Product Chat (Early Access) / [SOLVED] any plans to add rtx support?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello I was wondering if you'd add raytraced lightning when v1 comes out?

Cheers,
Mikhail from gmoose team

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 11th Nov 2022 06:51 Edited at: 11th Nov 2022 10:25
No because of the min system requirements being a GTX 960, adding RTX support will mean lots of users won't be able to use the software.
Additionally ray tracing isn't anywhere near the performance levels of standard rendering, it will take another few generations before you will be able to get similar performance to that of non ray tracing. Bar needing a RTX GPU, it also requires a beefy CPU and ram.
Win10 Pro 64bit----Intel i7 4770k @ 3.5GHZ----GTX 1660 6gig----16gig ram
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Quote: "No because of the min system requirements being a GTX 960, adding RTX support will mean lots of users won't be able to use the software."

Including RTX support does not mean it has to be enabled in your project. TGC could also include (or allow) for a tickbox to turn RTX on/off in user-settings for any game they play made with it, just like other features can be turned on/off. There are plenty of games that have RTX that can run without it. My video card does not natively support RTX, but I can play games that offer RTX, I just can't enable it due to my video card. So, there's a big difference between having RTX support and making MAX RTX-only.

For the record, I, personally, am not interested in RTX support. But that doesn't mean I don't think that MAX shouldn't have it somewhere down the line as an option.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2022 00:11 Edited at: 12th Nov 2022 00:12
Quote: "No because of the min system requirements being a GTX 960"

No biggie but the minimum spec on Steam is now a GTX 970
No one ever really leaves.
PM
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2022 17:40
Quote: "No biggie but the minimum spec on Steam is now a GTX 970"
Ha, won't be long and we will have to get a card made by NASA, just for Game Guru max. Why does a game making program need higher specs than all the newest high-level games on the market? don't make sense to me.
11th gen core i7, RTX 3050 6 GB ram, 8 GB Sys. ram, Win 11. Passmark score 6072.1

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Why does a game making program need higher specs than all the newest high-level games on the market?"

The GTX 970 is a 2014 Gfx card. It was high end before GameGuru Classic was released on steam in 2015.
Now the 960 and 970 are getting quite dated although they are great cards and have stood the test of time
No one ever really leaves.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 12th Nov 2022 21:06 Edited at: 12th Nov 2022 21:09
Quote: "Including RTX support does not mean it has to be enabled in your project. TGC could also include (or allow) for a tickbox to turn RTX on/off in user-settings for any game they play made with it, just like other features can be turned on/off. There are plenty of games that have RTX that can run without it. My video card does not natively support RTX, but I can play games that offer RTX, I just can't enable it due to my video card. So, there's a big difference between having RTX support and making MAX RTX-only.

For the record, I, personally, am not interested in RTX support. But that doesn't mean I don't think that MAX shouldn't have it somewhere down the line as an option."

It isn't that simple as a simple tick box. It would require running two separate code bases for one, there is a quite a big difference in the rendering pipelines. For a small team it is a no-no. As it is lee is trying to get max code introduced into wicked engine source, meaning every time we update to the new engine version, you don't have to spend months fixing bugs and adding new code.

The very reason why we haven't seen a major update in some time.

RTX just isn't practical for a small game dev software, as it is max even classic runs significantly worse when compared to other engines. I can only half imagine what the system requirements will be for max with added RTX support.
As I mentioned already entry/mid range cards like the 3060 and 3050 is just about able to run games like cyberpunk and then it still ends up stuttering in a few places.

Adding already poor performance on top of a relatively slow performing engine, simply isn't an option at the moment. RTX games need beefy hardware, it also requires the latest CPU technologies as well, like resizable bar or sam, direct storage ect. Just so you don't end up with a stuttering mess.

It isn't exactly an upgrade economy hasn't been for some time, people are still using older hardware and keeping it for longer overall, buying into DDR5 capable platform isn't remotely cheap, that is what you going to need in order to get consistent FPS in the 60's and above.

Gameguru max as is, is barely able to pull that off in a very busy scene .Just isn't practical from a development and from a hardware standpoint. Just because it is there doesn't mean it has to be used.Take it from someone that has been here from almost day one and having invested in every product since FPSC classic.
Win10 Pro 64bit----Intel i7 4770k @ 3.5GHZ----GTX 1660 6gig----16gig ram
Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2022 10:58
Quote: "Why does a game making program need higher specs than all the newest high-level games on the market?"

That is normal in programming. Because you must run the Game AND the Building tools paralell. At the same time. This needs more power.
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2022 14:48
@Sanguis, thank you for the info. I understand now. I didn't know that.
11th gen core i7, RTX 3050 6 GB ram, 8 GB Sys. ram, Win 11. Passmark score 6072.1

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:58:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:58:21