Off Topic / Backup Regimes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2021 06:03 Edited at: 20th Dec 2021 06:08
I am just wondering what other people's backup systems are and whether mine is overkill (or inadequate).

I have been working quite hard on a visual novel (while I wait for GG Max to come to fruition) for nearly a year now. On a daily basis I copy my project onto five flash drives, one SD card and one external hard disk (I remove two of the flash drives). Sometimes I make copies to two further flash drives which I carry on my person when I go out (I mean, is this a mental illness or what?). I also upload a zip file to the cloud every few days or so.

My project is now at 1.7GB and growing. All these backups take increasingly more time as the project grows, but the bigger it gets the more I feel the need to protect it. But it is now quite time-consuming. Am I being excessive with my backups? Maybe my time would be be better spent actually developing the project...?

Any thoughts on this?

By the way, Merry Christmas everyone!
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 23rd Dec 2021 09:04
Hi i use https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html
Mainly to backup my source code, multiple destinations can be set, and also incremental backups, so after first full backup it only takes a few mins/seconds for the following backups.
Incremental will only backup your edits/changes rather than backing up the same thing all the time, saves a lot of time
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-9700K @4.2GHz - 64GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB - 2TB NVe, 1TB NVe, 2TB Hybrid Data Drive
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Asset Manager
xRange No Nonsense Tools
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2021 22:04
Quote: "On a daily basis I copy my project onto five flash drives, one SD card and one external hard disk (I remove two of the flash drives). Sometimes I make copies to two further flash drives which I carry on my person when I go out (I mean, is this a mental illness or what?). I also upload a zip file to the cloud every few days or so."

Well, since you asked, this sounds to be bordering on an obsessive compulsive disorder.
It really depends on wether or not you feel the need to do this and if you feel anxiety if you try to just stop doing it for a week or if you just keep a single drive with the backup. Its not necessarily something that should cause problems in your daily life but if you happen to be in therapy I would certainly bring this up in conversation.

Personally, I have external USB drives where I copy over my project files, photos and documents every couple months. As far as game dev is concerned, I now always have 2 copies of a map file in case one of the models happens to be corrupted in my latest save so I can roll back.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
OK. Thanks, guys.

I will look into that backup software. I recently bought some backup software from Amazon and it is useless - it won't even accept the serial number.

O.C.D. Mmm... maybe. But thankfully I am too busy with my game to do any cleaning.
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, Wolf, you might be right... I have had a lot of therapy. I am not good at dealing with uncertainty or loss.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:20:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:20:11