3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Upgrading Classic Assets for Max

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any incentive for artists to upgrade their old assets in the store to bring them up to standard and convert them for GG Max?

The fact that I have spent a lot of money on assets over the past several years (faithfully waiting for what is now called GameGuru Classic to reach its potential) only to see the product abandoned in favour of a shiny new version for which most of my purchased assets are now sub-standard somewhat irks me.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2021 12:49
I feel your pain lord J

However the items you bought were for classic not max, this means that they held their end of the bargain and as classic has been 10 years going now i think there is no expectation of the artists to convert.
However if the artist wants to ypdate for max to get more sales they may give you the free update. However with time equals money they may charge you for the privilege

Game making is always on the move.

Maybe have a go at transferring them yourself using the add model it will take your x model and convert.
However the animations from x to dbo are a little iffy. But you should not have much trouble converting i believe
You may neednto faff for a week or two to get the winning formula but its doable if you have the time
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi...

At least the PBR stuff should work fine in MAX without making big changes. For older things, it's usually not worth updating them for MAX. In many cases, the objects were created very simply and the uv maps were created to save space. The workload would then be very high. Then there is the way to renew the textures (PBR). With a suitable program, this can be done almost automatically. One of them is called >> Materialize <<. It makes a good impression. What I've seen with it is just missing a roughness (in GG = gloss). This tool doesn't cost anything. It's definitely worth a try ...
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2021 20:00
I have yet to test my assets to see what they look like in max. Not sure how it handles the "entity_basic.fx" legacy shader. I'll let you know how well they translate and what you need to do, if anything, to upgrade them.

Quote: "most of my purchased assets are now sub-standard somewhat irks me."

I think that this will largely depend on the standard of your level design and art direction. I can see a certain appeal for users who really know what they are doing and are capable of making beautiful and evocative maps, however those people ususally modify and adjust their media manually so it would be kind of a wasted effort. For other users its, in my opinion at least, more of a lipstick-pig situation.

I think everyone who sells media needs to decide for themselves... I'm not going to do it personally, but then again I still see assets as "raw materials" to be tinkered with rather than complete products but ever since the quality bar of Unity and UE4 assets has raised expectations to the stratosphere and rendered end user engagement and creativity to be so low that its next to dinosaur bones I'm probably in the minority with this view. All packs and models I ever sold where also always exactly as advertised thus I feel that people know exactly what they are getting and I don't care about the "customer experience" beyond that
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I know this is a very hackneyed complaint now and I just need to 'suck it up', but I did spend a lot of money on those assets back in the days when GameGuru was billed to become "the ultimate game maker". I thought the assets were an investment, ready for when both the app and I were ready. GameGuru Max wasn't even a cheeky gleam in Lee's eye back then, I presume. We couldn't have foreseen Classic being dropped and this new version taking over. Maybe a radical overhaul, but I didn't expect a completely new app.

I might just experiment with importing a few assets and see which ones look good enough.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2021 05:45
Hmm. They are an investment for sure. Large chunks of my current maps still use media from 2005 / 06. All you need to do is update them slightly and you'd be surprised how much stuff holds up. Retexturing something or merely adding PBR shader maps if need be is a relatively fast and enjoyable process and it beats making new stuff or buying newer versions of something.
Sure, sometimes rather old stuff is too low poly and needs to be removed but its surprisingly rare.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool. I am looking for an app to create PBR texture layers. I don't really know anything about this kind of thing.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2021 17:41 Edited at: 30th Dec 2021 17:42
Quote: " I thought the assets were an investment, ready for when both the app and I were ready."

I would imagine we all did but Back then though GG was DX9 and PBR wasnt even a consideration
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2022 13:01
Lord Julian
Get paint. Net
There is an add on for normal map conversion
There is a tutorial or 8 on the max site and its pretty simple you get your model dds (the picture) then on paint. Net load it in and just overlay the pictures it will all come clear when you do it.

I was re texturing in 2008 and i only had the tgc creator in 2008 and bought my pc in 2008
So its really easy and just look at the stuctures and follow the steps on the guidance
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 05:41:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 05:41:06