board of the rings with his statement that it works...."

@Corny_01 ha ok-can't spell....is it errr ..... let me guess bull***t baffles brains again. no change there
I'm done with these boards.
Moshroom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 14:02
Are you planning to release the code now the script is finished? I'd be interested to see what else you did in addition to limiting the draw distance.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
In the end limiting the draw distance is the only really effective option, I tired all sorts of things to improve it, but the fastest version was basically quite similar to my first attempt. I've tried disabling collision also as you would imagine that helps but in tests I struggled to see a difference. I tried drawing only trees in front of me but again that was slower in the end. I even tried adjusting the area of influence to be ahead of you to help reduce the draw area needed (reduce the draw distance further by having less trees behind you). None work very well and generally were slower than just the basics or had odd pop up issues.

I'll be releasing it at some point soon, just have to get all the instructions I made back off my store item and probably start a fresh thread for it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 07:43:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 07:43:40