Product Chat / Whats really wrong with Game Guru

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2021 12:42
Hey gang!

I am aware that these kinds of threads aren't exactly rare on here and that I will likely not say something that hasn't been said before. The reason why I am writing this is because I believe I can pin point some core issues from an experienced perspective and that I can summarize GG's core issues without bias towards what I believe the engine should be compared to what it is. I will also promise you that I won't bring up tired comparisons to unity or similar useless tangents. This is more an exploration of whats really wrong with game guru, without vitriol and without someone trying to start an argument. I've also spent a lot of time with the software so I can pin point things a bit more accurately than someone who tried it for an hour and then complains on steam about "ps2 graphics lel".

If you've been around this community for a while you might have noticed several projects of mine in the work in progress section... you might have also noticed that virtually none of them where ever released in any playable state.
The only game guru games I ever actually finished are test games. And those are quite old by now. Even though both of these have been released in 2016 and 2017 respectively, they are still on page 1 of the showcase board. Why is that? Well, there aren't that many finished GG games... and among those that are finished... there might be half a dozen at the most that are actually fairly decent. Thats not a good track record for an engine that came out 8 years ago.

(Test games can be seen here and here)

Making games is a long standing hobby of mine and I have created a fair amount of them... but why not in GG? Its the easy game maker after all... but is it? Well, I am currently stringing together a couple of scattered levels from my project Spectre to send to friends for testing and while doing so, the issues that arose and just the amount of jank inspired me to write this down. To make a list to pin point why GG is quite difficult to work with and why so few game projects worth a lick are ever released.

1. Stability, Memory, Loading and Asset management

This is a big killer, especially for inexperienced users. Now I am aware that max will be 64 bit and a lot has been said about GG being 32 bit and therefore handicapped from the get go. The fact that this isn't exactly true given that the overwhelming majority of games until relatively recently where all running in 32 bit engines. Alan wake, crysis, skyrim, and arma 2 to name a few where all 32 bit game releases. The difference is how these engines handle content.

GG front loads all content within a map, making it not only likely to crash if your map has a certain level of complexity or (god forbid) lightmapping. This is also why loading in Game Guru takes forever.
GG, like its predecessor, isn't too decent in clearing ram, meaning that unless you use the setup command to force it to purge the memory in between level loads games usually crash 2 or 3 levels in. So now we have a game that takes ages to load (I have been reading about people where games took more than 3 minutes to load... this makes everyone who isn't used to GG's excentric quirks assume the game has crashed and tap out)

When creating a standalone game, you are more less required to build all your levels one by one and later stitch them together to avoid crashes, masses of missing media and other stability issues. This isn't obvious or even easy to do for someone who is new to the engine.
You will also find that some media from your map will be missing in the standalone version. You can copy these files in manually, however, now they will not be encrytped and again, a new user will likely have no idea that he needs to do it and release a game with missing props.

Much like fpsc, there is a lot of jank in creating and running a finished game guru game and I dearly hope that this part of the experience will be significantly improved in max.

People's gameplay ideas are also somewhat hindered as its relatively difficult to have values carry over from level to level.

Also, last but not least... Performance. Considering what is on screen in my games, mainly very basic shaders, lowpoly models and bare bones post processing effects its just not acceptable that it sometimes dips below 30 fps despite optimization efforts. I really hope that this will be an absolute PRIORITY during maxs development...but I am not yet convinced that it is.

Rendering (and yes I will go on about lighting again.)
Have you ever noticed that the people who talk about state of the art graphical features the most are usually people with zero art direction skills? Well, its just an aside. I've never been one to insist on having graphical features that I am not skilled enough to use properly nor do I have trouble creating a coherent visual experience using older tech. However, even though I think I can make a game look acceptable in game guru and the quality of the art assets in my games is good enough for me there is always this muddy, blurry ugliness to it in game guru. Given that most of my art collection is adapted to GG and FPSC (darker textures, color corrected materials, compressed .dds files, lowpoly models and so on) there is still just a certain "cheapness" to how everything looks.

This is due to the ugliest lighting engine on the market right now. The lightmapping itself is so unwieldly that I know only 3 GG users that ever gotten the hang of it and the dynamic lighting basically just vomits colors on the models. The normalmapping is riddled with unless you make them by hand the dynamic shadows are much darker on some props than on others... sometimes it won't show on terrain but will then be very pronounced and pitch black on a wall in the same area. Interiors just drown in an onslaught of bad shader rendering, lack of shadows and odd lights. It can really break the players immersion quite easily and you need to do a lot of faking and messing around to hide it well.

I understand that graphics are a complex topic with many different tastes, likes, dislikes and priorities to consider and I don't want to spark another pointless "but its about the gameplay, you philestine!" discussion so let me be clear: A 3d engine needs to have some basic features and lighting is, as I have so often said, a core component. As always, here is my little picture showcasing 2 3d scenes...with and without light: LINK

I understand that this has been improved in max and I hope to see it iterated upon in the future

Also have you ever noticed how GG was out for so many years and we never got a saturation slider? We got contrast and brightness...no saturation.

AI (and why so few of us ever tried to improve it)

I am aware that this has also been discussed a lot and that the glitchy GG AI that will either snap towards the player and empty a magazine into him, before he had a chance to react or just stand there looking confused is somewhat notorious by now.
However, given the limited amount of commands at hand to have the enemies react to themselves and the environment also seriously limited our ability to improve it all that much. I will make a suggestion here in regards to game guru max.
The GG AI is divided into these rather obtuse packages (modules) and not very approachable. In GG's predecessor, FPSCreator... AI was much simpler. Sure, they didn't have nav mesh either but seemed a lot more responsive than the GG versions. In fact, custom AI by errant AI and butterfinges was quite decent.
In FPSC, there where several simple AI scripts the player could choose from. An enemy could just stand, rotate to player and shoot or an enemy could run towards the player once he was spotted but nothing else.

I understand that there will likely be a "one fits all" package for the enemies in game guru max but I think it should be possible, and relatively easy to do to also let us have the simple AI scripts back.

Sometimes an enemy should just be a sniper and stay stiff at his spot. Maybe duck when he reloads but thats it.
Sometimes an enemy could just duck down and fire in predetermined bursts.
Sometimes an enemy should just run towards a waypoint, rotate to player and shoot.

If TGC gives us those scripts back, we could have far more interesting firefights in GG.

This video shows FPSC AI, that is usually only a few lines of code that does the bare minimum...however notice how its a lot more reactive than the default GG AI.

Accessibility

I have written a fair amount of tutorials for GG through the years and most of them I've written because I ended up explaining these things over and over again to people in discord. And while explaining how to rig custom weapons, how to optimize props, how to convert props properly for best use in GG and so on I noticed how none of this is easy or particularly obvious.
Underneath the easy game maker facade is a very complex engine where everything is backwards. By that I mean, the workflow to customize stuff or make media from scratch for GG is not only very complicated, requires third party tools that are rather dated its also often very different from what it is in any other engine. Personally I can find some appeal in this but if I where a betting man, I'd put down money that for most people its a deal breaker.

I don't know how this can be achieved but I think a lot more transparency and guidance for new users is needed.
I give you an example: GG's character creator has been around for most of GG's life time. There was zero documentation for users to make their own heads or hair styles until I've written one this year. Which might have been futile, given that max is about to come out and has a different system. Either TGC or we as a community should put a couple hours aside and jot down how things are done for new members to read up on once Max is out. Something needs to be improved here.

Alright, that was my rant ... and in part also an exploration as to why so few of us ever released a finished game compared to other software I have used and maybe it will also serve as a list of core issues that TGC/Lee can check out.

-Wolf
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Dec 2021 10:13
Nice write up Mr Wolf, your points are valid and true.
ironically i must say that some of the points you mention have had some positive actions within the community, yes a lot will give up because its too hard and does not work the way they expect but there is a small minority that take a lot of this as a challenge and want to 'crack this nut' as it were .

These exceptional users could be named but i wont do that you all know whom they are, the hurdles in Classic are an appeal to some and one of the reasons we have long serving users, so yes i agree with you but on the flip side would the community be what it is now if GameGuru was pure and simple ?

I am not defending TGC in any way and like i said i agree with you, and things could have been improved long ago, for me it is just a hobby and after 17 years i also have not released a game but i have made some great friends and learned a lot, not just game making, i have created assets and applications none of which i could have done without GameGuru and the community, it may not have been what GameGuru was designed for but i have had a lot of fun
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-9700K @4.2GHz - 64GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB - 2TB NVe, 1TB NVe, 2TB Hybrid Data Drive
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Asset Manager
xRange No Nonsense Tools
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2021 14:55 Edited at: 7th Dec 2021 15:03
Quote: "Sometimes an enemy should just be a sniper and stay stiff at his spot. Maybe duck when he reloads but thats it.
Sometimes an enemy could just duck down and fire in predetermined bursts."

You mean like this guy. Pretty close
But agreed it could all be so much better rather than a script for purpose.

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2021 00:24
Very true read.

I think that the graphics engine in classic was not a good one hence repeated atari console likened graphics.

Lee is not an artist and i think that was why it faltered
Also old practice and habits are hard to break.
Front loading is 80s to 90s and 32bit is limited so old school methods make the engine for better words poor lame eye sore
I think some very sloppy methods by lee but i think he is just a messy genius. The guy is ace and very lovable but he has a wandering mind that strays and probably why errors occur and standalone have missing items crash and the whole end product is messy.
Management and method is reflected in the end product. I think however he has learnt a huge deal from classic a near 8 year fail. Yes it was released but it was messy still bugs. Encumbered with prbably unnecessary dormant code and masses of old methods that didn't cut it. There are a million fails in classic

However i am seeing and i think he is learning from 8 years of a fail with angry customers allover. He lost some very good customers too.. Rolfy i miss his out the box way. Domixicin. Occasionally we see kraven and a few other inspirational members but lee lost them through the poor engine.

This time he has learnt to use a proper graphic engine a good physics engine and better ai and navmesh. There is a lot of good stuff that was not even to be considered for classic but is now in

There is a better design for chas creator and i believe a huge potential to make it more expansive

Rpg stuff has been promised

The nav for games levels is a huge improvement and better designs for menus etc
What i see is a huge step in the right direction now and tgc have leaped in tech advance but still front loading i believe that is silly no need for that

The nodes terrain system fell by the road side it seems and have us the old way of working again
Bigger area due to the wicked engine but its the old methods again.
This is something they really need to work on. So what happened to the load terrain in areas gone? I actually think they cant do it. I think its passed their understanding or something as they started it then bang a 5km play area square

Cop out central.
The question i have is are they brave or playing safe... At present its the latter playing safe and what they have always done
Front load and using other techniques to compensate

Ya never know though they may one day work out area loading techniques

Till then its limit central
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
I hear ya Wolf. I'm a noob here, so nobody thinks "I've earned my stripes". Well, of course nothing like the rest of you veterans but I do have a little experience with the level editor in question. It hasn't all come together and worked for me - yet either. I guess I'll keep banging along a bit more, and just put my broken ol game on Steam with the rest of them.

For some of us, there's not just a time factor, but also a money ($) factor-- as GG was made for.
I wonder if it's really such a great promotion for GG MAX showing all which GG Classic has issues wise.........
But don't worry- even if over many years you spent $400 or $600 on GG, GG DLC and TGCstore items.........
We're gonna discard that one, and we'll SELL you a new, *hopefully* fixed and acceptable version.
So get ready to start sending us a lot of money again? Now ain't that's real purdy.
Time is money- and money is money.
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2021 07:54 Edited at: 8th Dec 2021 07:58
Hello,

Wolf, it is now a few years ago that I'm silently visiting this forum.
The new adventure of GameGuru MAX motivated me to be more active in this forum (even if my mothertongue is not English).
Internet is a place where I learned humility.
I could compare a freelance video game developer with a biathlete and I may say that what you demonstrated with your "unfinished" games is a true performance.

Quote: "Yeah, there are two camps here, modelers and scripters. To be both would be bliss"
written by GubbyBlips on 23rd Nov.

Wolf, you are a lucky one who received that bliss. ( https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/223151 )

Today, after having read this thread, I made a search in my archives relative to "The Game Creators" and I found this :
Redacted2 downloaded in August 2020.

I was fascinated by the strange atmosphere in scenes like this one where light and darkness are mixed harmoniously.

I wasn't able to travel farther than this point in the first level ( even if I tried again and again) :

Then I thought : "Why that skilled game developer doesn't give me a chance to go farther in his game ?".

At that time I also saved the beautiful screen captures of your other projects.

Congratulations !
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2021 15:24
Thanks for reading! I half expected this to end up burried when I saw how long it turned out to be

@Graphix
Quote: "ironically i must say that some of the points you mention have had some positive actions within the community, yes a lot will give up because its too hard and does not work the way they expect but there is a small minority that take a lot of this as a challenge and want to 'crack this nut' as it were ."

Haha, I know what you mean. Yes, there is a certain amount of fun to be had to do something in GG that hasn't been done before and to make something working you initially thought would never work out but I still feel that there are a few short comings that we just can't "paint over".

@Science Boy: I am also cautiously optimistic about max but we still have to wait and see. As you said, there seem to be some core issues that are carried over but I just think its too early to tell to what extend these will be limiting.

@GubbyBlips:
Quote: "But don't worry- even if over many years you spent $400 or $600 on GG, GG DLC and TGCstore items.........
We're gonna discard that one, and we'll SELL you a new, *hopefully* fixed and acceptable version."

Hmm, I am pretty confident that you should be able to just use your GG media in GG Max. I have not yet done a lot with max but importing assets seems to be rather straight forward.

@mikeeven
Quote: "I could compare a freelance video game developer with a biathlete and I may say that what you demonstrated with your "unfinished" games is a true performance. "

Wow! Thanks a lot. Working on games as a hobby can often feel a bit like tinkering in a void compared to other art forms but reading encouraging comments like this is always great

Quote: "Wolf, you are a lucky one who received that bliss."

I appreciate it but no, my scripting abilities are rather limited and my scripts tend to be convoluted and awful. Sometimes they actually work though. Sometimes.

Quote: "Then I thought : "Why that skilled game developer doesn't give me a chance to go farther in his game ?"."

At this point you would need to jump over the AC units and gangplanks on the building walls. I know that its not exactly straight forward but I added this part for my old friend Bugsy who has always had a soft spot for parcour in video games. Still, thanks for playing and I am glad you liked it!

-Wolf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 08:57:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 08:57:17