Product Chat / Menu and Intro System WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 15:06
Also, is there not plans to have an "in-game" menu... you know... press <ESC> to bring up load, save, settings, etc?

Brook's Law ..."adding manpower to a late software project makes it later"
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 19:24 Edited at: 26th Jun 2014 19:50
Quote: "Also, is there not plans to have an "in-game" menu... you know... press <ESC> to bring up load, save, settings, etc?"

Not in my power, as this is a separate program that only runs at the start. I was planning to add more options in here since the basic editor, but seems I need not bother doing much more. By the looks strides have been made in adding a built in menu now (hopefully my little app helped give em a nudge ). So we should see in game pause and a menu system built in. No editor to move stuff like mine yet by the sounds, but it will come I'm sure.

Edit lol, I managed to miss a few posts somehow. Steam is killing my connection at the moment

@ Lee, well, since I heard you were adding menus and such in, I have pretty much stopped work on it. I was planning to put in some of the graphics options into it next, resolution, texture size. but not sure I need to now. The main issue is sometimes it fails to load the game, I have to close the DB app down before it runs, and sometimes it just shuts down too quickly I think. Leaving it running seems to crash, or at least totally hide what happens in Reloaded afterwards, so I needed to close it down first. Switching it to a window also didn't work, which I thought may be a more reliable way. I was going to try hidden possibly, next, although, I'm sure DB doesn't like switching once started, but as I say I have put it on hold for now.

If for instance, you have a menu but no intro (video system) I could avoid the menu and go straight from the start vid to loading the game and your menu.

I was thinking of adding in a few things, mainly to make it look nicer

Of course if you have any tips how I could make it more reliable or integrated let me know! I may even start all over to make it fully functional. This was really a mad rush to get it done before the compo ended. If I wanted to really work on it properly, I would probably make the data a bit more organized Probably sit down and think exactly what I would need before plowing into it.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2014 11:03
The new titles system does have an options menu in-game now, so you press ESCAPE key and it pauses the game and allows you to resume the game, exit or change the sound/music volumes. Any more calls to have the title page disabled so it can be replaced with a separate launch application?

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2014 18:51
@Lee I would like this option as I too am working on a similar project to DVader.
@DVader I'm not stealing your idea so please don't think that I am I'm just doing my version of an menu intro system.

All programmers are playwri
PM
Imchasinyou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2014 19:11
Lee, will this also hide the loading screen on game launch?

I dont think you need to ask if this is wanted, we now have 2 users making intro systems and the ingame menu is an awesome feature and really is needed. At what point will you be adding in visuals settings and the like?

[img]http://files.enjin.com/191696/UA Members Banners/Imchasinyou.jpg[/img]
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2014 22:01
Yes I can get it to hide the title page and also the Reloaded Notice splash, but you will still have the customizable loading bar page part (which you naturally will need). No plans to add GRAPHIC SETTINGS for the next build as there are some extra works needed for that, but you will get SOUND LEVELS.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm quite happy to let my project become unneeded. I only made it to address the missing components as is. Perhaps if a few people want different options, an easy way to configure it in the ini file would suffice? In game options would still be needed, but the start menu could be disabled to allow this sort of customization possibly.

@Rustynuts, feel free, it's not as if I have a copyright on it I knocked this up pretty quick to be honest, as a test, just to see if it worked. Given time I could make a really cool little editor, I'm quite sure. Still, with tweaking my compo entry, working on my youtube channel, and other video projects, I don't have half enough time to spend as I would like on this. If I could make the loading flawless, I would have more interest

PLUS - the Steam Summer sale is on, and I am spending more time there than I should lol

Note to Lee - I'm going to play with the settings for guns. If I can't get it to feel as easy to hit people as in Bioshock Infinite, it needs improving! I noticed immediately that I could hit them from a good distance quite easily, after play testing reloaded stuff for so long, it felt like heaven. The health bar helped show you hit them for one. Perhaps an option to be looked at? Apart from that, after marveling at the fantastic graphics in it, I realized, with not too much more work, Reloaded could probably get very near to it. When you actually go back over the first section for instance, you realize how small it is when you can run through with no fighting. Of course the water effects as ever are stunning

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 21:43:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 21:43:41