Scripts / [SOLVED] behaviors assigned but won't function.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all. I recently installed gameguru max and have been playing with some scripts. The 2 I'm working with now are a grappling hook and a portal gun, neither of which want to work.

I have 2 grapplers from 2 different people, 1 is a "throwable" and 1 is a "projectile" grappler. They both show in the behaviors but do not want to function. The throwable one picks up but it doesn't move off of the ground. I'm using a football as the throwable entity but it just drags on the ground. This morning I finally got that one to work but you have know idea where it's going since it won't rise off of the ground. It was better when I also picked up a pistol so that I had a reticle to guide it.

On the projectile grappler doesn't do anything, period. If the behavior is assigned to an item you can't pick the item up.

The portal gun hasn't acheived anything yet either. I guess my question with this one is what to assign it to. Is the behavior assigned to the weapon or to another entity and the gun's name assigned to the entity.

I have watched the tutorials with the items but they all show how they work, not how to get them to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont think they ever will work for Max as they are.
They were designed for Classic. Your best bet would be to contact the authors and ask their advice.
PM
Tater
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah OK, that would make sense. Just not sense that they're not backwards compatible. But thanks for the help.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2023 18:32
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
This works better in MAX.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Tater
Years of Service
User Offline
Most excellent! Thanks so much that works great.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Just not sense that they're not backwards compatible"

Many will work and many will not. Max is a different engine.
Thats not to say they cannot be adapted if your AmenMoses anyway
Max has a different way of doing certain things so it makes sense really.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2023 10:16 Edited at: 8th Apr 2023 10:21
Quote: "Max has a different way of doing certain things so it makes sense really."

It appears from what Preben says on GitHub that there are things that have changed in MAX meaning that legacy Lua functions no longer work properly (or not at all in this case) and they either didn't a) realise this was the case, b) couldn't be bothered to tell us or c) try to replace the broken functioniality with a working version.

Case in point the SetPosition and ResetPosition commands still don't work properly! Replacing the calls with PositionObject seems to fix the script in this case but there are a ton of legacy scripts that use those functions which will no longer work properly.

The terrain collision functions don't work any more and it looks unlikely to get fixed but at least the object collision still works.

btw, for anyone tempted to say it should be up to the scripters to go fix the scripts, I have over 7,000 scripts in my GG scriptbank folder and don't the time to test them all on MAX and most scripters will be completely unaware of which functions no longer work so won't know what to fix or in many case how!
PM
Tater
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2023 16:18 Edited at: 8th Apr 2023 16:20
Would it be possible to treat the terrain as a static mesh? Wouldn't the "hook" stick to the ground then or to have it stick to any object that stopped it?
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2023 17:38
Hmm, maybe Preben is going to fix it, he asked for the script to test it!

PM
Tater
Years of Service
User Offline
That would be great.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2023 14:16
Will be fixed in next build apparently.
PM
Tater
Years of Service
User Offline
That's great and appreciated but curiously, would that be a fix for the ground issue or a fix so that classic scripts can be used in max?

Would it be possible for me to enable a "release" so that you could let go before hitting the entity and to "steer" in the air so that one could be pulled towards the hook, steer around the edge of the entity and then momentum carry the operator further?

I'm only asking if it's possible before I go digging and finding out that you just can't do it.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2023 19:12
The terrain collision Lua commands are being fixed is all.

As for what you suggest being possible, anything is possible if you can script it!
PM
Tater
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2023 16:06 Edited at: 11th Apr 2023 16:30
hmmm, I have noticed that if you look straight down with the GH in hand you rise in the air.

I kind of fixed that issue. The "holddist" was 50. I tweaked it to 63.4 and now the player doesn't move when looking straight down. The only downside is that the entity goes into the ground just a little bit.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 05:14:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 05:14:13