Product Chat / Have your say April - V1.006

Author
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@coolkid123

This issue sounds like it's a problem with not having a clean install. Please check your files to ensure that all .dbo files in the guns folder have been deleted prior to testing again.

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\FPS Cr
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 13:19
Thanks for the continued feedback over the UK Easter Holiday. I was exploring Castles and the Welsh Coastal Walk while you where beavering away at the latest version but I am back in the office and will remain for the next many days. Here is my feedback on your feedback:

@unfamillia : I added a new mode (not sure if it's in the beta) which allows you to set FLAT=2 and it removes the terrain altogether, allowing you to import your own universe model. The speed up is pretty insane as there is no terrain shader to process As soon as we start to see imported levels from MAX/MAYA/LW we should get an idea whether the FLAT=2 mode is something more users will try out.

@synchromesh : A lot of features in your top ten My top ten might seem a little boring by comparison; scripting, AI, stability, wider compatibility, polish, performance, cleaner code. I do agree more content is needed, and it is a task I can delegate and outsource so there is potential there!

@morphtactic : You should be able to get any resolution your card/monitor/DirectX can support, even 2560 x 1440. If you can email me (lee@thegamecreators.com) your DXDIAG report, I can confirm whether you should be able to get the above resolution from the standalone level.

@BarZaTTacKS : Anytime SLI is active, the shader work is divided amonst two powerful GPUs which means you will get a substantial jump in performance. No special CrossFire/SLI code has been written for the latest beta, but once we have tackled the fundamental issues of the engine we can look at these higher-end optimizations to get you even more speed!

@Jerry Tremble : Glad you're getting good metrics! More performance improvements to come

@Landman : We had implemented GPU Occlusion but I soon removed it due to the unacceptable stall on some systems. We are in the process (when I say we, I mean Ravey) of writing the occluder as a CPU software occluder which will eliminate any stalling and allow us to save significant performance hits on larger more complex levels.

@m2design : Yes we are painfully aware of this new performance issue that has sprung up. It is due to the way the AI system can get really intense under specific conditions and destroys the smooth game play. We are aiming to tackle this issue at the same time as taming the AI behavior system, kill two AI birds with one Ravey stone.

@Colosso : We aim to have most of the features you are familiar with from Classic, including the ability to chain levels to gether and complete them with title, loading, end game screens, plus the additional cool logic of allowing non-linear progression which means jumping from level one to level five, to level three, e.t.c. which means much larger open-world style game worlds are possible.

@Imchasinyou : When you install a new version, it will simply overwrite any old files sharing the same location. You can use the uninstaller to clean up the files before you install the latest version, and it will ONLY remove files that have been previously installed protecting your old map files and your downloaded items. For the crazy jump, you can now set the Jump Speed from the player start marker properties panel.

@coolkid123 : If you can create an FPM and email it to me (lee@thegamecreators.com) along with a very detailed step by step on how I can see the issue you are experiencing, then I can sort it for the next version. Thanks.

@All : The CONKIT will not be making an appearance anytime soon, though the folder was added to the installation to reserve the folder. To avoid further confusion, I have removed the folder from the latest installer until the files are needed.

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 16:05
@Lee Evidently the Flat=2 mode did not make it to this beta. It still brings up the flat terrain.

Here's how I set my setup.ini file. Maybe I am not doing it right.

[RELOADED]

vsync=0

;superflatterrain=0

FLAT=2

riftmode=0

smoothcam
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@All : The CONKIT will not be making an appearance anytime soon, though the folder was added to the installation to reserve the folder. To avoid further confusion, I have removed the folder from the latest installer until the files are needed."

PM
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If I have scene that has no water featured anywhere why do I get such a dramatic increase in my frame count when I press 2 to turn off water?

In a scene with just a flat world, with no entities my frame count is 160, with water turned off (Press 2) the count jumps 200.

Why is water "on" (the default) taking so much rendering power when there is no water to render?

I think the next beta should address this problem.

Windows pro 8.1,64 bit) |AMD FX-6200 Six-core-3.80 Ghz |CPU PASSMARK 6,142 |Memory 10GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 SC |GPU PASSMARK 4,114
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 22:04
Quote: "If I have scene that has no water featured anywhere why do I get such a dramatic increase in my frame count when I press 2 to turn off water? "

The water is still there it is just hidden under the terrain.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 22:09 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2014 22:12
Quote: "Why is water "on" (the default) taking so much rendering power when there is no water to render?

I think the next beta should address this problem."

Its not actually a problem. Its just part of the present build....Its already been suggested and no doubt as the build continues then options to turn off water and sky for interior maps etc will probably be incorporated.

Besides the water is only default at the moment...From what I have read Lee has plans for lots of water options later.
PM
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
"Problem" was a poor choice of words on my part.

The point I was hoping to make is that wherever we (the camera) are located in the screen world there are calculations being made for each screen pixel for the vertical scan about to be made to render the scene.

If calculations are being made, and I think they are, for water that is hidden this has an impact on speed. The water calculations should be skipped for areas in the scene that contain no VISUAL water.

I am not advocating for an on/off water solution, just don't waste frame rate for an element that does not visually exist.

When one looks at the ground the eye (Camera) does not send information to the brain (screen) to tell me anything about the water table 50 feet below.

I was just wondering if it is possible to accomplish the same in a computer program.

Windows pro 8.1,64 bit) |AMD FX-6200 Six-core-3.80 Ghz |CPU PASSMARK 6,142 |Memory 10GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 SC |GPU PASSMARK 4,114
Titantropo
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Diablo III
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 02:08
Quote: "I am not advocating for an on/off water solution, just don't waste frame rate for an element that does not visually exist.

When one looks at the ground the eye (Camera) does not send information to the brain (screen) to tell me anything about the water table 50 feet below.

I was just wondering if it is possible to accomplish the same in a computer program.

"

The same with trees. If they're far away, no need to render them/render them in full.

Here, there and everywhere.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The same with trees. If they're far away, no need to render them/render them in full."

I think you can adjust the fogging to deal with that ?

Just a thought..
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 22:58
@Pirate Myke : Then FLAT=2 must be my version So much stuff has been added these last few weeks it's hard to keep track. The mode is pretty cool and will give huge boost in performance and reduction in memory for those who know what to do with it.

m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Lee

Thanks for the explanation about detecting if the water should be calculated.

I think I now understand what the problems are. For me the issue is now laid to rest.

I don't suppose you could send a scan across the screen and if it comes ba
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 01:07 Edited at: 25th Apr 2014 01:11
so far i think 106 is ok had some issues with floating grass and some odd reflections

as to speed it appears the same if not a slight bit better but nothing noticable.

as to the memory it seems to be happy and i am happy with the way the engine allows for mass items. to that, great work. i am sure that it is temporary. but it seems on a gtx 660 2gb gpu and a 6 core fx 3600 and 4gb mem and on w7 i could be getting a bit better than the lower end machines, which it sounds like they are doing better.

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@science boy

Almost all of the performance improvements were aimed at lower spec machines. Looking at your specs, I imagine you were already getting pretty good FPS rates?

SC

i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 10:23
I am I guess but I hit the optimisation bar When adding tree a few trees from the packs. which drain fps to approx 18. But I hear a work around is being sorted. Looking forward to some commands like screen shake. barter and enemy ai options. Need a bit of oomph now

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 17:33
Version 1.007 has some oomph planned

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 23:19
splendid, looking forward to the water features and the like. with ai will it be able for none scripters to be able to make intelligent dudes or do we have to text book? or live on the genorosity of scripters?

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 15:42
We will focus on the core LUA framework, and create a few starter scripts, then the community will run rings round our official scripts and you will get more. As packs are produced, we will create scripts for those as well to keep you provided. You will find LUA a VERY simple language to learn, and even small changes to existing scripts will yield great results for your games!

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 20:39
i spent months trying to make a hud picture come up on screen when that dude or entity came into range. i could get it to appear then it stayed. so for 3 months of nightly i tried hard to suss out x10 logic and i got nowhere. hence my concerns to scripting. it took me half a year to get a diving mask working in x10 which was a fluke. tbh. but i shall attempt it

maybe do script packs for sale.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 13:43
We think you will like LUA muchly.

almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
i also said about selling scripts on store for us who cant do such things easily, its a good idea I feel for the store at some point in time.

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 17:53
@almightyhood

It is also a very easy addition in the new store, the store is designed to support any media type required so you may well see this in the future.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
which is very cool

evga GeForce gtx 750 ti boost2.0 2gb gddr5. win 8.1 quad core 4gb ram.
PM
BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys are doing awesome and I look forward to every new release. This program has allowed me to actually start working on the creative process of coming up with a good game. Before every time I got a good idea or the motivation to make a game I always got stuck at the design portion. I was never able to progress to a point where I was actually practicing my ability to create the game itself and FPSC:Reloaded has really help facilitate that progress. Since it is coming out piece by piece I also get the advantage of learning every single aspect of the engine and given the in between beta releases to experiment and learn it. I am excited to see how far this program will allow me to go in my creative process. Thank you and once again keep up the good work!!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 09:48:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 09:48:28