Work In Progress / Guild of The Peculiars

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2021 16:16 Edited at: 10th Oct 2021 17:26

Developer: T-Bone/Teabone

Storyline: You control a party of 4 unique individuals, ranging from different genders, race and class, navigating caverns, dungeons and other depths of the forgotten and unknown. As you embark on an adventure into the deep seeking treasures and combating dangerous foes that lurk in the dark.

Description: Guild of The Peculiars is a grid-based, first person, dungeon crawler RPG. Inspired by first person RPG's of the 1980's and early 1990's, such as Eye of The Beholder, Wizardry, Lands of Lore and Dungeon Master. Also interactive adventure games like Shadowgate.

Guild of The Peculiars uses similar mechanics as the the classic dungeon crawlers, in that you can only move in a grid and rotate 90 degrees in all directions. Similar games have since come out recently using this same mechanic that the classics used to. Such games as Legends of Grimrock and Vaporum.

Game Website:
http://tyronemw.com/peculiars/index.html

Gameplay: Grid-based RPG's of this genre require that you navigate by strafed-left or right and moving forward and back. This can be done by using the arrow keys or WASD. You can also rotate left or right by pressing Q or E. You interact with the environment by using the mouse cursor and clicking on objects you see in the world. This means you can pull switches, open chests and collect loot.

You control up to 4 people at once. This means you have to manage their health and use them to combat enemies. Each party member can wield up to two weapons at a time. Both weapons can be controlled by pressing either left or right mouse button while in battle. Or by simpling clicking on the weapon icons.

Guild of The Peculiars also comes with an extensive menu system which includes a full inventory, status menu, spells, quests and more. The interface is fully interactive with the mouse.

Looking for Testers!
I am currently looking for alpha testers who don't mind bumping into walls and purposely finding bugs and issues with the game. Also looking for unfiltered critical feedback about the game in general. from the visuals, mechanics, game-play, tone and anything else you may find. Any feedback is incredibly valuable at this early a stage in development.

Send any bug reports via Discord:
https://discord.com/invite/mgWTsPA

The game is currently in very early pre-alpha stage. The story will continue to evolve and change and so will the visuals.
Store Assets - Store Link
Free Assets - Resource Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2021 12:19
Impressive T-Bone..... very different indeed
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, EVGA GTX1070ti 8gb Nvidia gfx card.

Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Novation Ultranova Synth, Roland D05 Synth, Akai MPX8 sample player, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Asus Ryzen 7 Vega 10 gfx chip, Vivobook Laptop, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram.

Cherry audio Voltage Modular Synth, PS-20 Synth, Eight Voice Synth, CS2600 Synth, JU106 Synth. Samson Graphite 49 Midi Controller Keyboard
c4ever08
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea I agree I Can see the work put into this looks like now it may be paying off. This is a really unique game for a GG game I love the sounds and the inventory system is awesome Good Job.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2021 20:02
Welcome down here! Glad to see you finally decided to make a wip thread.
Feedback is a bit rare down here, but I know that people are reading what we post here....there are dozens of us DOZENS!!

In all seriousness I am somewhat aware of all the scripting that went into this and am in awe that you got it working at all, let alone as well as it does. Its 100% not what GG was designed to do and here you are doing it anyway so godspeed and best luck with it!
PixelF
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2021 23:40
Easily the most impressive Game Guru game I have ever played! The scripts work extremely well, game is very well optimized, and lighting/graphics look good. This is an awesome project and its refreshing to see something unique and not another boring FPS game.
Bob Humid [2021]
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2021 20:20
Very cool and promising! Downloading it as of now. Can´t believe the tech_specs starting with Nvidia GeForce 400 ...

It looks like a lot of love went into this already and personally I love the classic approach.

I will report.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2021 10:33
Me too. Big wow to the task you have achieved i could only even dream of.
Example
Choosing characters
Movement
Turn based attacks
Inventory
Skills advances etc
This is what i love
Im a fan of the crawler all the way back to the original i believe was dungeon master. Ultima got me into the rpg games on my c64 was amazing and a curse. Many a day lost on that instead of study. Still fantastic and then after the graphic adventure advancements with the pawn and guild if thieves I attempted to make a dungeon crawler graphic adventure on G.A.C
Total fail.
Anyway this looks fantastic you have a fantastic logical mind. I wish i had i and more the art side of life.
I loved grimrock 1 and 2. I also like the the crawler link site. A few lovely games being made there. Noticed the fantasy monsters being used a lot in them from tgc. Or unless the pack as been sold on other sites
Anyway fantastic work
Would love to test
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2022 23:05 Edited at: 10th Jan 2022 23:10
Thanks guys, I'm going to be taking another deep dive into the project soon to tackle equipping and unequipping of weapons and armors; and having the attack and defense powers reflect those change of wears.

I'm still debating how to approach the enemy movements and battles. If it should be entirely turn-based, semi-turn based or completely free roam. Getting the enemies to move based on a grid and have the player and enemies not go through each other is challenging. So I'm looking to some of the older and most recent dungeon crawlers to see how they approach this challenge. Currently the battles are real-time though each party member has a stamina bar that encourages the player to switch party members to continue the attack. Currently the enemies dont move. They sort of just block key areas of the the map and wait for you to engage them. I'm not a huge fan of this, so I will be conducting a few experiments around enemy movement later on.

For now I'm focused on getting each party member the ability change armor and weapons. Some progress has been made for weapons, I just need more time to finalize it so I can move away from the inventory system a bit and focus more on more fun areas of the game's development.

Essentially this whole project is like creating an engine with-in an engine. So its been quite a challenge, but I'm glad to see that Classic can currently handle it. Once i get all the little mechanics working and finalized, its going to be a breeze jumping into level design. That is something i can't wait to get to and I have many ideas I'd like to implement for new environments! -- but lots of work is needed before I can get to that stage.

Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2022 17:43
Hi Teabone! This looks really good! Downloaded and gonna give it a spin rite now!
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2022 05:43 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2022 05:46
Quote: "Can´t believe the tech_specs starting with Nvidia GeForce 400 ... "

I've since updated the lowest specs as that was based off a very early build, pre PBR and possibly even pre Directx11. I would highly recommend a 2GB card or higher.

Made some serious progress today...

I have an update coming before the end of the month; that will allow for equipping weapons you find around the dungeon and have the ability to use those weapons in battle maintaining their unique properties. This took some more Lua learning on my part and experimenting. I actually didn't know you could use variables within Lua tables within Lua tables using other global variables within:

Example: slot[slotnumber]["type"] = item[rewardslot[r]["id"]]["type"]

Doesn't look like much, but all that nesting of information in code allows for so much more possibilities when collecting loot and using the loot. For example weapons of different strengths, value and inventory appearances or drinking different kinds of potions that have different types of effects. Its exciting stuff programming wise and I'm thrilled to see it all working in game now.

There is much work to be done still with equipping and unequipped weapons.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2022 18:57
I keep keeping my eye on it. Mad respect for sticking to it so long
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2022 22:06
Quote: "Example: slot[slotnumber]["type"] = item[rewardslot[r]["id"]]["type"]"

Personally I think it looks more readable as:
slot[ slotnumber].type = item[ rewardslot[ r ].id ].type

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:47:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:47:05