Product Chat (Early Access) / Right mouse button to access tools?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2021 17:20
Any plans to add Right mouse button to access tools such as scale, position...?
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
For some reason they don't want to add them. Personally, I think it would be a lot faster than having to navigate the side menu for everything. I don't like the left click and drag option to move about either, never use it except by mistake. Hate the same system in Unreal as well. I just AWSD my way about, far easier. Not yet found a case where it is helpful.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to add my support for using RMB.
I find myself even to this day trying to use it in Classic, wonder why nothing is happening,
then remember "For some reason they don't want to add them."
Maybe some support in the live streams will bring this to the surface?
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2021 21:21
The right button is being used on the editor to move the camera; so, it implies assigning a different way to move the camera, or better, to get a tool menu, maybe a floating menu thru some sort of shortcut.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2021 00:59 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2021 09:28
Quote: "The right button is being used on the editor to move the camera; so, it implies assigning a different way to move the camera, or better, to get a tool menu, maybe a floating menu thru some sort of shortcut."

I just think its because as soon as you click on an asset with the LMB the properties are opened on the right hand side.
Its all there whereas LMB on an asset in classic would open the menu to select properties panel on the left. .
I dont see what else can be achieved by Right mouse clicking. But then Classic does not have that either.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2021 09:18 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2021 09:20
Quote: "I don't like the left click and drag option to move about either"

Me neither .. You can turn that off in the settings.
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2021 13:07 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2021 13:09
Quote: "Any plans to add Right mouse button to access tools such as scale, position...?"

Right click is used for panning the scene, so it seams unlikely we will get that useful functionality.
Having to go to right panel for scale, position, etc, really is quite unproductive and can' be completely avoided unfortunately.
Tis the same with shift+click to copy objects, never seams to do it first time for me. Why the heck we can't just click and clone it is beyond me, but it is what it is.

When it comes to Entity manipulation, Classic was much better to work with unfortunately.
It seams MAX can actually learn some good sense from his little brother but that too is not likely to happen.

But still wouldn't bother with Classic anymore myself - way too ugly!

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2021 13:30
Not sure about TGC using RMB other than pan scene, maybe a shortcut might bring up a floating menu, as GG does.

memory mark 2584.8

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually i do recall issues with the Classic menu with different screen resolutions and now Max can use multiple monitors so it may not be so straight forward ?
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2021 14:27
Usually, when you resize a window in any app it resizes all the interfaces (panels, buttons, menus, etc) to fit the window; it is not exactly the same, but maybe GGMax may use something like this.
Ignore if the operating system taking into account the screen res when a drag&drop operation takes place, don't mind about using multiple monitors (I just have one), but, yes, it may be an issue.
Anyway, the GGMax terrain is not the GG terrain, I think TGC is like RMB just to pan the scene, we don't have RMB even to copy and paste some value in settings, atm we need the keyboard to achieve it.

memory mark 2584.8

PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe this isn't something worth arguing over... or maybe someone off these forums will complain in Steam reviews... I don't know- I don't have MAX, and it's locked now so in that light, I approach the topic anecdotally. I only see this;

"I don't like the left click and drag option to move about either" - DVader
"Me either" - synchromesh
"The right button is being used on the editor to move the camera" - 3com
"Right click is used for panning the scene," - OldFlak

Sounds like both Left mouse and Right mouse pan or drag the scene? And what's the difference? And do I hear there's keys for panning as well? Meaning there's 3 ways to do it?

What the OP wants is quicker, closer access to object *properties* manipulations instead of going to the right side of the screen when you modify every object- which inconvenience seems to be agreed upon by a few people. (NOT saying the right menu is BAD and NOT saying it's useless or should be removed.) I assume there's a widget, but it's just not automatically there? I merely bring this up (just in case in the future) you ever want to double the selection capacity- instead of locking up half the mouse for one single action-- panning- which as presented in this thread seems to be sufficiently fulfilled already?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2021 18:53 Edited at: 25th Sep 2021 19:25
Quote: "What the OP wants is quicker, closer access to object *properties* manipulations instead of going to the right side of the screen when you modify every object"

There are to many properties. Right clicking would just open another another menu either way.
Its already there as soon as you click on an asset.

Look at the amount of options you have ( everything we ever wanted )
Right clicking would open a menu, Then Scroll to select another etc etc.
What could possibly be easier than its already there for you.

Move the mouse to the right is awkward .. For heavens sake !!

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2021 19:23 Edited at: 25th Sep 2021 19:23
The point behind mouse activated contextual menus is that they open at the position the mouse pointer is already at so you don't have to move very far. This increases productivity, reduces error and is also healthier for you.

It was one of the few things I liked about the GG UI, and so far I have yet to find anything about the MAX UI that I like.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2021 19:30 Edited at: 26th Sep 2021 02:10
Quote: "The point behind mouse activated contextual menus is that they open at the position the mouse pointer is already at so you don't have to move very far. This increases productivity, reduces error and is also healthier for you.
It was one of the few things I liked about the GG UI, and so far I have yet to find anything about the MAX UI that I like."

Perhaps im mis-reading but when you left click on an asset in Classic ( no right click in classic either ) and then select properties it opens the properties menu on the left side of the screen which you still have to move your mouse over to ?

EDIT ...
What i do not like is the yellow selection band around the assets .. I much preferred the shrink Wrap version in classic.
Its just to hard to distinguish what is selected when working on interiors.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2021 19:51 Edited at: 25th Sep 2021 19:52
It isn't done properly but it was almost there.

I used to be an Apple developer and one of the really good things they did was provide a sort of GUI bible which defined how you should put together things like menus. It was created way back when by the original masters of the art and is based on very scientific principles.

Unfortunately Microsoft never really took that part of the the art seriously so we have ended up with the mess that is windows where almost every App behaves differently.

Having said that though, if you right click around in Windows 10 you will see contextual menus (not necessarily very useful ones though) so someone at MS must have read it!
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2021 20:00
Also I am rather old fashioned, imo the best OS ever created for productivity was RiscOS, everything since then has been a backwards step for me.

In RiscOS every menu followed a strict set of rules so no matter what program you used the menus were familiar and all the functions worked the same way, you knew what a left, middle or right click would do before you clicked.
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2021 14:43 Edited at: 26th Sep 2021 14:52
Quote: "Sounds like both Left mouse and Right mouse pan or drag the scene? And what's the difference? And do I hear there's keys for panning as well? Meaning there's 3 ways to do it?"

Right click pans camera.
Left click drags terrain - can be disabled, and just use WSAD if you prefer.

It would be good to have r-click context menu for rotate - but if that can't happen then so be it.
As far as other settings in right panel it is expected behaviour - in classic you went to the left panel instead.
Whatever the case MAX is leaps ahead of Classic - jmo.

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Left "Click + Drag" also does lasso normal mode.
If however your using Left Click Drag Terrain then its "Shift + Drag" for lasso
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:30:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:30:20