Product Chat (Early Access) / Test Level Hot Key?

Author
User Offline
Is there a hot key to run the "Test Level" without having to click on the icon every time? If not I'd think it would be an awesome tool to have in the arsenal!

Thanks,
Neotracer
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2023 02:50 Edited at: 18th May 2023 02:54
Saw your post on Github i hope the do it for you but i dunno
Move hand ( maybe both ) to keyboard press ctrl+ another key
Or
Move mouse to icon and click.
Im not getting how it will be any quicker in fact it sounds like it would be more awkward.
Maybe im reading it incorrectly.
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2023 17:46 Edited at: 18th May 2023 20:14
@synchromesh - It's almost always faster to use a keyboard shortcut then to have to click an icon. Especially these days, with the prevalence of wide and ultra-wide monitors. Your hands are normally already positioned on the keyboard to almost instantly hit any key or key combo. But to hit that test game icon, you have to move the mouse from one area of the screen to another, then click. It's slower. Frankly, not much slower, but it's still slower.

As a freelance artist who works in several programs, I used to be (years ago) resistant to learning keyboard shortcuts. After all, why should I when they are all (or mostly) represented as icons and menu items? But when I started to learn a few and slowly, over time, added more keyboard shortcuts to my workflow, I found I was working faster and more fluidly. So, it's always good to have a keyboard shortcut for most things you do in any app.

Now, having said that, Test Game is not something that is used that frequently (not compared to rotating an object or using the WASD keys to move about, etc.). So, I am not sure Test Game actually needs a shortcut, but it couldn't hurt to have one, me thinks.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2023 19:14 Edited at: 18th May 2023 19:33
An essential software I install on every computer I own is Autohotkey: https://www.autohotkey.com/

If you want to set up a hotkey for Test Level, just install Autohotkey and run this attached script. I have it set up to use ALT-T to run test level, but you can alter the first line of the script to change this to whatever you want. Just open it up in notepad.

The only other thing you will likely need to alter in the script is the XY coordinates of the screen position where the test level button is located to match the resolution of your monitor. You can do this by trial and error, or use the included "Window Spy" utility included with Autohotkey. Just hover your mouse over the test level icon and it will give you the coordinates.

The script is only 7 lines, so it should all be self explanatory. I'm guessing this will likely never be added to GGMAX due to being such a niche request. This script has served me well, anything to give my index finger a rest.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Neotracer
User Offline
@bond1 Thank you so much! I will check it out as soon as I get a chance!

@Monkey Frog Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's almost always faster to use a keyboard shortcut then to have to click an icon. Especially these days, with the prevalence of wide and ultra-wide monitors."

Ye thats fair
I wasnt really taking Ultra-Wide monitors into consideration ( I dont have one ) but ye i have to admit for that reason i can see your point.
I should have thought it through more
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 00:20:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 00:20:13