Scripts / Scripting? where do i start.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I understand the basic logic be hide the scripting that i have read in the file system so now i want to make some things like a new huds and some timers and maybe even a inventory system i want to build it myself but i don't know where do start can someone give me some starting information please and also i would love for one of you awesome scripters to start a youtube channel about Game guru scripting because i know there are lot of people like myself looking for how to do this and that in lua i have used in the passed C# and C++ and i am good at those coding languages its just lua seems so simple it is complex to me i guess.
PM
AstrobloodKnight
Years of Service
User Offline
Odd i posted a message but it does seem to show up so ill post again..

i have 5 to 10 years of C++ coding experience so i understand the logic of programming but lua seems to be so simple yet so complex if i wanted to make a hud or a inventory system any ideas where i need to start. also it seems like game guru has a ton of global commands so i guess i need to learn them all to be able to understand how they all work.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 10:36 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2015 10:38
Like yourself I have a lot of programming experience and Is my main job. If anyone really wants to learn LUA seriously I recommend going to LUA.org and read the syntax and go through some or all examples. Practice playing around in the editor with a few simple scripts or you can open up GG scripts and learn what's going on behind them. Don't be afraid to try new things the worst you can do is crash GG . before running or using any modified sript save your work first. Also go to the guides in steam there is some documentation although probably a bit out of date but still a good basis to learn. Also learn from others. I would post links but I'm on my tablet.search the forums for LUA help also. There are very good scriptors here e.g.smallg
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen).
AstrobloodKnight
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the reply
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2015 08:12
forgot to mention that TGC have been doing live broadcasts on Twitch, one or two of them touched on LUA scripting.
You can find them here on YT:

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 23:12:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 23:12:58