Product Chat (Early Access) / MAX downloads?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Seeing as I was only able to download the MAX core files (11GB), and this took me possibly over 5 hrs...
I want to go back and download some of the asset collections without starting over.
Seeing as the core files check-mark is not removable... also
As the warning notice that everything in MAX folder will be erased with the click of the continue button...
Is there a way to KEEP the core file download and just download entity folder(s) without starting from scratch?
Appreciate your time.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2021 00:08
Tick the ones you want and Max will download them , it will not update the core file unless there has been another release

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
AORUS B550 Master Motherboard
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
128 GB DDR4 RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2021 00:10 Edited at: 24th Dec 2021 00:26
Unfortunately not but it only cleans the core.
It will not download the full 11 gig again.
Try the small Basement one first ( 308 meg ) and you will see what i mean.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As the warning notice that everything in MAX folder will be erased with the click of the continue button..."

it only erases stuff that shouldn't be there, i.e. if you add files or change any - it will not erase and redownload everything.
all imported assets should go in the user documents directory rather than in with the core files and you should be fine to download/update as much as you like
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
UNIRD12B
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2021 14:11
Hey Gubby ,
as far as your download problem...I wrote this in another section
but not sure if you saw it.....here it is again...just in case...

Hey Gubby ,
the next time you try a download..try this..

Ctrl+Alt+Del.
then start,,,TASK MANAGER...
chose...PERFORMANCE...
Then start your download and watch all the gages
and see which one are running high..
that might help to identify your bottleneck..

Often , its a SLOW hard drive...swapping in an SSD will make
a BIG difference if your current drive is running way high %.
SSD is anywhere from 5 times to 20 times faster.

RAM and CPU are.....USUALLY next....

BUT...First...see if you can find the main bottleneck.

UNIRD12B
Let\'s actually make something happen with this one !
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2021 14:51 Edited at: 24th Dec 2021 14:53
Hello,

After having read the interesting comments posted by the experts of this forum, I want to share this about the "MAX updating system" (see commented screen capture) :

I may understand how much it is frustrating to dowload big files from a web server when you've a low speed internet connection because I had to suffer from that problem a few years ago when I lived in a country surrounded by hills and where there were no wired network.

A few days ago I wished to update GameGuru MAX in a rush and unfortunately I didn't notice that the assets were not ticked in the selections (why ? I don't know). When the updating process was completed I started GameGuru and I saw that there were no content available for the level that I just created. Fortunately my own custom made assets stored in another folder were still available.

Good to know : I discovered that it is useless to rename a folder relative to an installed application in Windows 10.
You could be tempted to do that with GameGuru MAX main application, thinking that it would be a good way to prevent any deletion of your its content in case of an unfortunate updating process.
That's why I create a backup of the existing folder. In this way I don't need to download a lot of gigabytes if something wrong happened during the updating process.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2021 15:08 Edited at: 24th Dec 2021 15:11
Quote: "A few days ago I wished to update GameGuru MAX in a rush and unfortunately I didn't notice that the assets were not ticked in the selections (why ? I don't know). "

I assume your putting all your own assets in the \ Documents \ GameGuruApps \ GameGuruMAX \ Files \ entitybank \ etc and not the core itself ... Nothing you create should go in the core.

If the GameGuruApps folder is updated it makes a backup of that one automatically.
As for your old maps if you reinstall the packs they should all be ok again.
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Synchromesh,

It seems that I don't clearly explain what happened.

Did you read this part of my comment ?
Quote: " Fortunately my own custom made assets stored in another folder were still available."

In my comment I referred to the content provided by GameGuru MAX not mine.

I am sorry if my comment is not clear enough about that.

PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2021 15:45 Edited at: 24th Dec 2021 15:47
Quote: "If the GameGuruApps folder is updated it makes a backup of that one automatically."

Synchromesh, for the benefit of this community, please could you provide more information (for example the name of a folder created by GameGuru MAX during the updating process ) ?

All what I can see in my drive (see screen capture) relates to an automatic backup of my own custom made content :

I examined the subfolder "files" in those automatic backup and I found no folders relative to the assets provided by GameGuru MAX.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I found no folders relative to the assets provided by GameGuru MAX."

You wont find any .. It only backs up your custom content in the GameGuruApps folder.
Like i mentioned above .. If by any chance you removed a core pack accidently then re-downloading the missing pack will put all the assets back when reloading your map.
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Synchromesh, thank you for confirming that both of us were on the same track.
The confusion came probably from the way I explained the process executed on my desktop.
In the previous alpha versions of GameGuru, those red crosses shown beside the unselected assets didn't appear, it was an empty box.

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In the previous alpha versions of GameGuru, those red crosses shown beside the unselected assets didn't appear, it was an empty box."

Yes which meant all your packs would be removed as they were not ticked which was even more confusing
The red crosses were added as a visual note they were not selected.
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info- everyone. It seems the updater is smarter than my caution-ism.
@UNIRD12B
Thanks for posting that. Yeah I might have been able to improve the download speed now.
I think after a major W/10 update, 6 months ago- it went overboard and tweaked something internet related. Or... my memory is bleak and I tried some tweaks myself because my internet (just on this computer) though good speed, had the habit of going completely out every few minutes.

But what might have helped to retrieve the speed is this;

1> Plugged in an internet adapter, though I'm not 100% it matters... Probably not really.
2> Primarily though - - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-internet-but-slow-download-speed/1ccc54a4-184f-42bd-ae02-46e3234a6f2a

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:42:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:42:08