Product Chat / Boss Characters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
any suggestion on how to "easily" ( lol ) make boss characters ? the NPC that's the biggest / baddest on the field ?

I saw the parameters to make it resilient and hit harder - but nothing to make it physically larger and unique from the rest, make it stand out like a boss character.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 02:17
You would have to make and rig one right now, you can transfer the standard animations from the stock one if you have a 3D program. A fbx file is offered as an example here: https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/209329
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
i can import motions and rigged characters ?! yessss!! i thought it required extensive lua scripting to do - and that's where I cringe ...are there easy ways of doing this without having to go too extensively into programming lua ..ie - can I mod an existing lua script in notepad ? - i'm having a hard time finding info on this topic - specifically custom motions and importing rigged characters. I did find that carrara and wings export to x - both of which I have.

Thank you!
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 02:41
Will wings do animated xfile? If so then you could import the fbx file to it, the skin a mesh to it. this will make it so the ai_soilder script will work with it. As the scripts are tied to the characters for animation calls.

soldiers are way point drive and come off the waypoint and chase and kill you when with in a certain range.

Zombie characters are free roam and rely on range to control there actions in there script. They are not recommended for waypoints.

Once you have your animations done just list them in the fpe file like the others and the scripts should be about 90% there.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
any white papers on the topic ? i'm as noob as it gets with game guru, and game design for that matter. lol

I kind of understand what you are saying, but don't understand the system enough yet to know exactly what you mean - ie like how that translates to placing what in which folders, and what special info the x file has to have to work with game guru.

I may be able to do this from carrara 8.5 which would probably be the better choice than wings.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 02:50
there is no white paper or instructions on it. there is a paid for program here: https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/208098, that has a decent success rate of importing characters.

I do this myself in 3d max, but have been doing it for 5 years. it takes about 6 weeks to learn if you no nothing about rigging and animation.

noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
i pretty much have a character factory with iclone and poser game dev and a ton of game ready characters - aimed at real time animation.... I mod more than rig....but i also have messiah where I know how to make basic auto-rig characters also. I also know a little rigging in modo - just started it actually..... This is a tutorial I made for using basic rigs from messiah to import to iclone. https://youtu.be/J3M684KTzNI

but the whole x and lua is alien to me - lua a little less alien, because iclone uses it also, but I never had to dig into that aspect of animation yet, as iclone is the ez animation system that does much for me ....in the same spirit as game guru does for making games.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 03:11
This is what is required right now for characters in GG right now.

This is videos from they guy who created the character system long ago. All of this is still valid info

https://www.youtube.com/user/bond1TGC/videos

noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
thank you so much for the insight, reviewing everything now! - Cheers!
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 03:24
Don't forget the rag doll one also, it should be the newest one.

Use these as theory to compare the operations in wings 3D.

once you get the mesh attached to the bones your getting there.

Your welcome.

noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
ya, i watched it, I was just actually discussing the rag doll approach with a friend, and how it can be used that in lcone for ragdoll physics too! cool stuff!! trying to find parallels in gg with what i've already learned to hopefully speed up the learning process hehe! #alchemy!
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 04:15
Cool. Keep us posted on your work flow.

noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
well, this is what i've found so far ....carrara x - fail ....wings - mesh only ....

but fragmotion is compatible - just had a successful import ( not that i know what I'm doing yet, but gg didn't crash, i saw a mesh and I was able to assign it to be a character....granted I'm using an older version of this software ..so i can't suggest getting this as I can't verify functionality on the latest versions http://www.fragmosoft.com/fragMOTION/index.php

I didn't test if it works as a character though, but I was able to import a poser character with it's rig.
does the character HAVE to be enabled for ragdoll, the double rig ? or will a regular single rig work - less the physics - like instead of ragdoll, a death animation ?

I'm still trying to evaluate if i want to go this far - fragmotion made it seem easy enough, but it doesn't mean it's functional yet. ...would be great if it were this simple though! bosses may be highly overrated if this gets too complicated lol
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
You don't have to use ragdoll, if you creat e your own death animation you can call it in the exit(e) function of the script attached to your character and it'll play when he dies

To use the stock ai scripts you do however need to set them as characters, you also won't get any blood if you dont.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 12:25 Edited at: 12th Apr 2015 12:28
there is nothing simple about character animation, it take time to learn. either you want to learn it and not spend 100's of dollars, to pay someone to create it, 100's of dollars for some one to rig and animate it.
Or you can buy the 3rd party app that will allow you to Change the animations and attach your mesh to it.

noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
nah, character animation is actually pretty easy. Rigging is easy too, depending on your choice of software- i learned it in 3 days pretty much, and had to learn it on like 3 different systems. I posted a tutorial of how to do it quick and ez above. It doesn't cost hundreds of dollars , you can use http://www.mixamo.com for autorigs if you don't have the time for it. they are less than 100 dollars.

The problem is the x format - it's pretty obscure and outdated. Even microsoft calls it a "legacy" format https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb174837%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

so it's really not an opinion. I'm sure the autodesk fans are cool with it, but it's not an autodesk only world anymore. I call it 'Autowreck" myself lol, even though I have that too heh!

Game guru really needs a good manual, and at least obj import to be more useful to the noob community it's reaching out to. for the help file I'd particularly like something simple that gives a brief description of each of the entries in the panels, some are self explanatory others not so much.

Cheers
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 18:57 Edited at: 14th Apr 2015 18:59
X format will do the job just fine. More formats are schedule for future updates.

and if you have them rigged and animated then which software wont export the x file format? No morphs are allow, and the simpler the rig the better it works.

You can get the FBX file of the biped that they used for a lot of the standard animations, retargeting it to your mesh and then you have a base rig to export the character out in x file format.

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/209329

they do need a manual or a wiki, but requires a lot of upkeep in an evolving software.

noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 19:24 Edited at: 14th Apr 2015 19:37
Thank you, great idea - i'm skipping the boss character idea for now.

Many of the noob community aren't really noobs per se', many are just people that want to do simple things quick without the extra massive detail, a product like this can be a very useful marketing tool - where the focus is more on making entertaining eye candy without having to spend weeks or tons of money on a simple project.

I'm really just trying to get a feel for how time consuming different tasks are, so I can come up with a reasonable workflow....something like dropping objects and making a content rich explorable map ...more than focusing on mechanics which is where a majority of the technical detail falls.

For the help file, imo - a simple thing that screen caps different pages of the ui with notes next to them will do for a majority of the newbies - the techies are the ones that will want more advanced papers. But for say like some marketing guy that just wants to pitch his product with a quick zombie game that has lots of branded items in it. This is the perfect tool for those kind of projects. Old english perfum zombie wars "does director hands" I can see it now! lol or for that matter a simple 2nd life type of showcase for modelers. It doesn't have to be a game, it could simply be a 3D world to showcase models. Make it easy for them.

Thanks again
PM
noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 19:58 Edited at: 14th Apr 2015 20:36
oh and for the musician - which i am, a simple way to change sounds on stuff quick and make and save different sound sets. I got how gg is doing it now, but it's not very practical for a musician / sound designer - which you will attract a ton of attention from that audience with this.

I have some ideas for interactive music videos with cutscenes - my strength is sound design - and i do some modeling and animation - so my focus is more about interactive eye candy and an audio experience. Hence my resistance to anything that turns me into a programmer, which i can be, but i have more fun creating art. I'll just work with whatever mechanics you have providing you allow me to make my personal libraries to showcase stuff that i make. music, graphics, and models.

for arguments sake, i'm repurposing the game development concept with a virtual reality concept that has game elements. Which is really the essence of machinima if you think about it, gary's mod, space / medieval engineers, minecraft, the sims, and now Grand Theft Auto 5 with their movie tools and eula that allows people to use that footage - that's a bigger market than game development. Unity and unreal own the hardcore game developers. The advantage here is that i can sell my game, I can't resell grand theft auto 5 or gary's mod with my music and models.
PM
J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
noob-i-am@

Have you seen this script by SisterMatic on the Steam forums...
attach the script to any non static model entity to allow it to play music and play video..

add this to the FPE file of the model..

to set the name for the music and the name for the video..
NB> sound/music must be 0 slot
video can only be the 1 slot...

I know it says sound but it will play video..
PM
ccliffy
Years of Service
User Offline
I am shocked there aren't any characters in the Store. I'd love to get a robot or mech-type enemy
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2015 17:40 Edited at: 16th Apr 2015 17:40
Quote: "I am shocked there aren't any characters in the Store. I'd love to get a robot or mech-type enemy"

download the steampunk collection is a good start - i have just added a video on my page
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/207801?page=7#msg2515306
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
noob-i-am
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you guys, much appreciated!

I can see the scripts being a big item in the shop as that stuff is like garlic to a vampire for machinima film makers. heheh!

I'm very happy to be with game guru now, but for now, I may just take a moment to explore GTA 5's new Editor mode for movie making while GG evolves a little more - at least for imports. My goal is really finding interesting ways to make new music videos, but game guru would allow me to sell the game I made a movie with and that is super exciting, for me at least

Cheers
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 12:05:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 12:05:27