Product Chat / IDE Editor Thoughts

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
yes to an id in editor without running test game please like dvader said, smallg is good scripter and the prompte script is great but, not the best way of doing it. (sorry smallg m8 lol) we do very much need that e number without effort and custom scripts lee m8.

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 13:38
Um just to add I would really really love the opportunity for dual screen then as well, so that I can have the IDE on one side and the normal editor on the other, or the option to split the editor over two screens.

I think it's important once you start working with many windows, to be able to expand the view.The other neat option would be to be able increase or decrease sizes of windows, as well as drag a window to another screen.
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 13:40
The ability of being able to hover the mouse over the entity in question and for the number to be shown somewhere in the editor, in the bottom right corner maybe?

That, or every entity that is added has its id floating above it in editor?

Cheers

Jay

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 14:45
For the next version I have made a modification to the status bar which will read "Entity : [xx] yy" where xx is the entity element index and yy is the entity element name. This will allow you to identify and target specific entities in your level via scripts. Be warned that when you pick up the entity and drop it back down, the number may change. This will be a mute point when we add the gadget which will move an entity without picking it up.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
how would this script work exactly lee m8?, would we have to put it on an entity and test game 1st or would it just tell us in top down mode before testing?

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 16:05
Quote: "yes to an id in editor without running test game please like dvader said, smallg is good scripter and the prompte script is great but, not the best way of doing it. (sorry smallg m8 lol) we do very much need that e number without effort and custom scripts lee m8."

You can just use the init function to store off the entity id and don't have to use the prompt script. It's super easy and since we now know you need an init function anyway to avoid the big "too many scripts" bug then it's no big deal.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.007
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 17:00
Right now you run the game, get your script to reveal the ID, write that down, then in ANOTHER script you could control the first entity you have the ID for any way you wish, i.e. hiding it, spawning it, destroying it, moving it, e.t.c. Plenty help here if you need more tips!

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 17:16
Quote: "Right now you run the game, get your script to reveal the ID, write that down, then in ANOTHER script you could control the first entity you have the ID for any way you wish, i.e. hiding it, spawning it, destroying it, moving it, e.t.c. Plenty help here if you need more tips!"

No need to write it down. Create a global variable such as myentityID then in that entity's init script set myentityID = e. Then from any other script, do whatever you want with that entity using the myentityID. Much easier.

System Specs: OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945, 3.0Ghz, RAM - 8Gb DDR3, GFX Card - 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, FPSC-R Version - Beta 1.007
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 17:24
Nice tip there!!

tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 18:17
Quote: "Nice tip there!!"

Thanks. Now if we could just get precise setxyz/getxyz, setrotxyz/getrotxyz, and setscalexyz/getscalexyz.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Pleased to see that my idea has been implemented, it will make scripting a lot faster for me and many

Tomjscott, yes I almost mentioned a name based ID, but didn't want to ask for something that wasn't easily added in comparison! I know getting the object ID is fairly straightforward in DB, so guessed it would be a fairly easy tweak to display it in Reloaded. It's quite likely the pick command is used for object selection so should be not problem sending that to the properties panel.

I have to get some work done on my game tonight, or it will never get finished in time! I'll see if your code works for the specific objects I need. Not keen on adding it to all of them at this point though( as in all my entities in the map, theres a lot now)! Unless I am misunderstanding your explanation of use? I'm just going to add it to the object I am after for now see how that goes. Thanks in advance

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 260GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
tomjscott
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 19:30 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 19:31
Quote: "Not keen on adding it to all of them at this point though( as in all my entities in the map, theres a lot now)! Unless I am misunderstanding your explanation of use? I'm just going to add it to the object I am after for now see how that goes. Thanks in advance "

It's just supposed to be added to any entity you are interested in manipulating through scripts globally. I happen to have it on just one or two objects right now myself. It's definitely a per use basis.

However, if we did have the ability to name objects and that name was accessible in script then this sort of thing could be added the default.lua script to build on the visibility culling concept and have every entity not only globally store off its e value, but also assign it a name. Then you could have a global function to get an entity by name. That's not really possible at the moment though, but I'm just thinking ahead.

wildman4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 00:09
You have my vote!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 02:30:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 02:30:10