3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Third party melee characters halfbaked tutorial

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: witcher 3
Posted: 3rd Jun 2022 00:39 Edited at: 18th Jun 2022 20:44
So I found out something pretty interesting to at least get hand to hand custom characters working. I'm not an expert but I managed to get one working mostly with minor kinks and glitches. Probably because I only halfway know what I'm doing

so first thing I did is find this nice little alien character on sketch fab for free. I then took them over into Miximo and rigged him up. After that I picked about five different animations for walking, running, idle, attack, crouch and the death animation. So from there you have all the animations but they're all in separate files so you have to put them together. I found this nice little video on YouTube telling you how to combine them all very easy with blender. I'm horrible with blender and got this done on the first try so it's pretty simple. There may be better ways to do it but this is how I got it done. Here's the video:

so after you have all the animations put together an exported the model you take it over into game guru Max and use the importer to import it. Get your scaling right and all that stuff and head over to the animation tab. All your animations should be listed like in this picture.

I haven't scaled the guy in the screenshot so he looks like a giant set your animation speed to 100 or whatever you want and click on each of the animations to check what they are and then rename them to whatever they do to make it easier later. Turn off animation preview also. After that just import them in.

So now what you need to do is go into your entity bank and find the FPE file for your character. Find the line that says ischaracter=0 and change the 0 to 1 . After that's done save the file and close it. Then you open game guru Max and add your character to the scene. Go to behavior and add the zombie attacking script. I don't think this will work for characters with guns because you need a fire spot but who knows, I haven't tested it. But for this where doing a character that would have similar characteristics to the zombie. If you are using a human character that punched people you can probably do the same thing with the character attacking script.

Anyway, now that they have a behavior it's time to alter it. Make sure in the settings and developer mode you've turned on the extra settings. I believe that's required to work. Now going to test game and once you're there you need to hit tab twice and then F11. On the right side panel should be behavior settings. You need to go into that and then modify behavior. You're going to see a side screen that looks like this.

At the very top it has a drop-down menu showing the script you're currently using. Make sure it set to zombie attacking. After that go to the first tab which says initial state. There's a bunch of boxes there with different commands. You don't have to know what these do you just have to pay attention to which state it is an find the box which says loop animation.

This state appears to be the idle state(Edit: I might be wrong on this one but there is an idle state below.If I'm wrong just change it to the proper animation but either way the steps are the same) so we find the box that says loop animation and click the little drop-down tab underneath the drop-down tab that says loop animation. By default it should be set to a zombie animation. When you click the drop-down though it should show your character's animation.

Pick the animation that says idle and click it. Check for any other boxes that say loop animation and change them to your characters correct animation. Then you move down to the next box and do the same for there. My character didn't have a feeding animation so I just changed it to crouch. It's kind of rinky-dink, but hey

go through all the different states and switch the animations according to which stated is. You might get some wrong but tinker with it and after you're done go down to the bottom and click update behavior. If you got everything right your hand to hand character should act the same way zombie would and play the correct animations. I'm not an expert but I got this character working. This should at least get you started. If anyone else has better insight than I do please let me know. Anyway, enjoy tinkering!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2022 01:07
I forgot to mention, you can make a behavior entirely from scratch with the behavior editor but this is more for if you have no idea what you're doing. You may also want to backup your zombie attack script. I tested the zombie after I altered it and it didn't seem to make a difference but you never know. Also you can also delete states that your character doesn't use if you want
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
mguy1122, thank you very much for this quite instructive tutorial.
I am glad to learn that there is a behaviour's editor available in GameGuru MAX.

I think that you could post a comment about your experiments in this thread on Github : https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/3187

PM
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2022 15:00 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2022 15:06
Quote: "mguy1122, thank you very much for this quite instructive tutorial.
I am glad to learn that there is a behaviour's editor available in GameGuru MAX.

I think that you could post a comment about your experiments in this thread on Github : https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/3187
"

No problem, I just like tinkering with things and found out about the behavior editor myself the other day. If you never did any digging you would never know it was even there. I forgot to also mention if you wanted to try to get around blender or combining the animations they also have an online tool but I keep getting errors with it. I got it to work once on one character but it didn't like the other ones. Here's the link anyway
https://nilooy.github.io/character-animation-combiner/

I also added a comment on get hub
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
mguy1122, you made a nice discovery with that "Character Animation Combiner".

PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2022 00:33
i have had success recently with my own characters using the ai system i had just to name correctly the anims and make sure to fill in the gaps but i have my characters at last wandering about
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2022 16:10
Quote: "i have had success recently with my own characters using the ai system i had just to name correctly the anims and make sure to fill in the gaps but i have my characters at last wandering about"

Glad you're getting stuff to work! I've got all the animations playing correctly except for the fact I can't seem to figure out how to make the character play the death animation. After you shoot them a couple times they just stand there like statues. I'm assuming it's because the zombie uses ragdoll for death but maybe I'm missing something. I've been busy the last couple days so I haven't been messing with it but I'm sure there's a way
PM
Supe
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2022 18:34
thank you very much for your guide

Desktop: corei5, ram32, graphic card6GB
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KtN6HMp1VEInALBZ89hmUBwfzqbeL9Wz/view?usp=sharing
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2022 20:44
Quote: "thank you very much for your guide"

No problem! Just glad to help others when I stumble across something useful
PM
Supe
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2022 09:43
i have a little question in my head, about running animation.how we can create walking and running on the spot animations?
Desktop: corei5, ram32, graphic card6GB
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KtN6HMp1VEInALBZ89hmUBwfzqbeL9Wz/view?usp=sharing
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2022 14:59
Quote: "i have a little question in my head, about running animation.how we can create walking and running on the spot animations?"

Not sure I know exactly what you mean by running on the spot animations but if you're talking about making them run in place instead of the animation running forward you need to check the box that says "in place" on the right panel in Miximo.
PM
soundstudios
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't get this to work. I have tried other characters and I have still failed. The character just floats in the air and if I get closer it does weird movements. I have a picture to show you that if floats in the air. Can anyone tell what I'm doing wrong.

THK
Tam51
PM
mguy1122
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2022 17:01
It would be hard to tell what's going on from just a picture. I'm assuming you a applied the animations to the model and combine them. When you imported your character into Max were all the animations playing correctly during the import preview? If they ar'nt playing right at that point the problem would be with your model. Sometimes when I export a model it gets corrupted for one reason or another.If everything is looking good when you're importing into Max then I would assume you might be placing the animations in the wrong spot with the character editor. If you have all this right and followed all the instructions above then I would be kind of stumped without looking at it.
PM
soundstudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks I'll give another try later, maybe there's something I'm missing

Thanks
Tam51
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:04:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:04:27