Product Chat (Early Access) / New Comer Questions.. Before dipping my toes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Just a few questions ref Max Engine before I invest money and time! Thanks in advanced for all your assistance.

The System Requirements read very high, especially with the outcome or at least videos I've seen of the output of graphics and AI.. My laptop runs UE5 pretty fine in High scalability... Will it be fine for this?
Intel Gen 7 7700, gtx 1050, 16gig ram

Can Mixamo models and animations be imported easily?

Can Third Person perspective be achieved, wither direct in the engine settings or maybe scripting?

Can top down shooter games be made with modifying camera view and having model face mouse cursor direction and change mouse cursor to a cross hair?

Can games be built as self Exe to diateibute to others?

What's is the scripting like, is it difficult? Are there many guides or tutorials to help new comers or is it jump in deep end and hope to learn something.....?

Many thanks.

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2023 01:25 Edited at: 4th Jul 2023 01:38
Hi there.
You can download a demo of Max on the main Steam page to try it out and check it runs well on your system.
There is currently no third person in Max its mainly aimed at First Person for now.
Maximo characters can be used and imported but its not a simple drag and drop procedure yet.
You cannot make top down shooters with Max.
You can create a standalone game to share with others.
Scripting is LUA which many find very easy to learn.
Its very similar to the GameGuru Classic commands
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
I would say most definitely check out the demo before considering purchasing to make sure Max is what your after.
PM
WazMeister
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried it, early times but not too fond of the tools and limitations at this point.

Not sure why, I had the expectation of the level editor beig CSG, with vertex mode and clipping etc similar to old skool mapping tools like worldcraft and QKRaidient etc..
Will a feature such as that ever be added? The level editor or 'building creator' is very limited...
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2023 00:48 Edited at: 5th Jul 2023 00:48
I used GTK Radiant, Quake Radiant and EF Radiant many years ago and no its unlikely Max will ever have any features like that.
The nearest engine to those right now is Leadwerks on Steam.
The building editor in Max however is a first version and will be improved over time.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 21:31:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 21:31:03