Product Chat / OS install

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi All, I have read some posts on the SPF Classic forum about installs on Linux (Ubuntu) and the outcome appeared to be use windows.

I have 3 systems at the moment

Windows XP Only has 3 GB ram
Windows 8: 2 GB ram. Don't blame me it is the wife’s. I have installed SPF reloaded and it is very very slow to the point I am not able to even create a game.

And Ubuntu 14. The latest wine is pretty bad so installing using that is pointless.

I am overseas at the moment so I am stuck with these limited systems, I have a faster computer back home (32gb ram, 4 TB and GTX card) however the cost to ship it over here is about $800.

I will probable be over here for a few months yet so my question is:

What is the minimum system this can run on, and by minimum I mean still run smoothly. I am guessing minimum of 4gb of ram? windows 7?

Any advice would be great
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 10:16
You would probably need 4GB of RAM, Windows 7 with a dedicated graphics card with at least 1GB of dedicated ram to get reloaded to currently run smoothly.

There is no official exact requirements so that is my best guess as to what will work on the latest public build.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You would probably need 4GB of RAM"

Smooth as silk with only 2 gig here ..
PM
Bradaus
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thanks The next.

Thanks also synchromesh, it may be windows 8 that is the problem. I will format the other laptop and put windows 7 on it.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2014 00:59
I'm getting along with Win 8.1 on two machines, but I'm still of the opinion that MS simply picked up the scraps of failed projects that fell on the floor, taped them together, slapped a "Windows" label on it, and released it as Win 8.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2014 08:36 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2014 08:39
Quote: "I'm getting along with Win 8.1 on two machines, but I'm still of the opinion that MS simply picked up the scraps of failed projects that fell on the floor, taped them together, slapped a "Windows" label on it, and released it as Win 8."

Actually as far as im aware.....

They needed a Mobile phone OS ..... slapped it together and thought they would kill two birds with one stone and slap it on PC,s as well

As you stated...Its bits of this and that
PM
Bradaus
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, turned out the laptop was on it's way out. I have my main PC back now so smooth sailing from here:

32gb ram
500gb ssd
2tb sata
i7
gtx 680

runs a heck of lot smoother now.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
You could always try windows 10.. Not tried it myself as I am happy with 7 atm, but I believe the beta is free (I could be wrong, just think I have heard the beta is free to test). Supposedly quite a bit better than 8.

As far as smoothness goes, it depends on what you want to do. My system runs great until it gets overwhelmed by entities, which is okay for tests and small scenes, but for large scenes spanning a good portion of the map, expect to need a very good machine at present.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Bradaus
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
now I have my computer back I can start playing with FPS more. Up until now I have only been making very little games and testing however I will start to push it a little and test the limits. Large scenes is something I really want to create so I will let you know how it goes.

Windows 7 is as far as I will go, windows 10 looks like it will be a very hungry program. I only use windows on the main computer because most of the software I use requires windows. Linux based OS are much better in my view as they are light weight and very good indexing, something windows needs to work on.

I will look at loading w10 on the laptop now it is on it's way out though as it does look interesting but nothing beats w7 (if you have to run windows).

and as for w10 better than w8, that wouldn't be a surprise based on history. XP = great, Vista = fail, w7 = great, w8 = fail so based on that trend w10 has to be good...right????

Thanks for the info DVader, I will be more active on here now and hope to be able to learn more and contribute more to helping others (not without asking some more dumb questions while I learn).

On my to do list:

Master FPS reloaded
Learn how to create my own models (buildings etc)
Maybe find some spare time to do a little work to fund it all
Bradaus
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
FYI:

If you want windows 10 you can download it here for free

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline