Product Chat (Early Access) / Standalone MP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any news on the standalone multiplayer implementation? I really think that it will be the number one differentiating factor for why people would choose this engine over any other but I feel like the timeframe is getting shorter and shorter to make it stand out.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is there any news on the standalone multiplayer implementation? I really think that it will be the number one differentiating factor for why people would choose this engine over any other but I feel like the timeframe is getting shorter and shorter to make it stand out."

No News yet but to be honest i think " Save VR Standalone " is what will make Max stand out.
There is nothing else easier
No one ever really leaves.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2022 22:22
Yeah mp is probably a year away at least possible 2 years at a guess
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Kraven W
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2022 11:53
Unless they plan to do more with the multiplayer this time around, then I really don't think it's going to be a standout feature for someone to buy MAX for.

Not sure what their plans are for it, but as far as the multiplayer that was done for Classic, it was very barebones, and I believe deathmatch and TDM were the only modes available. No voice communication, no round based matches (if I remember correctly), no weapon selection or loadout assessment at the start (you just placed weapons around the map) and I believe the player limit was 4 per side(?). I don't even think doors could be opened, but I can't remember for sure (though I know for certain this wasn't possible with FPSC's multiplayer until hockeykid got it to work in Project Blue or Fenix Mod).

It reminded me more of 90's Quake or DOOM multiplayer than a more modern multiplayer experience.

It was a shame, because I agree. If more time was invested into multiplayer this time around, it could be a very appealing selling point for the engine, and I would probably focus more on making a FTP multiplayer game over a single player one if that were ever the case, because even though Classic's multiplayer was limited, it was still a blast playing with others in a map you built yourself. Done right this time around, it would be pretty incredible.

But yes, standalone would be a must, for sure!
Once a wolf, always a wolf.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2022 12:42 Edited at: 14th Jul 2022 12:45
Quote: "It was a shame, because I agree. If more time was invested into multiplayer this time around, it could be a very appealing selling point for the engine, and I would probably focus more on making a FTP multiplayer game over a single player one if that were ever the case, because even though Classic's multiplayer was limited, it was still a blast playing with others in a map you built yourself. Done right this time around, it would be pretty incredible."

It would not take much for TGC to add a basic Multiplayer via Photon in fact they know exactly how to do it.
However .... The fact they have not and want to get the single player experience and VR spot on first tells me if they are going to do it then the plan is to do it right.

To be honest im getting fed up with MP. Everything is MP orientated these days.
What happened to the good old Single player experience
I dont see how MP can make Max stand out if everyone else is doing it anyway.
Just my thoughts of course and i am NOT against it .. I just think there are more attractive and needed features to be sorted first
No one ever really leaves.
PM
Mr.WitherStorm
Years of Service
User Offline
well we know at the current moment they arent planning on fixing the graphics, and the gameplay isn't really there so Im not sure what else would make it stand out
PM
Shadow_Master
Years of Service
User Offline
@ synchromesh — Lee was looking into the free multiplayer that epic has released with their online service, so it might be better but who knows
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-16 20:32:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-16 20:32:31