Product Chat (Early Access) / [SOLVED] AppGameKit for Particles, which version?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With Rocks. Ooga Booga.
Posted: 28th Apr 2022 21:08 Edited at: 28th Apr 2022 21:09
Manual says we can create custom particles with AppGameKit, but on the store page it says:

Important: If you are purchasing for use with AppGameKit Classic then you must choose a DOWNLOAD version. The Steam version requires you to own a copy of AppGameKit Studio.

So, is there no standalone version? Do we need to buy "AppGameKit Studio" on Steam to run this particle editor? Or "AppGameKit Classic" to run standalone?

Or is just buying Steam version enough to run it by itself?

While we're at it, I hope this actually works with Max, has anyone tried it so far? I wonder if this is still the recommended way to make particles, and won't change in the future.

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2022 22:01
I'm using the store page version and it works fine, does not need appgamekit installed.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Quote: "So, is there no standalone version? "

You purchase the Download version which is standalone.
Yes it works with Max in fact its the only one that does.
No one ever really leaves.
PM
Harkin Hails M.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2022 06:13
Alright, can confirm. Download version is the standalone and runs fine without AppGameKit.

I think store page should make the "Does NOT need AppGameKit" part more clear though.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2022 10:45 Edited at: 29th Apr 2022 10:53
So i bought it for 12pound on tgc website at 60 percent off
Hoping when i finally get home and download it will work as the steam version does
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " think store page should make the "Does NOT need AppGameKit" part more clear though."

Well it kind of does need AppGameKit ... Its a DLC and wont work for any other products.
Its just telling you not to purchase the Steam version which is for Studio only.
Max will probably have its own section for it when the time comes.

PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well it kind of does need AppGameKit ... Its a DLC and wont work for any other products."

Actually, it doesn't need AppGameKit at all. While it's sold as a DLC, it works completely on it's own. In fact, it has its own EXE file (Editor.exe) in its own folder (Particle Editor). You can actually move this folder wherever you like, even totally uninstall AppGameKit, and Particle Editor will run perfectly fine without it.

So, no, Particle Editor does not need AppGameKit at all.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2022 18:51
Thats good because i spent 12 pounds on it thats before tax so came to £14.50

Wipes sweat of brow.
How good is the maker as to be honest the particles with max minus smoke are iffy
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Personally? I find the UI to be very old school. I'd love this to have a more modern UI. But it's functional. It seems pretty powerful and you can create some really nice effects. Just be warned - Particle Editor was not made for MAX specifically. As a result, it's really easy to make particles that are too much for MAX to handle. You have to keep that in mind when working on your particles. Read the PDF file, play around, and you'll be able to make some really nice effects with it. It's not an expensive tool, so I definitely think it's worth it.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2022 19:29 Edited at: 29th Apr 2022 19:35
Quote: "So, no, Particle Editor does not need AppGameKit at all."

Your missing the point. Without it its useless ..
Its the version for AppGameKit Classic standalone or not. The message just tells you which to buy for either product.
It does not say this is the universal standalone edition for all engines because its not.
So the OP saying it should say "Does NOT need AppGameKit" would be inaccurate.
Its the Standalone Version for Appgamekit Classic.
PM
Harkin Hails M.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2022 21:58 Edited at: 29th Apr 2022 21:58
Quote: "So the OP saying it should say "Does NOT need AppGameKit" would be inaccurate."

BTW, I meant it for GGMax, since it was recommended for Max.

Standalone works fine without AppGameKit, just launch the exe, for those wondering.
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
I have it and use it for MAX.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2022 00:01 Edited at: 30th Apr 2022 00:22
Quote: "BTW, I meant it for GGMax, since it was recommended for Max.
Standalone works fine without AppGameKit, just launch the exe, for those wondering."

Yep and that is why the message is there
If you bought the Steam key it would be for AGK Studio only.
No one is saying it is Not a standalone.
Any particles created will only work in AGK so you cannot put "Does NOT need AppGameKit"
Because without AGK the editor is useless .. That's all i was saying
( except for Max now of course )

Right now TGC are not officially selling the particle editor as a DLC for Max or advertising it that way.
But they have stated that is what they are and will be using for Max.
They already have plans for it as a DLC for Max a little later down the line according to Lees Q&A's
But hey ... I bought it myself for Max also.
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2022 00:28 Edited at: 30th Apr 2022 00:31
Quote: "If you bought the Steam key it would be for AGK Studio only.
No one is saying it is Not a standalone.
Any particles created will only work in AGK so you cannot put "Does NOT need AppGameKit"
Because without AGK its useless .. That's all i was saying"

That is not correct. I have DLC for AppGameKit Studio. I create particles with it and use them in MAX. They work in MAX. You do this by exporting them. It has an export feature for this purpose (to use it outside of AGK). It exports out four files:

- name.arx (the code that runs the particle)
- name_g.png (a gradient)
- name_r.png (forget what this is ... a second type of gradient of some kind)
- name_sx.png (the images used for the particles)

You take these four and dump them into your MAX particlesbank folder and then you can use them in MAX.

So, yes, the DLC version from Steam DOES create particles that can be used in MAX and does NOT just create particles that can only be used in AGK or AGK Studio. I know this because I have the version that I purchased as a DLC for AGK Studio and use it in MAX.

EDIT - As I've said elsewhere - the version that is sold on Steam as a DLC is the exact same version as the one sold on the TGC website as a "stand alone". It simply installs in the AGK folder in its own folder. It does not connect to AGK or AGK Studio in any way. It is it's own EXE. You can safely move that folder wherever you like, run it, create particles, etc. In fact, I've uninstalled AGK Studio and still run Particle Editor, creating particles for MAX.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2022 00:44 Edited at: 30th Apr 2022 00:50
@Monkey Frog
You really do not need to interfere.
This is the only comment i originally responded to to was the OP's
" I think store page should make the "Does NOT need AppGameKit" part more clear though. "
The steam version is for AGK Studio hence why the message is there.
Whether you can rip them out and use them in Max is irrelavent .. The particle editor was created for AGK ONLY either Classic or Studio.
Standalone or not you cannot advertise it as .. "Does NOT need AppGameKit"

Yes you can use it for Max now .. Really not sure why nobody is understanding what i am saying
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2022 00:53 Edited at: 30th Apr 2022 00:54
Sheesh. I am really miscommunicating. Sorry. But you don't "rip them out". The program has an EXPORTER built in for this purpose. The documentation covers it. It's not "ripping" anything out. It's the exact same program. Nothing different. It's made to make particles that can be exported and used, even outside of AGK. Period. You do have to have AGK to purchase the no stand alone version. But both are the same and both produce particles that work with MAX.
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Hu?? NOT- [SOLVED] this thread hasn't quite clarified it for me.
I would like to get the final word myself as well.
I have both AGK Classic and AGK Studio. ((STEAM @ both versions))
I also have the particles tool for them. ((STEAM))

Final word please to whomever can supply that-
Would I still be required to purchase @ TGC WEBSITE version to activate in MAX?
Which part both AGK Studio + Particles or .... ???
Is there a workaround -- not ideal for workaround.
Thanks.
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
@GlubbyBlips - If you have the Particle Editor, you're good to go. Just create a particle (or use one of the one supplied) and export it. Grab the exported files from where it saves it and drop those files in your user>particlesbank folder, then you can bring them into MAX to use. You'll have to ADD them after dropping the particle marker in your level.
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
I see. Thanks for the answer.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sorry. But you don't "rip them out"

Just a figure of speech ... Never mind
It seems it all started with my response to the OP
" Well it kind of does need AppGameKit ... Its a DLC and wont work for any other products. "
as in 3rd party engines etc ..
I dunno ?
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
@synchromesh - I may have misunderstood what you were trying to convey. If so, I apologize. I just wanted to point out that whichever version someone has, whether they own AGK, AGK Studio and have Editor Particle OR if the purchased the Particle Editor as a stand alone from the TGC website, each will create particles that are compatible with GameGuru MAX.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2022 11:20 Edited at: 30th Apr 2022 11:24
Quote: "@synchromesh - I may have misunderstood what you were trying to convey. If so, I apologize. I just wanted to point out that whichever version someone has, whether they own AGK, AGK Studio and have Editor Particle OR if the purchased the Particle Editor as a stand alone from the TGC website, each will create particles that are compatible with GameGuru MAX."

Nothing to apologise for mate.. You were not wrong and neither was anyone else for that matter.
It just wandered off from what i was trying to explain to Harkin Hails M in his second post why it does not state what he suggested.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 21:41:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 21:41:50