Product Chat (Early Access) / [SOLVED] Stand and speak no longer works

Author
User Offline
I have just started using this software, so forgive me if the problem is obvious. Back when the stand and speak behavior worked, it had an a male and a female AI voiceover, and a speed at which the words would be spoke. Now they have disappeared, I have tried reverting to an old save and deleting the NPC that started the problem. None of this has worked. Does anyone have any idea what may have cause this, or a fix I have not found?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2023 21:18 Edited at: 15th Jun 2023 21:20
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Unfortunately the text to speech feature has been removed, only pre-recorded speech can be used now for the behavior. This is what I found on github: https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/4702
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
considering it was so over hyped by Lee when Max was first announced it seems odd to remove it and sweep it under the carpet like that, it's probably a licensing issue but if it's no longer being supported it should be properly announced.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2023 16:41
I also liked the feature, I love the charm of TTS voices and it was great for quickly adding speech to characters. I suppose I could still use a third party program to render out a wav file for TTS voices, but that is not nearly as convenient.

You could be right, it might be a Microsoft licensing issue, or maybe it was just buggy and Lee deemed it not worth fixing. I agree though, I hate when stuff gets removed or changed without any type of announcement.
Courtney
User Offline
That sucks, I suppose it is better than my software just being broken. Thanks for the help!
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2023 19:47
Quote: "When you buy a Windows (or Office) license you are granted the right to use it to generate outputs of various types. What you can't do is resell the basic tools. Without license you can’t use Microsoft's TTS voices for commercial use"

Source: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/326449/using-microsoft-tts-for-commercial-use

You both are right, it should be properly announced.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2023 18:42 Edited at: 17th Jun 2023 18:48
Surely you are not selling any basic tools ?
The Standalone game requires Windows to run and use that functionality.
If that is the case then we probably cannot use Wav audio either ?
I dont see the difference, Both require using Windows OS to make them play and function.
Text to Speech is still in Windows 11.
PM
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2023 19:29
I don't really see a problem with it either, unless I don't quite understand the legality of it. I'm guessing maybe there was a problem exporting standalone games where the users didn't have those specific voices installed on their system, or in cases where different languages were used. Maybe that's why it got removed.

I will still use something like Balabolka to render out wav files of TTS voices to use if I want. @synchromesh, I really like the processed TTS voices you used in your tutorial vids, super cool.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2023 20:59
Hmm, I bet it's the "No offensive use" bit that is the killer.

For example if someone made a game with MAX with some far right dialog and used Microsoft tools to generate the .wav files and lip-sync files, then shipped the game on Steam ... when the poop hits the spinning thing who would be right in the firing line for *allowing* it to happen? Um TGC of course.

Of course the games author is the one at fault in this scenario but Microshaft isn't going to come after the minnow are they.

Unless TGC collect together all the licensing small print of all the component parts of MAX, including all those parts built in to the potential users operating system and gets all users to tick a box saying that they will abide with them all before allowing use of MAX on that users system there is no way they can cover their backsides from any potential fallout from its use.

I have been subject to threatening letters from MS lawyers in the past, it's not a nice experience.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 03:33:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 03:33:30