Product Chat / Drivable Vehicles!

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2015 09:56 Edited at: 19th Jun 2015 20:33
Drivable Vehicle Demo

With the new 3rd person controls and ability to attach any "character" to the player start maker, I have decided to poke around with the idea of a vehicle. By increasing the acceleration and overall speed you get more of a driving motion. All we really need now is deescalation option in the player start maker. I was hoping to use the flash light as a way to light the way as if the car's headlights are on. Unfortunately the "flash-light" in Game Guru is a 360 ball of light rather than a spot light or directional light rather.

If you animate a car model to have motion in the tires you can essentially make a working drivable vehicle for your game. Funny enough if we were able to switch back and forth from different entities as the player or even from FPS to 3rd person you could recreate Grand Theft Auto :p

There's a lot of areas Game Guru needs to approve upon that will help in all types of games you wish to make. Performance is becoming a very big problem for me as I have filled half the map with a city and it slows to a crawl once i drop the civilians in. So sadly I had to take out all the trees but for 4. I also am unable to get the waypoint system working on sidewalks and the road. Even with he forceobsticle settings in the FPE.

We also need the ability to add more than two sound files to emit from a single entity. I can't describe the stress of trying to find work arounds for this. I don't want all my sound emitters to be characters.

In any case I guess we are making some progress into expanding the types of games people can make. Hope you enjoy the little video.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2015 10:06
this is looking nice! for my purpose this would be perfect. really a nice idea!! driving a car or a boat would be a great thing for GG, i was already missing this but before that i would find it much more important to advance the performance.
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice! Reminds me of GTA, Shame you can't switch between the car and a normal character.
Julian
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2015 11:25
For performance, it would be great to be able to remove unwanted terrain i.e. be able to increase/decrease terrain size. Just a thought TGC.
mickeyb
Years of Service
User Offline
They need to get the game engine working fully with out any bugs before stuff like this.
like it has been said multiplayer and third person should have been plugins developed after this was working
without fault
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2015 19:09 Edited at: 19th Jun 2015 19:16
Quote: "For performance, it would be great to be able to remove unwanted terrain i.e. be able to increase/decrease terrain size. Just a thought TGC."

You'll notice in the video at times when you can actually see the distant terrain it sort of just pops up. That is because I have the visible terrain size set quite low. It has helped wit the performance a bit.

With more work with decals and particles you can have the car emit smoke when health is low. There are issues with the collision box of the player that I can't seem to figure out. I am assuming its hardcoded. Be nice if the player itself could have an FPE file. The ability to switch from first person to 3rd would be amazing. You could do that in Fallout and Skyrim and its handy in some situations gameplay wise.

I'm still quite frustrated we can't have more than 2 audio files per entity. The work-arounds for this can be a complete headache. Why are we limited here? In FPSC I was able to have more than 2. I really really need this for a project I'm working on.
Devcore35
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2015 20:10
Very impressive! Congratulations !!!
Indeed the limitation of two sounds is too tight. It would have GameGuru can withstand at least 10 sounds to make a very decent thing including the possibility of honking car, etc.

In any case great video! I love!
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2015 20:28 Edited at: 19th Jun 2015 20:35
I really need the extra sounds without using the "OnAlert" character stuff. I hope the developers see this request as its very important for all types of games.

Quote: "Nice! Reminds me of GTA"

That's the intent. I was playing GTA5 and Watchdogs the other day and got inspired. I used two camera methods one that is more reminiscent of GTA 1 and 2 top-down and the later games which have more dynamic camera controls. We need camera LUA commands. If we already have them, can someone let me know?

Quote: "In any case great video! I love! "

Thanks I'm going to expand on it a bit more to show what happens when you run people over. As morbid as that sounds. Will include destroying crates and exploding barrels on impact. Also moving traffic if I can get the waypoint system working on roads and sidewalks (this may be a GG bug preventing this).
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2015 21:41
Quote: "They need to get the game engine working fully with out any bugs before stuff like this."

With honesty what I have created here currently requires zero scripting. We just need a few more player options (within the editor) to make it work smoother.

Also the player should walk backwards when you press backwards, not suddenly rotate. This should be considered even when using a human character like the wizard. Since we can orbit the camera now it makes sense that the character walks backwards instead of suddenly turn around. Skyrim and Fallout use this method of player control in 3rd person and so does our current FPS mode. It would help out a lot with vehicles too so they dont suddenly rotate backwards once you press the back button. They would simply reverse.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2015 15:26 Edited at: 20th Jun 2015 15:27
That's really great
But I hope somewhere in the future they'll add car physics (+ flight physics), that we can easy create racing games, or GTA clones
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2015 15:59
Hold down the right mouse button and the walk pattern will change to what you want.
It is a toggle for the orbit camera.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work. Seems people are playing about with all sorts of ideas of late Nicely done.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2015 18:25 Edited at: 20th Jun 2015 18:27
Quote: "Since we can orbit the camera now it makes sense that the character walks backwards instead of suddenly turn around. Skyrim and Fallout use this method of player control in 3rd person and so does our current FPS mode. It would help out a lot with vehicles too so they dont suddenly rotate backwards once you press the back button."

@Teabone - If you set the "Run Mode" from Yes to No the player no longer turns around but goes backwards, if that is what you meant.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2015 20:11
@Bored of the Rings Thanks! I didn't play around with that option there.

Not a lot is required to make the driving aspect completely functional. We need a deceleration field under the acceleration field. Also some how need to be able to change the size of the collision box around the "player". Also the ability to add an incline and decline angle for the player so you can go up hills and down hills properly (visually).
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking at this TGC should be able to add real physics based driving in, which would be awesome! No rush of course, we all want those speed updates first!

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2015 22:23
Anyway we'll need a rigged cars to looks realistic.
I don't wait race cars like "need for speed" in GG, but a simply rigged jeep for drive thru the jungle.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 8.1 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 01:42 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2015 01:48
We will also need new LUA commands to control force direction and strength. I think some of this information is already in GG since explosions seems to move objects and some guns are able to do the same. Seems hard-coded though.

We actually had plenty of force commands in FPI back in FPSC-Classic. We will need them in Game-Guru to make hitting zombies with your car a lot more fun

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2015 02:02
Quote: "We will need them in Game-Guru to make hitting zombies with your car a lot more fun "

I always wanted to make a Death Race 2000 sim at some point!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 10:00
I think its possible to create helicopters at this point. If anyone has an animated helicopter model they should test it out by enabling it as a 3rd person player.
Bradaus
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I was thinking about a helicopter script lastnight. I was thinking if the jetpack script was edited you could use that as the script to make it so the player can fly the helicopter.

Is this car script going to make an appearance in the store?
More tutorials and freebies on my website
Win7 Ultimate 64bit, i7 , 32GB RAM Gskill, SSD, GTX 680, Logitech G19
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 19:39
Its actually not a script at all. Its a single line you can add to the FPE file of any model you have.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 14:31
I am looking forward to adding quite a lot of new LUA commands to make these genre switches an easily accessible part of GameGuru. I think putting the power in the hands of the scripters initially, and then backing it up with more controls in the IDE based on the best of what the scripters produce is the right way forward. After performance, I have a gut feel it could be AI or Graphics next, but the forthcoming voting board will reveal all!

ANNOUNCEMENT: Watch a game being made and ask GameGuru questions live on WED 8TH JULY at 6PM BST on Twitch at: http://www.twitch.tv/gamegurulee
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 05:01:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 05:01:00