Product Chat (Early Access) / Classic Maps Import to Max

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2022 14:52
Hey Guys

I've been playing around with Max since it went into early access and would like to say that I can't wait for what the future brings. The demo games certainly are a step up from the old classic demos. Bravo to Lee and the team!

I have a question about importing classic maps into Max because I know it's been mentioned a few times. To what extent will we be able to import old maps and is this possible currently with the current build? I had a mess around with importing a classic map but all that would transfer over were the static objects on a blank map and when you try to actually run the level it's crashes Max almost immediately. Is this currently possible? At least for static objects and terrain?

Many thanks
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2022 22:57
Importing maps from GG is not 100% doable; since GGMax is in essence a different world.
GGMax lately is generating an LST file i.e. mymap.frm and mymap.lst.
The lst file list all the stuff you have in your map; since the GG map does not have that, so, GGMax has nothing to list your map stuff and crash, just guessing here. Although GGMax should deal with, rather than crash.

Does all your stuff are located on entitybank>your folder? I ask because if any of that meshes is not in the folder, GGMax most likely will crash.
Remove all the GG DBO files, GGMax will generate new ones, when converting meshes to the GGMax system.

And if those do not work, so, you can zip the frm file, and there you can get the meshes listed, that your map has, so, you can check if you have all those stuff already, in your entitybank>your folder.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
LeighAndrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2022 09:01
Hey 3com,

Yes, I've basically done a complete copy and paste of all classic files into Max and for the most part most assets will work no problem (including a few animated ones like doors). Some have a few positioning issues or just don't show up in engine at all like decals, but I can live with that... even a few of the old skyboxes etc even work!

I've tried to load various levels into the editor and it seems mostly 'outdoor' levels have problems loading into editor, which causes a runtime error and then a crash. 'Indoor' type levels such as The Asylum seems to load fine into the editor except with one or two entity issues. Some I'm wondering if it's something to do with reading the terrain data or something?
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-20 20:02:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-20 20:02:38