Free Models and Media / where can I get cartoon models?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm just now starting to learn to build models and It is really hard for me to get good results because I'm new to this and I am looking for cartoon models so it will help me improve the world I am building with some models that they little better than mine.
If anyone has models and plans to upload them to the store where I'd love to know and buy them.
If someone wants to sell in another way I would love to know.
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 10:48
The latest version of the engine (V1.01) has cartoon models as stock media.

Upon Steam release, I can imagine there will be artists selling cartoon models in the TGC store.

You mentioned that you have been learning to model yourself. My advice is, stick at it. Modelling cartoons can actually be easier than making the more realistic models. You have complete control over how things look, if you want to completely stretch the proportions of things, it will be accepted due to the nature of the assets.

Keep practising and I guarantee, you will make something that you will be happy with.

I will be remaking all of my tutorial videos, as I need to re-brand them to match the Game Guru brand. If you like, I could add cartoon models to the list of videos?

Cheers

Jay.

Dany
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much. I saw the models and it's one of the things that made me so excited about. I do not understand why people would not want to make such a modeling pack as you say it is easier to build these models and there is no competition in the store. regarding to your proposal of course I will continue to learn and try to build my own models. Thank you!!!
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 13:33
Good stuff. Glad to hear you are going to continue to learn.

You will quickly realise the freedom that you gain once you can model yourself; if you need anything for your games, you can just make it.

I might actually start working on a cartoon pack for the store! There is a definite niché there!

Cheers

Jay.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 14:20 Edited at: 25th Feb 2015 14:26
Quote: "Thank you very much. I saw the models and it's one of the things that made me so excited about. I do not understand why people would not want to make such a modeling pack as you say it is easier to build these models and there is no competition in the store. regarding to your proposal of course I will continue to learn and try to build my own models. Thank you!!!"

Being able to make your own models is when you can really make your own unique game ...
I struggle with blender but funny enough im getting great results with something as simple as sketchup and its a good learning curve...
You cannot UVMap as such but you can place all your required textures on a 2048x2048 pic and line them up in Sketchup. Then normal Map it after.

I made a little segment pack for a training area's using sketchup.

Its not to shabby

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 18:13
I've just started having a look at SketchUp myself and it's looking like it's going to be VERY easy to do buildings with.

Think I might start off doing the buildings themselves in SketchUp and then exporting them from SketchUp to Blender to do the unwrapping and stuff.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM
Dany
Years of Service
User Offline
unfamillia: If you make such models I will be the first to buy them
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 20:42
Quote: "unfamillia: If you make such models I will be the first to buy them "

Consider it done buddy!

I am going to be very busy with the Steam release (lots of new people); but, I will definitely be working on some models in the background.

Cheers

Jay.

Dany
Years of Service
User Offline
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 21:48 Edited at: 26th Feb 2015 21:53
I actually made a ton of cartoon themed models for FPSCx9 (Classic) that I never got around to releasing. I may actually throw a bunch of them up on the store for free. I too do plan to do a more focused Cartoon pack in the future for Game Guru. Though hoping for a bit more scripting support to come in before I can really have some fun.

What types of things are you looking for? I definitely recommend practicing and practicing with modeling. Especially if your interested in the cartoon style of things. Lots of great tutorials up on youtube.

And as unfamilliar said, just ask questions if you need any help. Its what we are here for
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
stor
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much!!! When are you going to bring the models to the store?
PM
Dany
Years of Service
User Offline
If someone is preparing models and up them to the store please let me know so that I will buy them.
grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2015 22:36
I played around with cartooning one of my models a few months ago to get an idea of the effect as I was thinking of putting together a game where the user started off in the 'real' world and then was transported to the same world but the cartoon version of it. One of the models is as below which is a cartooned version of one from the French Village pack I have been working on.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
stor
Years of Service
User Offline
Has anyone started working on cartoon pack?
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2015 13:12
I had plans to work on a cartoon pack, but, it quickly turned into a Borderlands-esque pack.

You can take a look here. (from that post onwards is the pack updates)

I will be revisiting the cartoon theme after this pack, but, there is a lot to do for this one!

Cheers

Jay.

Dany
Years of Service
User Offline
look coooool. Very nice!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 23:28:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 23:28:22