3rd Party Models/Media Chat / [SOLVED] making char model instructions needed, please.

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2023 17:46
I implore someone to make a video tut on a step by step method of making a character in fuse or make human, what ever is the easiest. Then how to add the animations and complete import into GGM. Call me stupid, but I can't follow any guide that has been posted. Either it was not explained enough, or like I said, I'm stupid. I can import non character models easily. But we need a way to make our own characters. Please, don't let this go on deaf ears. Or blind eyes.
11th gen core i7, RTX 3050 6 GB ram, 24 GB Sys. ram, Win 11. Passmark score 6072.1

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2023 12:39 Edited at: 27th Sep 2023 20:32
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Hello MK83.

Oscar Wilde wrote this : "When the gods will punish us, they answer our prayers".

Please forgive me this little pinch of humor

What you are asking for would require hours of explanation.

I spent two hours to provide a begin of explanation for the required workflow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Testing the import of a customized character in GameGuru MAX.
The animations set of an existing character provided in the assets stock is applied on that character to make it compatible with the character's behaviors of GamaGuru MAX.

link to my video uploaded on my free Vimeo account : https://vimeo.com/868680516?share=copy
That video is rated 'public-all audience', therefore you don't need to create a Vimeo account to watch it.
Properties : duration 8 min43 - size 271 MBytes on my computer (probably less on Vimeo website) - Full HD - no audio.

Of course I agree that the workflow shown in that video doesn't fully comply with your request and I can explain why :

Rigging and Skinning a mesh is not an easy artistic task.
But creating a rigged and skinned mesh that is conforming the artificial intelligence of GameGuru MAX is even a lot more difficult and I am convinced that the advanced artists of this community would agree about that.

I guess that very few members of this community are able to perfectly integrate in GameGuru MAX a character created with Mixamo or with Makehuman. It is a hard work that requires skill and patience.
However I am convinced that at some points the workflow shown in my video could inspire some members.

GameGuru MAX is a game engine created by a main software engineer assisted by a team of freelance artists and programmers.
Its customers are mainly people who don't have any artistic and/or programming skills.
Trying to bypass the philosophy of that game engine is a risky challenge.

PM
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2023 13:16
Thank you, I'll watch when I get home.
11th gen core i7, RTX 3050 6 GB ram, 24 GB Sys. ram, Win 11. Passmark score 6072.1

PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2023 14:16 Edited at: 29th Sep 2023 14:19
Quote: "Thank you, I'll watch when I get home"

You're welcome.
I noticed that you spontaneously marked my post as "the answer".
However I may guess that you'll stay hungry after having watched my video.

In that video there are a few unexplained steps of my workflow :

First step : I used the Blender's template created by the artist 'bond1'. Link to his thread : https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/224123
Second step : I imported the FBX file generated by Blender, then I extracted the bones structure from that avatar (the untextured male one) and I exported it in .xml format (that is a very useful feature of my modeler MetaSequoia 4EX).
Third step : I started a new empty project in that modeler and I imported that saved bones structure created by Bond1.
Fourth step : I created a mesh consisting of assembled primitives the shape of which encapsulated the whole imported bones structure.
Fifth step : I applied an automatic skinning with the setting 'dual quaternion' for a nice amplitude of the mesh deformations according to the bones rotations.

Here is a screenshot showing a new simplified version of that mesh :

Sixth step : I exported that static rigged mesh in FBX format.

Knowing that the GG MAX importer is asking for a rigged animated mesh to allow the addition of new animations slots, I decided to create a fake animation with the free software 'akeytsu'.

Afther that as shown in the video, I imported that 'animated' FBX character in GG MAX and I applied the animation of the character 'Billy Joe' found in the default assets pack ( files/entities/characters) as shown in this second screencapture.

The next steps would be :
- texturing that character according to its uv maps.
- importing again that newly created character in its .DBO format to split its whole animation into slots corresponding to the one found in the .DBO file relative to the copied animations of 'Billy Joe'.

The main difficulty for the artists who want to create new characters could be explained by the fact that GG MAX has a special organization to store the parameters and settings of the rigged animated avatars.

- the materials names, the bones hierarchy and the whole animation are stored in the .DBO file.
- this one also contains an index of the animation's slots.
- the .FPE file contains the settings of the textures and the links to the location where they are saved.
- that .FPE file also contains many informations that are read by the Asset Properties Editor of GameGuru MAX.
- some informations relative to the character's animation are also included in the .BYC files.

About those enigmatic .BYC files, the programmer 'smallg' published a very interesting topic ( 2023-April-4th) in his huge thread relative to his collection of scripts for GG MAX. Link to it : https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/223461

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 04:12:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 04:12:51