Product Chat / Twitch Sessions - please send us your requests!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

How about a video with tips for placing entities / objects / assets on a map ... especially, if you need to align objects ...

Example: putting a torch, with a flame decal and a light marker inside a dungeon hallway ... multiple times ...

Since we are not able (to the best of my knowledge) set the x/y/z values directly, I always have a tough time getting objects placed exactly where I want them to be ...

Also maybe some hints about how to "correct" mistakes made with the terrain editor (I sometimes don't realize that I have inadvertently moved my terrain to high or to low and then have a hard time getting it "just right" ...

I know that there are broadcasts that deal with editor in general, but showing how to deal with "everyday" problems might be worthwhile ...

Cheers,
Fendrik
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
How about fixing a day?
Julian
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2016 17:47
My suggestion is for a sandbox type situation.
How about an object hunt with progression. I'll explain-
* Initially you are given a task to do such as shoot 5 cans.
*as you shoot them, a visible counter adds 1 for every can shot.
*when you finish shooting the 5 cans you return to the original 'quest giver' who tells you of another 'quest giver' that was not on the map previously.
*This spawns the new 'quest giver' and new items to shoot, and so on.

This would be a great help in making our games more sandbox like or 'open world'. We would have the player stay on one large map a longer amount of time. Heck an entire full length game could be made of only 1 level.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2016 17:04
The level and scripts associated with the broadcast on the 6th April Enjoy!
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks lee.

is there a way we can have related scritps for all prevoius twitch session.. ???
PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA R9 280 3GB GDDR5 - HDD WD 1500TB
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2016 17:35
Thank you.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Could we have a remake of twitch session 21 showing fixed bugs and working as with the amount of errors
makes this twitch session to hard to follow or using alternative commands to fix problems with the script makes it confusing
and side tracks the issues with the script.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2016 22:28 Edited at: 13th Apr 2016 22:31
how long is building creator going to take to finish i hope a 2 week venture as it was in a very near finished product? then we can get onto ai

also do you still have ravey on your books?
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 10:21
I am hoping the Easy Building Editor (V1) will be a quick development, we will see. Yes, Ravey is still on the books, coding away in his little man cave
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 14:42
Fantastic thank you for your prompt reply
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2016 11:04 Edited at: 15th Apr 2016 11:09
Thanks lee,
did you even look at broadcast 21.
as you commented out the problems in the script.
was they fixed and are they now working ? it was was a simple question.
as you try to show in the last twich even more animation was not working ,
or even being called by the script.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2016 14:07
It was not that they did not work, but I was incapable of using them properly, such is the joy of live unrehearsed broadcasts What was the crux of your question about broadcast #21 as I guess I did not answer it in my broadcast #43. Was there a specific command you where interested in?

devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2016 21:12 Edited at: 16th Apr 2016 08:21
@lee yes sods law do something live and guaranteed something will go wrong.
my question was not a mock or insult , but as you marked in the twitch and in the scripts
placed comments or question marks as you was working on the script,
just as you said in the above post, you was incapable of using them,
just wanted to know in my post that the commands in the script were working.
before following the twitch tutorial again. the twitch was very informative.
but lee has a habit of going into programmer mode x2 speed mode, leaving people scratching their
head. when something does not work,
found what i was looking for or refering to, https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215230
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Lets play a little more with the platform scripts ...
see if we can move on it ..Multi directional and jump off at any time ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 15:59
How about drag and drop FBX files, and what changes may need to be made with the textures and fpe file.

Thanks.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Lelando
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Backgammon, usually.
Posted: 22nd Apr 2016 03:25 Edited at: 28th Apr 2016 08:04
I'd like to see some time on a twitch broadcast discussing use of the radar system.

I always watch to the sessions after-the-fact, and I really enjoy them (I binge-watched the first thirty-some episodes once I discovered GG). I'm in Seattle, USA, and that's early in the morning for a night-owl like me! But if I find out you're going to do this, I may try to get up early and watch live, so I can ask questions, too.

Thanks, I really do enjoy learning.

Cheers,
Leland

[EDIT: 2016-04-28] - Hey Lee, thanks for covering the Radar in yesterday's broadcast! Cheers!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
What about making a custom weapon? I'm sure many would appreciate a how to on that. Perhaps not with the modelling part, just tweaking a standard weapon to do something different? I dabbled with my old Commando game with a golden Uzi, but had to try to reverse engineer it from studying the existing ones.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2016 15:58 Edited at: 5th May 2016 11:55
How about fixing the video bug live ....
When you stand on the trigger the video plays .... click left mouse to skip and the video stops but the audio keeps playing till the end ..
Very annoying
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 5th May 2016 10:24
Quote: "How about fixing the video bug live ....
When you stand on the trigger the video plays .... click left mouse to skip and the video stops but the audio keeps playing till the end ..
Very annoying "

That only happens in the test game, when you port to standalone that doesn't happen, so i'm not sure if it's a bug rather than just a placeholder for getting out of it while testing.

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2016 11:42 Edited at: 5th May 2016 11:57
Quote: "That only happens in the test game, when you port to standalone that doesn't happen"

Your right but....The only problem is it wont let you skip it ....
Ideally pressing LMB to skip like in testgame would be an advantage
PM
AceRimmer
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: classic British heavy metal mostly
Posted: 13th May 2016 22:05
The sliders (tab/tab)...

I would like to see a session covering the slider settings again

Dynamic lights vs baked lighting performance differences

Saving a level's slider settings - eg all the light and fog (etc) settings so that they can be copied/pasted into the next level, or into day/night trigger zone.

How to call up different custom slider settings from a trigger zone etc.

And I never miss catching up on the twitch streams later when I get home from work. Its been a great series so far.

TGPEG
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2016 22:11 Edited at: 17th May 2016 20:28
My question for the next broadcast is regarding global illumination. When will my soulless test levels go from looking like the above in the attached shot to the below? (particularly leading on from the SAO broadcast last week as the two systems are linked).

Also, how about creating us a cube map environment shader for making things shiny? I've found about 50 shaders on the internet, all of which work excellently on my shader editing program but once in GG just make the entity show as black - I must be missing something fundamental.

Attachments

TGPEG
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2016 18:27
To clarify my above post, I was talking about indirect lighting/global illumination/colour bleeding and all that good stuff. The above screenshot fakes it using more lights to light up the shadows so if you have a white wall with white light hitting it, you place a very dark grey light next to it so the surrounding shadow gets lit up as if the light is bouncing. Equally if you have a red floor being hit by light you might place a sort of burgundy/dark red light where the light hits it to then bounce coloured light onto surrounding objects.

You can fake it (as I did above - not very well) but it's very time consuming and quite heavy on the light mapper (it also produces some odd results sometimes).

You actually mentioned in the broadcast about having that on the F4 button in future so it sounds like we're on the same page anyway.
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2016 14:40
I'd like to see if it's possible to do cut scenes. For example you go up to person A and talk to them, while doing so person B will walk up to person A, talk to them then lead the player to another area automatically (without any player interaction).
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W7 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
AstrobloodKnight
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys i am wondering something is is possible to make a mod/script that will allow you to spawn in unlimited amounts of a AI for example a round based game where the player is to shoot targets or maybe even zombies for points and see if they can get the highest score possible. Atm is seems like all you can do is spawn in a object then hide the Ai until such time as you want them to spawn in but that is not what i want to do that requires spawning in Millions of AI's in order to do what i am talking about. maybe a respawnable feature where you can respawn same enitys back at full health or even a spawner object that spawns new ones as the old ones die. any idea
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2016 17:09
Here is the script from Broadcast #49:

-- LUA Script - precede every function and global member with lowercase name of script + '_main'

spawnmaker_points = 0
spawnmaker_cycle = 0

function spawnmaker_init(e)
spawnmaker_cycle = 0
end

function spawnmaker_main(e)
if g_Time > spawnmaker_cycle then
spawnmaker_cycle = g_Time + 6000
for e = 1, 58, 1 do
if GetEntityLUAHealth(e) ~= 99999 and GetEntityLUAHealth(e) ~= 10000 then
if GetEntityLUAHealth(e) <= 0 then
Spawn(e)
end
end
end
end
Prompt ( "Your Score Is " .. spawnmaker_points )
end

AstrobloodKnight
Years of Service
User Offline
ty
PM
AstrobloodKnight
Years of Service
User Offline
only downside is it doesnt work with the current vision of the gameguru 1.13 when is 1.131 coming
PM
Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2016 00:50 Edited at: 26th May 2016 01:01
Hi
Just saw the broadcast (49) on YouTube and I was wondering if there was a command to return an entities name. ??

if there is it would make scanning for enemy a lot easier .

Also is there a command to get the total number of entities in the game or the highest entity number used??

It would be nice to be able to get and set the contents of any of the properties as it would enable us to expand their usefulness enormously.
THE GLACIER IN THE MOUNTAIN MUST MELT BEFORE THE RICE IN THE VALLEY CAN GROW.

CPU:i7-4720HQ Mem: 16G Graphic: GTX 980M 8G and intel HD4600 OS: Windows10
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 20:21
You can get the entity name with this command:

string = GetEntityFilePath ( e )

For more information on new commands, check the bottom of the global.lua file

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 21:25
Quote: "I was wondering if there was a command to return an entities name. ??"

3Com wrote a little script for me a while back to show how to display the name of an entity

i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2016 03:50
@LeeBamber
Quote: "You can get the entity name with this command:

string = GetEntityFilePath ( e )"

Thanks lee for your reply

Quote: "GetEntityFilePath : string = GetEntityFilePath ( e ) -- returns the entity file path to be used for helping inventory image systems"

As global says that is good for the file name but I was interested in the name you enter in the properties box.
As I understand it multiple entries can have the same name so the can be spawned together.
So I can have a group all named enemySquad1 constituting of say a couple of soldiers, a mortarman etc.
I could then spawn with one command which is great .
But if I want to know if they are all dead for points or before re-spawning them I need to make a separate table and modify their individual ai scripts to hard code their names so they can be added to the table. Forcing me to maintain multiple versions of basically the same scripts(the only difference being the name which is already in the proprieties!) .
Being able to grab the name directly from the properties fields would be much easier as I would not need separate sets of scripts for each entity name.

I can not imagine it would be hard to add.
You have to be able to access the name property for both the spawnifused and transportifused commands (you must take the ifused field and compare it to the name field both of which are property fields in the entity.

Also being able to grab the name directly from the properties could make setting up basic conversation systems easier. Just an idea.

@Belidos
Setting up a table with entity names in it is certainly one way to go.
I was hoping to leverage the name that was already stored in the entity properties field name.
Having 2 sets of names to juggle for each group while developing is a pain. I would have to make copies of all the ai scripts for each group simply to and the correct name to the table.

Accessing the property fields for an entity in lua is just an idea, A good one I think.

Anyway I am taking a break at the moment from GG to explore AGK ( wish I had time to do both but there's these little things like eating,sleeping etc I have to squeeze it)

Thanks guys
Pleasure as always

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2016 15:25
Quote: "
@Belidos
Setting up a table with entity names in it is certainly one way to go.
I was hoping to leverage the name that was already stored in the entity properties field name.
Having 2 sets of names to juggle for each group while developing is a pain. I would have to make copies of all the ai scripts for each group simply to and the correct name to the table.

Accessing the property fields for an entity in lua is just an idea, A good one I think.

Anyway I am taking a break at the moment from GG to explore AGK ( wish I had time to do both but there's these little things like eating,sleeping etc I have to squeeze it)
"

Not sure what you mean here. The script simply displays the actual name of the entity you are looking at from the name entry in its properties, you don't need to change data in tables or anything.

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
As belidos said, its done in the init(e) part via the little bit of extra code to tell it to grab and store the name (you do not define the name in the script, but via the editor).

However you do need to assign a script to any object you wish to grab the name for so it would be nice to have a command that can return the name for any object (including static)
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2016 19:01
What I want to see?
Well... what I want to see, is imposible to do.
So, a very self-explanatory video, than you do not need speak high level english, to understand what the author is doing there, would be enough 4 me.

You know that sort of video than the author say nothing, and you understand all he does?

it is not a claim, since I already know this an english forum and it is good 4 me. but due than you give the chance 4 suggestion, well...

Thanks alot guys, I've tried to see some of yours videos, althought I allmost understand what you are talking about (because my poor english), I've found them as very interisting, and full informatives.

I really want to give all you a thanks 4 this extra work.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2016 01:02 Edited at: 30th May 2016 01:04
@smallg, @belidos

Quote: "As belidos said, its done in the init(e) part via the little bit of extra code to tell it to grab and store the name (you do not define the name in the script, but via the editor)."

Ok I get that I have to call the above function from within the script of the entity I wish to name. but I still have to hard code the name in to make that call.

You say I can get it from the entity properties but how???

The above function simply passes the contents of the parameter "name" into the table entry e of the table e_name.
I still have to place the contents into the field name.

Can you show me an example of the actual call as it is in the entity script then I will be able to see what you pass in the name field that gives it the contents of the name property.

Thanks

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2016 01:09 Edited at: 30th May 2016 01:09
name in the script is calling the contents of the entity's name field in it's properties.

Attachments

Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2016 02:23
@belidos
Yes that is what I am after but the 'name' field in the script is just a parameter as defined in the function header definition.
Its a nil at time of definition .

Quote: "name in the script is calling the contents of the entity's name field in it's properties."

Something must pass the contents of the properties field 'Name' into that 'name' until that happens the 'name' parameter is a nil.

I need to see the call that places the details from the property field 'Name' into the passed parameter called 'name'.

I do not have to define the 'e' in to call as this is passed into the script by the engine via the entities script function parameters but 'name' is not defined as a global or passed in via the entity function parameters??? therefore cannot be passed out as a parameter to the 'getid1_init_name' function.

So something else must be being passed.

which is why I need to see an example of the call to the 'getid1_init_name' function as it would be placed in the entities _init script.

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2016 02:27
I have no idea what you mean, all I know is if you put that script on something, it will prompt "Hi nameofentity how are you!"

if the entity was called crane it would say "Hi crane how are you!", if the entity was called susan, it would say "Hi susan how are you!", and so on.

Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2016 04:26 Edited at: 30th May 2016 04:35
Right thanks to a bit of experimentation, II have it.

its all in the function name.

if you use the extension _init_name on the initialisation function call in an entity, the engine provides 2 parameters filled by e and name
if you just use _init you just get e

seems a bit of a strange way to go about it .

So I'm happy I now know how the parameter gets filled. I knew it had to come from the engine just did not know how you prompted the engine to provide it.

thanks for your help

shame you can not do the same with the _main function could save having to set up the table.

PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 11:21
Just a reminder to myself to mention a new GameGuru game up on GameJolt. Link here: http://jams.gamejolt.io/adventurejam2016/games/salute-2-the-original-adventure-contest-entry/149873

Mathiasdam
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey would love to see sometime you making a survival game I know there's some awesome scripts which can make it easier in the store already
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 12:07 Edited at: 1st Jun 2016 12:08
Quote: "Hey would love to see sometime you making a survival game I know there's some awesome scripts which can make it easier in the store already "

There's already been a twitch broadcast on making a survival game

MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 13:24
Still would like to see how to do cut scenes.
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W7 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 16:42
If you want to be specific on the type of cut scenes (over and above the Story Zone marker), let me know the details and I will be happy to do a twitch on it. For the Broadcast #50, I have attached the scripts I created.

Attachments

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 17:09
Well, I learnt something in todays twitch, I never noticed that when you select a property it shows a description at the bottom, never even saw it there lol.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 17:51
Thanks Lee.

Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2016 08:07
Well explained Lee thank you

PM
Mathiasdam
Years of Service
User Offline
Well i meant more like Open world survival
PM
Bikay
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 11:04
hi guys,
Am trying to import a character i,e superman with his cloth(wings) in gameguru.When i import it seem nothing happens with his cloth i mean it should
wave like a flag.So can anybody show me with a video tutorial how do i import character with cloths in gameguru.

thank you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:20:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:20:39