Product Chat / [LOCKED] The Game Creator Store

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 16:08
Hi,

We are planning on adding in the Game Creator Store to Reloaded soon.

From December 1st we will also be changing the revenue split from 50/50 to 70/30 - so that's 70% revenues will be earned by artists, 30% to TGC.

We believe Reloaded will be a huge hit in time, and so this is a great opportunity for 3D Model artists and media creators.

We will start by adding in the store and then we will be checking the current content with Reloaded to see if it works OK. Media that works will have a special flag ticked to make it available for use in Reloaded.

In time we also plan to showcase the models online. This allows web users to browse the library.

Please give us your feedback on this idea. Are you a Game Creator Store seller or would you like to be? Feedback in this thread please.

Financial Director

TGC Team
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 16:16
Sounds great to me ,i'me sure all the 3D Model artists and media creators will be happy with the 70/30 split .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 19:34
Sounds like a great idea.

GPU: GTX 660, CPU: i7 3770 Intel 3.40ghz x4, PSU: 650 Watt, RAM: 8GB DDR3, OS: Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
PM
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 19:49
Quote: "From December 1st we will also be changing the revenue split from 50/50 to 70/30"

Retroactive?

Do you anticipate raising prices to cover that split?

Quote: "In time we also plan to showcase the models online. This allows web users to browse the library."

Any (almost) exposure is good. Artist can get more exposure on content/packs available to multiple engines. A plus for all.

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 20:28
That's a fair split. I would like to see if you intend on keeping the main price-point of packs at the current $20, or if you will be more flexible (depending on the amount of media in each proposed pack)? If you intend on allowing (per EULA) the continued use of media in other engines, the accepted price-point at TGC versus (for example) the Unity Store could still cause issues for some artists. Of course there are other variables to that scenario; such as having media ready to go (per game engine), more users of Reloaded (versus another engine), the marketing strategy you have concerning commercial media for ReLoaded, etc.

If you amend the current (for future media, of course) EULA, to only allow media to be used in FPSC/FPSCR, DBC/DBP, AGK, etc.; then the above would be a mute point. To summarize:

- 70/30 split is fair to all artists.

- EULA should stipulate use of media only in a TGC product/engine (for all future media created and sold).
PM
J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 20:44
Quote: "EULA should stipulate use of media only in a TGC product/engine (for all future media created and sold)."

This stipulation is pointless, The Store itself should be what it is

a Store and not another way to restrict usage of payed models for TGC Products only.

regarding the 70/30

thats even something that would convince myself to sell my media in the store

but then again restricting the usage rights of the buyers is simply idiotic.

If someone wants to make a game with reloaded or Dark Basic then he will and if not

why not let ppl use in another engine at least this way TGC and the Artists get some more $$$.

Thats from a artistic perspective

http://j0linar.carbonmade.com/
PM
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 21:15 Edited at: 12th Nov 2013 21:16
Quote: "This stipulation is pointless, The Store itself should be what it is

a Store and not another way to restrict usage of payed models for TGC Products only."

I disagree. As I tried to point out in this thread; Most media packs in the TGC Store are sold at a standard $20 (with a very few exceptions). You can sell that same pack of media in a competing store (such as unity) for sometimes twice as much, easily. Now that TGC is proposing a 70/30 split, it matches the Unity split to the artist. However; if a customer sees that he/she can get the same media from the same artist for less at the TGC Store, without restriction on use...they most likely will do so, unless they don't want to mess about with possible conversions of said media. That becomes a net loss to the artist.

Quote: "thats even something that would convince myself to sell my media in the store but then again restricting the usage rights of the buyers is simply idiotic."

That's your opinion; although a snarky way to express it. You should check out the Torque store and see some of their media and tools that they have two separate licenses for (Indie and Commercial), with two separate price points. Apparently it's worked for them and their artists/coders for years.

Quote: "If someone wants to make a game with reloaded or Dark Basic then he will and if not why not let ppl use in another engine at least this way TGC and the Artists get some more $$$."

Probably because I don't want to engage in a race to the bottom, where paid for content is worth far less than what it should be. Devaluing the market isn't wise or viable, long-term. Check out places such as Turbosquid to see some results; talk to the artists there.

Quote: "Thats from a artistic perspective"

Everything I said was also from an artist's perspective; joined by artists with media that sells in the TGC store with great frequency.
PM
J0linar
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 22:26 Edited at: 12th Nov 2013 22:29
Quote: "TGC Store are sold at a standard $20"

I would say the price tag will just have to be raised

simply because if the ppl expect to get AAA like assets then they will have to pay 40$+

Note: am looking at this from a ModelPack perspective

There are artists that use tools and programs that alone qualify for a higher price tag.

Quote: "Torque store and see some of their media and tools "

The big difference is that the Garagegames store is not just selling the final art

they are actually supplying the buyers with the source files .max and .fbx

with that being said its clear that if The TGC Store wants to step up then it would need todo that aswell (at least in some cases)

for example Character and Weapon props...

i would suggest

adding at least .obj files of the props

and if the artists are comfortable with it then let them add the source files aswell.

At the end as a customer you should have the rights to use the art in other Engines aswell - restricting the Artists to sell their media in the TGC Store only woulde be fine aslong as they supply the source files aswell.

This way at least the customer would get the most of it and lets face it the Store is not just about TGC and Artists - it is mainly about the Customers

and how to make the store attractive enough for them.

It is great to discuss this as it shows plenty of views

and i respect them - what i would like to see is a sign of TGC

The TGC Store could be much more

but that depends on -

*restricting the artists or not

*restricting the media to FPSCR/ DarkBasic .x compatible files only

or supply of source files aswell

*and last but not least it depends on Reloadeds success

http://j0linar.carbonmade.com/
PM
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 22:48
Hi,

We would prefer to move away from selling packs as add-ons that are sold standalone. The store should be able to let you bundle what you want together and make your own packs.

We also have plans to make the store more integrated with Reloaded. Imagine people being able to download a model, use it in their game but not actually own it until they have tried it. So there would be some kind of water mark on it until you purchase it. That's more in the future but gives you an idea of where we want to direct Reloaded and the store.

Financial Director

TGC Team
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 22:56
Good points.

Quote: "restricting the Artists to sell their media in the TGC Store only woulde be fine aslong as they supply the source files aswell."

I never said artists are restricted to sell only on TGC; they can feel free to sell at TGC, Unity, Torque, etc (there's no "SquidGuild" here). I said that anything bought specifically from the TGC store should only be used in TGC products. You'll notice that only a few of the media packs include source formats, others do not (Torque). You are also limited to a total income with each asset's use (though high, it's still there).

If you want to use the assets in another engine, then there should be an additional price tier to select from (ie., another 20%-30%).
PM
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 22:57
Quote: "We would prefer to move away from selling packs as add-ons that are sold standalone."

OK, but packs will be necessary unless you can somehow force all artists to develop items in the same style that fit together in the same scene. So your concept is to break up packs and sell them as individual items?

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 23:59 Edited at: 13th Nov 2013 05:28
The problem with the store is how stuff would get buried in there, official packs always had a higher profile with an announcement of their release.

I dont see why both cant be done with packs as a deal offered by the artist, I wouldn't want to be trying to sell a bunch of related entity's separately.

It's fair of TGC to offer a better cut to the artist but still shouldn't dictate price, if an artist is asking too much for media then the buyer can vote with their wallet. With the difference in quality between artists you cant expect a pricing tier to apply.

It's a tricky one all the same as media creators for FPSC have always been generous with pricing, as quite simply, they love the ethos of affordable assets and we realise many are young entry level. Still, if we want Reloaded to attract more pro users and artists then it's inevitable that your going to see real price hikes and if some of the artists continue with low prices, such as bond1 and Errant who do real quality work, then pro artists are going to feel they can't compete and may be put off.

I agree there should be different pricing for use in TGC products and an additional fee for use in other engines or media with source files. I keep prices low for users around here I have no intention of offering the same deal elsewhere where other artists charge more, simple

Quote: "restricting the Artists to sell their media in the TGC Store only woulde be fine aslong as they supply the source files aswell"

You have this the wrong way round, if only selling through TGC you sure wont be seeing the source files jncluded. Artists are under no obligation to supply source files in any circumstances.

To get a clue check Turbosquid for TGC characters and see for yourself how even they don't sell cheap for use in other engines.

Quote: "We also have plans to make the store more integrated with Reloaded. Imagine people being able to download a model, use it in their game but not actually own it until they have tried it. So there would be some kind of water mark on it until you purchase it."
Since only the texture would be 'watermarked' how would we prevent folks taking the mesh and texturing it themselves? Particularly since you just provided them with the texture layout watermarked or not. Still, the mesh is the artists IP and wont be free distribution without permission, something I wont be giving personally.

So if it's part of the terms for putting media into the store I am screwed.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 04:49 Edited at: 9th Dec 2013 01:35
I've recently become an assets developer for the TGC Store (even though I've been using FPSC and DarkBasic for many years) and I was a bit discouraged by it at first after realizing the popularity of its usage had dropped. I do not plan to just pump out rapidly tons of models for the sake of making some money. I want to actually produce meaningful, unique, high quality assets of all kinds ranging from static entries to dynamic and characters that would help provide our community with more tools to breach the boundaries of their imagination.

So I'm quite pleased to hear about the store's return, for Reloaded. I've already started making models and content for Reloaded (mostly static). Though that 70/30 percent ratio sure is encouraging to even do better.

Steohl72
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2013 12:46
I agree that the price on models needs to get raised, at least on the better models. There is a need for harmonize prices with other game engines.

I mean, why sell you models at TGC Store when you get at least the double at another place?

I think TGC will have to think out a stretegy for what they want with TGC Store.

It´s my understanding that TGC wants that the TGC Store shall be a place for all different kind of game engines, not only Reloaded. In that case I think you need too market it much much more. There is no ad for it on the homepage for an example.

The 70/30 split makes sense and is a step in the right direction.

I also agrees with Wolfy - stuff gets burried in the store. I think a new design and tree level would be good. And the search engine does not work 100%

The place needs a facelift
PM
AeroFiles
Years of Service
User Offline
Much can be done to the store.

But make it so that old models still have a chance to show on the front page in a random section.

And the 70/30 sounds fair.

And if you ask me, models released for FPSCR store should be for FPSCR only, not Unity or similar.

I for one would not like that at all (as a developer of assets)

Also the prices should be higher for good models (compared to what they are in FPSC)

Also a better system for developers to check on their sales account would be nice.

AeroFiles - addon content developer for fps creator (store)
loopster1616
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 16:01
This is exactly what I was wanting to see. I do not know if I ever sent the e-mail to you or Lee or Chris, but I was going to ask the same thing and that is a 70/30 split just like Unity. I felt that "We" as modelers. The real life blood of the whole FPS Creator community. Should be able to get a nice reward for the long hard hours of content design and etc. Even the music. Me personally besides model content have added about 30 music tracks to FPS Creator in the last 2 months or so. And it all is perfect for gaming. I was thinking to myself. Man I sure would love to have these tracks in FPS Reloaded. Now it seems it will happen and I could not be more happier. This is great! Thanks for being cool guys. This will help FPS Reloaded even more and bring more content makers to this ever growing game platform.

Guadalupe Alvarado Jr.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2013 12:20
Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments on this subject, plenty for the TGC team to digest and think on. The comments were getting a bit heated and it would work better if we can avoid arguments and conflicts.

The store certainly raises a number of issues which we'll talk about here in our team meetings.

- We want to encourage both hobbyist and pro artists

- Longer term we would like to let you sell source files if you so wish

- The issue with the try before you buy has to be looked into. Maybe some encryption can be used so the files are never exposed to the user until they buy

- Packs are clearly something you all like. Our vision would be that you could create a pack yourself, give it a logo/banner/description and then offer it within a packs area on the store. So they still exist but in a new format and under your control.

Keep commenting!

Cheers,

Rick

Financial Director

TGC Team
J T Huges
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 21:46
That'll be great to have the store active in the reload.

can't wait.

Live Long -N- Rock'n Space Cowboys
JONOVID of OZ
Years of Service
User Offline
I have used the TGC Store with my old FPS Creator.

So allowing web users to browse the library. yes! But can you have search by content type! not just by artists. So an example, I'm looking for a set-piece or scenery like a car or van to put in to my world. or so you can search for weapons only or indoor furniture only. of a set time period, -Medieval only. or by price tag.

Quote: "we will be checking the current content with Reloaded to see if it works OK"
So is their a app for that? Like, can I get a copy for my own use?

B creative & have Fun.
loopster1616
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 02:26
To all the people knocking the new 70/30 split. I think it is totally fair. First off it is a privilege to be able to sell your content in the engine period. Second The Game Creators as a company. Have to have money generating from FPSC Reloaded to help keep the development going. It cost a lot of money to pay programmers. Nothing is FREE these days. Thank god they are allowing you to do this!

Guadalupe Alvarado Jr.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 07:33 Edited at: 30th Nov 2013 08:16
I don't see anyone disagreeing the 70/30 split is fair

Artists are as entitled to earn a living just as TGC are, so no, it's not a privilege and besides development is being funded by users around here already, some of them the very artists who you speak of above, I don't think I will be seeing a 70/30 split from sales of Reloaded. Just setting the record straight a little here

Quote: "Thank god they are allowing you to do this!"
You say that as if TGC do it out of the kindness of their hearts, reality is they earn revenue from it, so does the Artist.Thing is the Artist does all the work in this case, it's a business deal, pure and simple......fair enough...

I will be honest, I don't want to see the same quality requirements as the old store where it was posted so long as it met specs, I don't want to see things buried under a pile of free low quality media which made it cause it has the right thumbnail.
BlackFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 08:16
Quote: "From December 1st we will also be changing the revenue split from 50/50 to 70/30 - so that's 70% revenues will be earned by artists, 30% to TGC."

This seems ideal to entice new and budding artists that want to get into developing media for the engine. However...

Quote: " I would like to see if you intend on keeping the main price-point of packs at the current $20, or if you will be more flexible (depending on the amount of media in each proposed pack)?"

This has yet to be addressed. I'll add my thoughts below.

Quote: "- Packs are clearly something you all like. Our vision would be that you could create a pack yourself, give it a logo/banner/description and then offer it within a packs area on the store. So they still exist but in a new format and under your control."

Using your comment above plus the question KeithC raised, let me ask this. An artist spends a large amount of time developing a huge pack. They want to have it become an official pack. It does, and out of a $20 price tag they make two sales, which means all that time they spent is not covered. In essence, doing this for a living in one location will end up costing the artist more in the long run. Are you planning to come up with some sort of "pricing" guide for packs? A 70/30 split would be good for standard packs, but what about those that make huge packs (and I know of one person off the top of my head that has made a huge pack). If the price is going to remain at the magical $20 mark, then the split change won't really amount to much. In other words, your split may be good for the general packs produced, but the artists that go beyond and create big packs should be given some sort of consideration for either a slightly higher price or a bigger split (ex: 75/25 or 80/20). After all, without the artists making the packs for us developers, we'd either have no developments or need 5 years + just to do everything- level design, media creation, texturing, etc.

I realize that the majority of your purchasers may not want to spend large amounts of money on media packs and you as a company need to make your portion, but artists are a vital cog in the cycle and should be given something to entice them to not only feel proud of their work but keep them around. I have no issue paying for a media pack from any of the artists we've purchased from before (they know who they are) at the price they want. Their work is valuable, as is their time.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
any1 else having trouble finding anything on the new store?, says 5447 items in store but I have yet to find a single 1, im logged into the engine and using the store which im also logged into and still not 1 item to buy or look at?. is it just me or

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 12:55
Quote: "any1 else having trouble finding anything on the new store?, says 5447 items in store but I have yet to find a single 1, im logged into the engine and using the store which im also logged into and still not 1 item to buy or look at?. is it just me or"

I think you will only be able to see the ones that are compatable with reloaded.

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 15:20
Hi,

Yes the only object checked off an approved is the Short Refinery Pipes object. We'll be contacting all artists and asking them to check their media with FPSCR moving forward. This is just a first quick step in getting the store setup for Reloaded.

Rick

Financial Director

TGC Team
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 16:08
i also made some stuff for reloaded. If a want to become a seller,artist how does that work?

Gr

Harry Wever
PM
Steohl72
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 09:23
HarryWever, you can send a mail to: store@thegamecreators.com
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 23:58
Surely you can just change the filter to see the other objects as I did?

I've just tried to use my points to buy a few things from the store via Reloaded and it says I have 0 points. Am I missing something?