3rd Party Models/Media Chat / [FREE] Deployable Glowsticks - Light it up! (Script by AmenMoses)

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2022 18:38 Edited at: 18th Jul 2022 18:38
A pack of glowsticks in 8 colors that can be collected and dropped anywhere; even underwater!

Script by:
AmenMoses

Models & Sound FX:
Kravenwolf

AmenMoses was taking script requests on Discord over the weekend, and I couldn't resist.

Got the go ahead from him to post his new script here on the forums, along with some glowsticks and sound FX I made to go along with it. The glowsticks have an occasional issue with collision on terrain every now and then, but, I'm sure that's an issue already on Lee's to do list!

What's this script do?
This script allows you to collect glowsticks (or any other item you assign it to), and then drop them anywhere, at any time by pressing the "G" key. A counter in the bottom right of the screen keeps track of how many glowsticks you have left to drop.

Each glowstick REQUIRES a light marker be placed near it that will follow it where ever you drop one. The glowsticks the player drop DO use physics, so they'll roll down hills and flop around a bit when you drop them.

What can they be used for?
The player can drop glowsticks to mark areas they've already explored in very large, open maps or maze-like environments so they don't get lost or search the same area more than once. You can also use them as deployable light sources to illuminate pitch black areas.

They look especially cool when deployed underwater at night; will certainly come in handy for future diving games!

Setup instructions:
1. After extracting all of the files in the zip to their proper MAX folders, add a glowstick to your map and assign "Glowstick" behavior to it under the "Behavior" tab to the right.

2. In the Sound0 field of the Behavior properties, assign the "Glowstick_Collect.wav" sound.

3. In the Sound1 field, assign the "Glowstick_Deploy.wav" sound.

4. Add a light marker with a color similar to your glowstick choice directly beside or above the glowstick. For better performance, untick the "Cast Shadow" option for the light.

5. That's it! To add more than one glowstick the player can collect, you can hold shift and left-click the light and the glowstick you just finished setting up, and copy and paste as many as you'd like to your map.
Once a wolf, always a wolf.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2022 02:12
Deployable Glowsticks for GameGuru MAX: AmenMoses & Kravenwolf: Total Genius!
The game is a serious thing (El juego es una cosa seria)
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2022 02:28
Hello genious!!!
Holaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Very good idea! I've found a few things I should ask you...
1) Why do you need a light for each? Doesn't it complicate performance?
2) it only falls if it has a collision? If it has no collision it just floats...
3) I can't get it to be thrown, it just falls...
They are not critics, the idea is great! I'm just sharing my experience with you in case it helps!
Kraven W
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2022 11:48 Edited at: 20th Jul 2022 11:51
Hello!

1) I believe it was the only way it could be done currently. I just placed over 100 glowsticks in a map and dropped all of them on the ground and my frame rate wasn't affected on a 3GB GTX 1060 (which is like one step above the minimum card spec for MAX). Should be fine.

2) Suppose that makes sense because they use physics. I would just leave collision on. They're not animated, so they need physics to drop to the ground. Otherwise, it sounds like they just stay in place where they were spawned.

3) Interesting idea! You should stop by the Discord and ask @AmenMoses what he thinks about that one.

Take care
Once a wolf, always a wolf.
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2022 00:37
Hello Kraven! A pleasure!!! Very clear in your concepts and feedback is what helps us learn. Thank you very much! Moses? Moses is a genius... I'm going to contact him now! Thanks for the performance information... It always worries me because I'm from Argentina and I generally create local products... unfortunately, due to the economy, we are not at the top in terms of PC quality. But we fought it, now I will start a Videogame Development course at the municipal level and you know very well what we are going to use... I send you a big hug
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2022 21:25
Can make some. Good light sabres
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 07:42:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 07:42:26