Product Chat / Do I want Windows 10 ?

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2015 21:42
Just wondering what GG's input would be on upgrading to Windows 10 when it come's out next month!

By the way...
Ventrilo anybody?.....I run my own Ventrilo server on an old XP machine and can hold up to 8 clients if any of my Guru friends want to voice chat send me a PM ! I'm always interested in getting to know fellow Devs,Script writer's, and Artist for sharing knowledge/hints & tips and maybe a little coffee chat but I will not allow any Hanky-Panky on my server!

Cheers
sHn33Ky
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2015 21:52
I personally wouldn't go anywhere near any new version of Windows until at least one Service Pack is available. Too many holes in the security early on for my liking.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2015 22:05
Quote: "Too many holes in the security early on for my liking."

I agree.
Also wonder about win10 + gg relationship.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
ShN33Ky
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2015 23:17
Sounds like common sense.....I have a nice lenovo y590

Processor: Intel(R) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System,x64-based processor

NVIDEA GeForce

I bought it just for Game making and took a big chance upgrading it to 8.1 ...2 months after new! I think I'll hold out and keep my eye on what works Now!
Processor: Intel(R) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable) System type: 64-bit Operating System,x64-based processor

Start the day by righting your wrongs then end you day right so you don't have to do it again tomorrow ...

sHn33Ky
mickeyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2015 23:24 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2015 23:52
@ snowdog & 3com
How would you know windows 10 retail is not released yet everything has its bugs don`t knock it till you try.
If you don`t like it don`t use it your not tied to any agreement that makes you use it.
You could always use a diffrent OS.
Would you not use GG if it was only going to run on 10 only
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
So far I have used GG with Windows 10 without any issues ...The Final beta at least ..
Anyone who buys a new pc after july will have Windows 10 whether they like it or not so I guess there's no avoiding it at some point in the future.
So far I quite like it ...However I would never go with the downloadable Upgrade...

For me its a fresh install or not at all ..... Upgrades are sluggish and just a paste over the top in my opinion ...that's why so many have problems saying their programs don't work after upgrading

Just my thoughts ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 00:52
Quote: "For me its a fresh install or not at all ..... Upgrades are lento and just a paste over the top in my opinion ...that's why so many have problems saying their programs don't work after upgrading "

That's my point.

@ mickeyb

I like windows system (working with, since w 3.1).
But this does not prevent me from seeing that window is like Swiss cheese, full of holes that is compromising your safety.
I've had to deal with many viruses, Trojans, etc. the last famous "police virus" on my German neighbor computer, and also their computer and its operating system is all in German, the language of which I have no idea, and can you imagine the scenario.

And my above comment has to do with ShN33Ky comment about Ventrilo......, does not with GG.
So, I prefer try the OS before let people entry into my machine.
Just my thought, if I still have the right to have my own thoughts.

3com

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 01:20
Quote: "For me its a fresh install or not at all ..... "

I agree, and I will only do a fresh install when things become buggy with what I've got going. It now takes 4-5 days each to install all the software/games/media/content that I currently have on my computers. I had to do this recently to my laptop after an "incident" with UE4. I won't go into details but it was a one in a gazillion chance that things happened the way they did and at the time they did, and my machine wouldn't recover without a fresh install. Anyway, when necessary, Win 10 absolutely. On a whim, no.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
ShN33Ky
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 01:27
I'm not to worried about running my vent server with regulars I know and trust from here! like I said it's on my old XP machine and there's nothing any hacker would want in that machine trust me! I have been in the TGC forums for about 3 years now and have had the privilege of meeting some smart good people here! Plus I can use a Dyn DNS service to avoid sharing ip's!

@3Com

Like I said your opinion sounds like common sense and I welcome that above all else when it come's to talking Tech! I also believe synchromesh is right about a Fresh install of an OS! I'v dealt with enough viruses and malware issues in the old XP days and Had to re format many times! Nobody wants to deal with that....
Processor: Intel(R) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable) System type: 64-bit Operating System,x64-based processor

Start the day by righting your wrongs then end you day right so you don't have to do it again tomorrow ...

sHn33Ky
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 02:15
I hate "Format c:", because the reazon jerry said above...

Quote: "It now takes 4-5 days each to install all the software/games/media/content that I currently have on my computers"

3com

PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 19:03
I'm running Win 8.1 since dec.2014... 6 months now.
It's good, no reason to upgrade change my system now and for the next 1-2 years.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 19:13
WINDOWS 7 64BIT is fine for me, and I would only consider a clean install version too !
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.
Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2015 00:50
I tested several of my coded programs on Windows10 through the Windows Insider program. For me, it's an amazing system. Win8(.1) is for win10 that, what win Vista was for Win7. Win10 has very good stability, better performance than any windows before and... the start menu is back . Good new feuture is that Android Apps are working and you can play XboX Games.

The update gives you the choice, to just upgrade your system or make a clean install. But I will by it on DVD because...I want to have a DVD.

It's no marketing I'm doing here. The last Windows Versions, I handeled it like discribed here: First install after the first ServicePack. Win10 suprised me in the early versions.
~ And when I sometimes clos my Eyes, my mind starts, spinning around.
Bradaus
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I tested W10 on my table PC and on a VM. too slow and very crappy. Navigation is annoying and it is worse than w8.

And as we all know nothing is every really free, there will be a catch. Either they will be collecting more "user" information from the free release or they will have some form of advertisement attached in later updates.

W7 is still the best option in my view. W7 and Ubuntu are the two main systems I run.
More tutorials and freebies on my website
Win7 Ultimate 64bit, i7 , 32GB RAM Gskill, SSD, GTX 680, Logitech G19
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And as we all know nothing is every really free, there will be a catch"

Not so much a catch but a convenience for Microsoft ..

They eventually want everyone to be on the same OS hence being free .... It makes life so much easier for them.
PM
Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2015 11:04
The Navigation in Win10 is basicly not different to Win8.1. Small Changes, nothing really big. In my VM it's faster than other systems.

Quote: "They eventually want everyone to be on the same OS hence being free .... It makes life so much easier for them."

I think this too. Another point is, that they want to make Win8 forgotten. And win10 will be the "last Windows". They change their product delivery to an update basis. No Windows 11/12/13. In Future it will be just "Windows". That's difficult whene there are many (old) different Windows Versions out there.
~ And when I sometimes clos my Eyes, my mind starts, spinning around.
Sparrowhawk
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 19:06
I've been running 10 for months and it's finally more or less stable. My big issue was the poor driver support, but that's mainly sorted now.
In terms of performance and usability it's way better than NT6.3 or NT6.2. Windows 7, (nt6.1) is obviously tried and trusted, but if your on 6.2 or 6.3 I see no reason not to update.

I usually do fresh installs where possible, but the upgrade process is straightforward, bearing in mind every version of windows since vista is a derivative of NT6, there shouldn't be massive issues with direct updates, traditionally troublesome drivers (Amd etc,) I'll usually remove totally for the upgrade, but in terms of software compatibility no software I tried was messed up by the upgrade, indeed MS made it troublesome to get the 8.1 ISO for a fresh install from 8 systems.

Game Guru works on it fine by the way, I've been using it on 10 builds since last September
Custom Mac Pro (2014): OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) and Windows 10 Pro:

Octa-threaded Xeon E5 v2 @ 3.7Ghz [9775]; Dual AMD FirePro D500 (3GB VRAM Each) [3769]; 12GB RAM [2517]; 512GB SSD [9074];
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 14:38
I just had something good happen, depending on how you look at it, of course. The hard drive on my laptop died, so I replaced it with a 1TB SSD, installed Win 8.1, antivirus, Steam, and GG with no store assets. Nothing else. On Wednesday, I'm going to do a fresh install of Win 10 if I can get the iso and not just the update. We will see how it goes!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 15:27 Edited at: 27th Jul 2015 15:29
Quote: "I'm going to do a fresh install of Win 10 if I can get the iso and not just the update. We will see how it goes!"

Same here .. Im all ready with a fresh Windows 7 on another HDD for the upgrade .....
I don't think an official ISO will be available yet at least for sale anyway.....
But from what I have been reading ...once you upgrade you can then download Windows 10 in an ISO format. However it does mean a fresh installation using your key if you want a total windows 10 fresh install..

Im going for fresh install as well if possible....
Not keen on keeping it as an upgrade ...always feel it plonks it over the top and seems sluggish after.
Been using 10 beta for some time on another drive .... I quite like it so far
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2015 01:00
Quote: "But from what I have been reading ...once you upgrade you can then download Windows 10 in an ISO format. However it does mean a fresh installation using your key if you want a total windows 10 fresh install.."

That's what I've read, too. That's why I think my hard drive failing was fortuitous. It takes 4-5 days for me to get everything on my laptop (or desktop) and running the way I like so having it fail less than a week before 10 is released is much better than having it fail at any later date. I plan on starting from scratch. New (much faster) drive, new OS. I've never really like 8 or 8.1, so I am really looking forward to 10!
PM
Peregrinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2015 02:26
What does Windows 10 really bring to the table? Return of a Start Menu, DirectX 12, tighter integration with Xbox One and services ,and what else? Is there something going on under the hood that's vastly improved? Because everything I just listed doesn't benefit me at all personally. Already use Windows 8.1 64 bit with Classic Shell and it's worked out great.
sularus oth mithas
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2015 02:57 Edited at: 28th Jul 2015 03:07
Quote: "What does Windows 10 really bring to the table? Return of a Start Menu, DirectX 12, tighter integration with Xbox One and services ,and what else? Is there something going on under the hood that's vastly improved?"

What lies under the hood remains for me to be seen. Syncromesh has been using the beta for some time now, and he likes it. I have gotten along with Win 8.1, but outside of it's amazing backward compatibility (at least for me), I have nothing really positive to say about it vs. Win 7. It appears, at least at this time, that Win 10 will be the last "numbered" version of Windows. Microsoft has typically supported it's operating systems for about 10 years. That means that they should support 10 'til around 2025. After this version, or perhaps even further incarnations of this version, it seems that the "Windows" OS could be offered as a service, not an actual product. I say get it for free while you can. The free upgrade offer is good for a year, and I am putting it on 3 machines personally. Not all at once, of course! I am going to try the fresh install from the .iso after performing the update from 8.1 to 10 on my laptop, then probably just use the update on my other laptop and one of my desktops. If anything goes wrong, of course, I will have the disk image to recover with on either of those machines.

So I guess what it brings to the table is roughly 3 additional years of support vs 8 for free! More if you're upgrading from 7 (which I am on 1 machine)!
PM
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2015 11:05
I agree with synchromesh
Quote: "However I would never go with the downloadable Upgrade..."
, I also would like to install a fresh OS. I think I will try it on another machine first before I decide to put it on my main machine.

I am realy fed up of windows 8.1, no matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of all of the annoying side swipe issues.
HP Pavilion Laptop, AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) Graphics HD Graphics 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 8.1), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2015 12:04
Quote: " Already use Windows 8.1 64 bit with Classic Shell and it's worked out great."

Same here.
However I'm going to remove the dust to daemon tools, for next coming.

3com

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Windows 8.1 is pretty good its what I use now ..... But being self employed and working on customers computers its something I have to know about and go through the process ... and I have taken a liking to Windows 10 after so much use ...

Otherwise .... I would probably still be on Windows 7 which is Great !!

PM
cycleops
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Fallout 4
Posted: 29th Jul 2015 00:10
I have Been using Windows 10 since it was released to Windows Developers. It is an improvement over windows 8.1 and is very stable. I myself have been using it as my only OS for the last 6 months with only one issue with software compatibility which has been fixed. Like I tell most people who ask me about upgrading any program or OS, if what you're using now is working for you don't change it. If you are still using Win7 or 8.1 and you like where you are at there is no need to upgrade. If on the other hand you are miserable with Win8.1 go ahead and upgrade. Also as a side note, Windows 7 just entered extended support, so you may want to take advantage of the free upgrade while its available.

One last thing. You can download the Windows 10 install files and transfer them to a DVD or USB drive for a clean install. The install manager gives you the option of downloading the ISO.

Just my opinion, Hope this helps
PC-I7-3770K 3.9Ghz / 32gbRam/ 2xGTX 970 SLI

Laptop-Asus ROG G750Jm/ 24GB Ram/ GTX860m
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@cycleops

Nice info thanks
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2015 02:58
Quote: " The install manager gives you the option of downloading the ISO. "

Good to know, thanks! I had read you had to update to 10 before being able to get the .iso (at least that was how it was worded). Regardless, it gets released tomorrow and I have the day off, so either way, guess what I'll be doing? On a side note, with the new SSD, my laptop boots to full desktop with wireless internet connected in 20 seconds. GG doesn't seem to load any faster, though. It's not my first SSD, btw, I put one on an old P4/XP desktop a couple years ago, and that one still boots to desktop and wireless internet in about 30 seconds. Also, not to stray too much off topic, Intel and Micron announced today their joint development of a new NAND technology that will make those SSDs pretty much obsolete.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "GG doesn't seem to load any faster"

Really !! I thought it would be instant on an SSD
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2015 03:57
Quote: "I thought it would be instant on an SSD "

It's not! LOL, I expected it to be also. I do not understand why! The read speed on this drive is somewhere between 550MB/s and 600 vs. 25-30MB/s on the old one (based on stats I've read elsewhere). I've only run it once, didn't really care to bother with it any more than that, it was pointless since I really had no assets installed. Now that I think about it, I was also simultaneously running Windows updates (there's a gazillion of them of course, any time you install an OS, unless you happen to be doing it on day one (where I will be tomorrow! ). Perhaps that slowed things down a bit.
PM
cycleops
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2015 06:22
Yes, you can go the upgrade route or the fresh install route. Windows 10 is still really just Windows 8 with a new UI.

If anyone needs an ISO of the latest build I can compile it and place it on dropbox. You will still have to go through windows update for a Serial Number, but if Microsoft isn't allowing consumers to do a fresh install, I don't mind helping out. This does not violate Microsofts software agreement as long as you have your own Serial, and I will not include any of my serial numbers in the ISO.

nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2015 08:21
i got a reminder that i can upgrade to windows 10 for free. i have windows 7 in 64bit. it's kinda stable and working well. i don't think i should risk to spoil it all by installing a new windows now. maybe later.
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
cycleops
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2015 20:30
Here is the link to Microsoft that allows you to download an .exe file that will build you a dvd or a usb install of windows 10.

Hope this helps anyone looking to do a fresh install.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@cycleops

Thanks ...I found that this morning ....took me all day to download it though ..... Still at least I can install it just the once
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2015 22:50 Edited at: 29th Jul 2015 23:09
I so far have it installed on one laptop and one desktop. I must say I like it so far! I did the laptop with a fresh install and the desktop as an update. On a blank map in GG on the laptop, I get 300 fps whereas before I would only get about 125-150. I am happy!

Now comes the grueling task of installing the rest of my software, assets and other media. Not happy about that! LOL
PM
Inertia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2015 23:37
Before upgrading Windows it's always wise to make a disk image just in case something goes wrong or you want to revert to your previous OS. If you need help doing that (and creating a rescue boot disk) then I suggest following the guide in this article: How to Create an Image of Your PC Before Upgrading to Windows 10.
Win7 x64 | i5 @3.3GHz | 4GB RAM | GTX580 1.5 GB
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 12:09
Hate re-install all the stuff again, but this is the cost of the progress.

3com

PM
ShN33Ky
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 13:40
I got my upgrade notice yesterday for windows 10.....I just check'd "hide this update" and moved on with life!!

sHn33Ky
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 15:14
Just put the update on and even this seems to have speeded everything up on my machine including having more FPS on GG. I am going to re-install a new version of Windows 10 now to see how that does. Very impressed so far.
HP Pavilion Laptop, AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) Graphics HD Graphics 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 8.1), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
Devcore35
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 15:32
Hello,

I had Windows 8.1 x64.
I installed the Windows 10 x64 morning.
I did not notice anything about a change of FPS.
However GG works fine on Windows 10 either the publisher or the test of a level or a level compilation and launch all works well
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 00:41 Edited at: 31st Jul 2015 00:49
Quote: "Just put the update on and even this seems to have speeded everything up on my machine including having more FPS on GG."

Did the same for me, in fact it approximately doubled my fps! Of course, that could be a combination of the new SSD and a fresh OS install (Less than 20 seconds from pressing power button to full desktop/wifi connectivity!). Anyway, I do like this much more than 8.1, it's more PC oriented than 8.1, almost as much as 7 and prior. Of course, if you are using a tablet, it would work well for that, too. I've put it on 3 of my machines, 2 laptops and a desktop. I'm not looking back.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 07:14 Edited at: 31st Jul 2015 07:26
just a small programmer's tip for anyone wanting to install Windows 10 and don't get the 'Get Windows 10' app.
This is poop.

1. Run command prompt with admin rights.
2. type in WUAUCLT.exe / updatenow
3. Go to updates page and check for updates
3a. make sure you are already up to date with Windows 7/8/8.1 updates.
4. Download Microsoft 10
5. If error "Modern Setup Host has stopped working" or other error , ignore this is also poop (it has already downloaded the files).
6. In windows explorer, go to View->hidden items (make sure checkbox is selected)
7. In windows explorer still go to this directory : - C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Windows
8. Run (in admin mod) the setup.exe
9. Windows 10 will now install.
10. IF you go to the same directory as step 7 , copy all that to USB stick and you have a ready made Windows 10 installer
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen).
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Easier still ...just go here ... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Select your version ...run it ...and select "Upgrade now "
Took about an hour to do mine ...
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 09:42 Edited at: 31st Jul 2015 09:44
yes you can do it that way too ha, but I found I still got the error above, so went directly to the downloaded files area
Either way as long as the downloaded files are there you can install Windows 10.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen).
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 12:31 Edited at: 31st Jul 2015 23:18
Thanks synchromesh,
just updated, it took one hour, without any problems.
edit
but i got many problems now with Game guru.
Game guru starts, but i can't get the properties anymore of a entity.
If i click properties. nothing happened.
So i am not happy now.
standalone are not running anymore.

any suggestions or help?

harry
Harry
PM
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2015 05:01
no I'm not going to update to windows 10. I been really happy with windows 7 and have no reason to upgrade. if it's not broke don't fix it.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@HarryWever

Something we have noticed you can try ......
Right click on desktop ....go to display settings ....ensure your font size is set to 100% ... then try again

This could be the first Windows 10 bug ....
Let me know what happens
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2015 09:11
Thanks Synchromesh,

I also found it. put the slider back to 100% and everything is working oke

Harry
Harry
PM
ShN33Ky
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2015 21:29
install'd Windows 10 yesterday.....Not sure if I did a full clean install but I un-install'd everything that I ever put in my machine,did a few disk clean up's,defrags and chose to save nothing during OS set-up! Then my nightmare began! Wasn't to bad !......basically re-install'd all my programs via disk,direct x,Nvidia Geforce(NV has an Update for W10) from the base W10 OS then put my machine into defrag which took about 4 hrs ! Things ...even GG were a little buggy at first but now running very smooth after mostly admin approvals were applied and configing setting and tweaks!

I do notice a windows.old file in my c:programs.....if any of you chaps know of a good cleaning method or app let me know please! Also found out my ISP provider can not provide me with any descent Mcafee Anti-virus because Mcafee is not ready for windows 10 yet!!! ...that realy tick'd me off

sHn33Ky
Inertia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2015 21:56
ShN33Ky wrote: "I do notice a windows.old file in my c:programs"

It's there in case you want to roll back to your previous OS. You can delete it following the instructions here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-10-a.html

As for your antivirus program, you might want to consider Avast! as it is free and compatible with Windows 10.
Win 10 x64 | i5 @3.3GHz | 4GB RAM | GTX580 1.5 GB
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 16:25:31
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 16:25:31