Product Chat / Asset packs into Unreal or Unity?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2021 22:59
Can the models from the GameGuru asset packs on Steam be imported into either Unreal or Unity?

Sorry if this was answered somewhere else, I couldn't find it.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 19th Nov 2021 03:29 Edited at: 19th Nov 2021 08:46
Yes you can use it to make games however you like.However it should be noted newer models has moved over the to the DBO format, and these days it is becoming harder and harder to convert the DBO formats to other formats, while there are forumites that have written tools and such, it is going to become harder in future as TGC has, asked some popular software to remove support, like fragmotion, which no longer supports the DBO format and the older version, no longer supports the updated DBO format.

The big reason for this is the added support for sketchfab in gameguru max, which I assume TGC has some agreement with to better secure the format.Older model packs should work fine, some of the newer model packs is already on the store is using DBO only.
Win10 Pro 64bit----iCore7 4770k @ 3.5GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2021 08:39 Edited at: 19th Nov 2021 08:41
.dbo is becoming ( or is now ) a closed format.
Max model packs are not free to use in other engines like Classic as far as i am aware.
You would need to clarify that with TGC.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2021 09:12
Quote: "Max model packs are not free to use in other engines like Classic as far as i am aware."
Have no idea either, but I think it was posted in the classic section so assume it related to classic media.
Shmidt03
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much for this information thread. I have been looking for answers to my questions for a long time and it was you who helped me.
The Hound of Meath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2021 18:57
Thanks for the information guys, very helpful.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2021 05:21 Edited at: 21st Nov 2021 05:38
Quote: "
.dbo is becoming ( or is now ) a closed format.
Max model packs are not free to use in other engines like Classic as far as i am aware.
You would need to clarify that with TGC.
"

BTW I looked around in the max assets library a bit and found this, however this is not applicable to all media in the max library, in some instances they commissioned media and own the rights.I think the TGC store has also updated license agreements with regards to engine support.However as mentioned previously with DBO becoming a closed format, it is going to be a lot harder to convert media to use in another engine.

I will add some people don't like this, however I have no problem with it as it has greatly reduced instances of piracy as well as reduce risk of abuse of assets provided.I mentioned a few months back once assets leave the gameguru environment, control over how assets is used in no longer in the control of TGC or the artists.

The closed format and better protection of assets was necessitated because while TGC has commissioned content in the past, where the license was transferred to TGC, they also have a fair number of DLC's that are under license to sell, where the creators of the DLC still retains the license and copyright to the assets. So it is a bit trickier these days. I understand that people find that the assets provided by TGC and store is really attractive because it is cheap as chips, however assets wasn't necessarily intended to be used outside of the TGC environment, or really supportive of environments like unreal or unity. Most artists would prefer that their assets stay within the TGC environment.

Quote: "License Terms for Entity: Brittlebush - Plant D. This asset is part of the Red Desert collection by Silvertm.

You have the rights to use this dbo file and its related dds texture files in any GameGuru MAX game you create and are free to distribute your games for free or commercially.
You may not distribute this file on it's own or part of an asset model pack.
You may not use this file with any other game creation tool (eg Unity, Unreal, etc)
You can contact the author of this asset if you wish to license the model in other formats or for other means."
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 22nd Nov 2021 12:25
Totally agree with you there WoI, for myself, my plan was always to provide assets for GameGuru in the native formats at a reduced cost for the community, and then to also release the same assets in more standard formats for other engines at a higher cost, i never did in the end because it was too easy to just take the cheaper assets and convert them, but now that DBO is becoming a closed format i will probably take up that plan again.
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

cigetec89
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for sharing this.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:51:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:51:35