Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2022 22:48
Changing to Steam download will we have to download the whole 27 GB of GGM again.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
It will be a steam install .. Usually much faster in my experience.
Dont delete your GameGuruApps though that can stay.
No one ever really leaves.
PM
ozziedave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2022 14:49 Edited at: 29th Aug 2022 14:51
synchromesh/TGC you have let me down in a big way changing to STEAM. I live in a Gated village and the Internet is provided by the company that runs it.

Our Internet is Very, Very, Very slow and drops out very often, it would take three or more weeks to download 27GB.

I do not know if loss of feed would mean a download would have to start all over again when the link was lost.

I have spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars over 16 years purchasing software from TGC, check my account. I have spent many Saturdays here in Australia downloading the smaller upgrades, possible 18 months.

We should have been put on STEAM at the beginning, if the move was anticipated.

UNHAPPY
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "We should have been put on STEAM at the beginning, if the move was anticipated."

The move was not anticipated at the time, but became a reality as time went on and TGC found it too costly in time to have to maintain and update two different versions.

Having said that, from the very beginning they did offer for people to be able to purchase the STEAM version instead. However, TGC did not place MAX on Steam until it was at a point where they felt it more accessible to the public (i.e. earlier versions were early alphas and even more buggy). Remember, what you've purchased was an EARLY ACCESS version of MAX. It's not even to version 1 yet. As such, it should have been anticipated that there would be many downloads of the software along the way as many updates would come (and fairly frequently, too). If you had waited until MAX was at V1 release, then you would only have the option to have gotten the STEAM version. But you opted for the Early Access version and, as such, changes are to be expected as the software is being developed. One such change was going to a STEAM-only version.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2022 17:19
Quote: "I do not know if loss of feed would mean a download would have to start all over again when the link was lost."

That's actually one of the benefits of Steam; the download remembers how far you got before the connection dropped and resumes from that point, so no need to start again from scratch.

Nice to see users checking in from all corners of the world

AE
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "synchromesh/TGC you have let me down in a big way changing to STEAM. I live in a Gated village and the Internet is provided by the company that runs it."

Ye it was never deliberately anticipated.
I myself purchased the Non Steam version and have since changed to Steam as its was just easier with all my other products in my Library.
To be honest though I found there is no competition. Steam is faster, Slicker, Seamless updates and overall more reliable.
Being in your position personally Steam would have been your better option from the beginning. I hope it works out better for you.
No one ever really leaves.
PM
ozziedave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2022 22:45
I guess unfortunately I will have to STEAM AHEAD
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2022 23:00 Edited at: 30th Aug 2022 23:02
I used to feel the same way about Steam (quite a number of years ago) but over time I started to adapt to it and I actually prefer it as my way of getting game updates. Updates are done much more smoothly in the background. I sometimes don't even notice them now.

Quote: "synchromesh/TGC you have let me down in a big way changing to STEAM. "

The forum mods dont get to decide if a TGC product goes steam exclusive or not.

Quote: "We should have been put on STEAM at the beginning, if the move was anticipated."

I think this was because they wanted more internal testing early on. I could be wrong. Product is still in EA.
Store Assets - Store Link
Free Assets - Resource Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:02:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:02:17