Product Chat (Early Access) / Making DLC’s?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2022 00:13
If someone was to release a game using GGM in the future.
Is there a way to make DLC packs that people can download which installs it’s self in order to update the game?
Processor i9-9900k CPU@ 3.60GHZ
Ram 32GB
Windows 10 64bit
GeForce RTX 2060
PM
Harkin Hails M.
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With Rocks. Ooga Booga.
Posted: 30th Apr 2022 06:21 Edited at: 30th Apr 2022 06:22
Trust me, when you release a GG game, first you'll have to convince people to pay for it, then enjoy it, THEN worry about DLC.

The GG Classic and games created under it, destroyed any chance of positive reputation GG name had, a long time ago. This is why, Max and any game under it will have to surpass anything Classic can do (visually and gameplay-wise) for people to head for DLC's.

You can always bundle OST on Steam, I guess.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2022 15:16
I think the best way to get around any stigma to the ggmax engine. Is to completely remove anything ggmax has in and so this will be to change all the textures trees grass plants huds text and speech models characters sounds weapons etc etc.
If you spend enough time changing it all you will have a very good chance of not having links to the droll that will or already is emerging tat and none thought out games

I actually think its good tocmake the workd your own it makes a unique experience and will immerse the players rather than oh what have they achieved with max. That will be the big part
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2022 16:39
Reactor - pay no attention to the retoric - make a good game and people will buy it.

As far as updating your game, they would get the updates whenever you update it?

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
Rector
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2022 20:52 Edited at: 30th Apr 2022 20:53
I’m not talking about selling it. Its for a closed group and to keep it interesting I thought providing DLCs would keep it fresh.

So, is there a specific way to package DLCs and if so what software is used?
Processor i9-9900k CPU@ 3.60GHZ
Ram 32GB
Windows 10 64bit
GeForce RTX 2060
PM
Supe
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2022 02:05 Edited at: 1st May 2022 02:05
Quote: "So, is there a specific way to package DLCs and if so what software is used?"

NOT YET, post your question in git hub.
Desktop: corei5, ram32, graphic card6GB
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KtN6HMp1VEInALBZ89hmUBwfzqbeL9Wz/view?usp=sharing
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I know what you're talking about Rector. I hear ya! Whether there's any method to expand your GG produced primary game, and give it new and separate downloadable game- play features- I have this important question as well.
I see no easy way to accomplish that.

I think Harkin Hails M. made some good points. Soundtracks are a popular "dlc" choice, and you don't have to connect them to your current game project. How that's accomplished in Steam-- no idea. Make it better than classic? Well, the stock gameplay from Classic to MAX- for me is maybe about 2-3% "better". In some cases (ZOMBIES) worse. You have to bring a huge amount of patience, careless humor and diabolical Willy Wonka optimism to any GG game and the same looks the case for GGMAX FPS games as well. The gameplay is just not any kind of attractiveness to boast about. Maybe someone will surprise me in a couple years if that creator makes something commendable- and MAX is released for games by then?

I see no discussion on Standalone testing and a roadmap... so we can only assume it might perpetually be in Alpha/ EA?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I would assume every online Gaming platform has their own deployment method for Updates.
Whether its Steam, Epic, Origin etc so i would not be very optimistic about finding an App that could manage that.
No one ever really leaves.
PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, it depends on what exact kind of DLC is intended. From what has been requested by the OP, he seems to be envisioning making a game that - talking on a grand scale - is comprised of "The fellowship of the Ring" which he gives to his mates and while they are frolicking in there, he works on the levels of "The twin towers", hoping to finish that for a release that attaches to the original game when his mates start getting bored with the original.

Maybe, that is not so hard as it may seem if the first release has an explicit specal dummylevel attached which is totally empty and never accessible to the users. When the engine core detects the new level or group of new levels, it overloads the empty level with the first real level, and off they go.

Yes, it'll be more demanding under the engine's hood than it may look from the outside, but is one path that could be evaluated by TGC.

Thus, it may be a good idea to bring the matter up by rector right now - but not expecting a solution soon, rather giving TGC time to find the best way to implement it.

One problem will certainly arise from technical progress with the engine over time - and it's progressing relatively fast a.t.m.-, possibly introducing incompatibilities across the level groups. I wouldn't really expect to be able to go back and forth between the original game and the DLC-extended game, not in early stages of such a feature.

One general problem which needs to likewise be solved for multilevel-one-off-games anyway is to carry over "experience points" "items" etc. to another level. (That's one of the things I hated about "Gothic", having to start from scratch with every follow-up release.)

Another problem will probaby arise from the assets employed, i.e, there should not be "doublette" files for the same asset used in the original and the dlc levels, so, integrity must somehow - but certainly not manually - be maintained.

Since one of my projects also would profit from such a load-a-dlc-feature, I'm all for it ( so we are three, at least ), but I am not expecting it any time soon (i.e., not within 12 months ). BUT the "conditio sine qua non" is that we actually can have working games with REALLY many levels without MAX bailing out loading the 4th or 5th level.

Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
Core i7 4710 QM GTX 980 MQ 16GB RAM Win7
PM
thatandplaygames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2022 16:52
I did buy this because the game I'm working on needs a feature that it offers... but I think you can do something with updates to your game. It was kinda pricey.

https://gamelaunchercreator.com/v1-documentation/gameguru-game-launcher/
Harkin Hails M.
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With Rocks. Ooga Booga.
Posted: 2nd May 2022 06:33 Edited at: 2nd May 2022 06:36
Quote: "I did buy this because the game I'm working on needs a feature that it offers... but I think you can do something with updates to your game. It was kinda pricey.

https://gamelaunchercreator.com/v1-documentation/gameguru-game-launcher/"

I don't really see anything that can work with DLC's. Not to mention, how exactly will this work with Steam, where majority of games are?

I don't think Steam allows you to buy and sell DLC's externally from store, unless you have a CD Key system specifically set up for your game where players buy DLC's/items from your own website (like MMO's). That is WAY too much work (and time/money spent) for a GG game. I don't see any gamer out there dying to buy DLC's unless you make a game that surpasses everything ever done with any TGC engine, with people dying to get their hands on the next DLC.

Launchers are also pretty much obsolete way of doing things, most games just launch directly and let you manage things in-game. Usually launchers were just there to show off documentation or links to sites, with some allowing you to customize video options (redundant cause of in-game options).
PM
blackbear
Years of Service
User Offline
Have a look at Indigorose they have patching software.

https://www.indigorose.com/
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 22:00:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 22:00:50