Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2021 16:54 Edited at: 8th Sep 2021 17:04
Hi All,

Here is the recording of today's broadcast:

And here are the answers I could not get to in the live chat:

Q> How long would it take to walk from one side to the other on the largest scaled terrain?
A> It should take about 50 minutes to walk the 5km extend of the editable area, and days to walk to the very edge of the known procedural terrain system (probably).

Q> What about the game UI system ???
A> The UI system for the game will happen as part of the AI work currently being worked on.

Q> Will the new terrain system change how the player can interact with water now? Will there be more options for swimming etc?
A> There are no plans for advanced swimming but you will be able to go underwater in MAX.

Q> We will have some weathered trees, such as winter trees to dress those mountains and valleys?
A> There are no plans for trees that adjust based on the weather, it would be your responsibility to place trees with snow on them for cold and arctic scenes.

Q> Are the lightmapping and baking options being worked on at all?
A> There is no lightmapping at present in GameGuru MAX, all lighting effects are in real-time.

Q> Can you randomize the terrain in script?
A> There are no plans to control the generation of terrain with script commands.

Q> What's the ETA on NPCs and Weapons?
A> These are being worked on right now, and you should see progress in this area in the weeks to come.

Q> Can we mixed terrain themes in a same map?
A> You would start off with the terrain theme as a base, but then you can sculpt and paint materials into that terrain for different biomes as you see fit, such as a frosty part of your level. Another option is that you have two levels, one being forest and the next being mountains (for example).

Q> What are the plans for the edges of the terrain as in reaching the end of the terrain will it have infinate seas or landscapes or loading again?
A> There is no 'egde' as such as from a walking perspective the terrain generates as you go. You can choose to ring your level with water as though on an island, and we are looking at the idea of projecting mountains around the editable area so the player cannot pass them and create a good horizon shot for distant terrain.

Q> Will we be able to use real heightmap data?
A> There are no plans for the EA release to import height map data. All the terrain generation will be done procedurally, then manually edited with the sculpting tools.

Q> Will it be possible to have "Biomes" in the game world handled by the procedural generator?
A> Each biome (terrain theme) already use procedural generation to create the landscape, and choose the textures.

And just for Kenzu who had many questions, I compiled them all conveniently below for you:

​Questionmark?????? When is gg max out?? ​When is GG MAX release 2021 or 2022???
LEE: End Of November 2021

​is there going to be refunds for those who bought gg dlc after they were told to work in gg max???
LEE: We do not issue refunds on DLC bought for Classic unless they do not work for you in that software. MAX is still in development and there are no DLCs being sold for GameGuru MAX right now, but will happily offer refunds if MAX DLC does not work for you.

​please link the forum thread under htis video ..
LEE: Added to the YouTube Video

​how high can a map be in km? and how deep?
LEE: The terrain can be as deep and high as you set in the procedural system, but generally you will have more KM high than you would underwater. The final values have not been decided as yet.

​they [the Classic DLC] look outright ugly the ones i looked at ..
LEE: All the Classic DLC we tested in MAX look much better thanks to the new graphics engine. Perhaps post some shots of what you see.

​Oh right lying is okey for a company hten (​about the dlc working)
LEE: It is not okay for anyone to lie, not even a company.

​it was ages ago they claimed they would work in max but its not the case
LEE: Most DLC from Classic can be manually copied over and will work in MAX just fine. Some things will not such as the old character creator objects, most scripts, and other edge cases. Those DLC were originally created and designed for Classic. Development on MAX is not complete so any judgements on old Classic assets imported into MAX are premature.

​.. yeah just because it imports doesnt mean the quality is the same.
LEE: Always true!

​not some of the stuff that i bought.. thumb down.
LEE: Feel free to apply to TGC for a refund of any purchases you feel mislead about, we only want happy users here at TGC

Thanks to everyone who asked questions, more answers next week at the usual time Wednesday 4 PM BST
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2021 18:13
Well must say im. Impressed with the terrain waited for this for a long time. So i can have an idea of what i can do and how i can create and what. This looks fantastic

Hoping underwater efx will be very good
Swimming im sure will happen.
I have been struggling to get my critters of old to move around the basic terrain so be good to see how they are on the actual terrain

I think im gonna have some very intensive trail and error over ai and my critters. I thought i could use the ai anx assign to my beasts amd away you go. But i have had a backwards beholder falling through the floor and my jelly cube as spun lile a flipped and span coin wierd stuff lol

Anyone else having issues with none biped characters
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2021 18:45
wow that terrain as it appeared was incredible, great work Lee & the team, Max is really coming along in leaps and bounds now
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, EVGA GTX1070ti 8gb Nvidia gfx card.

Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Novation Ultranova Synth, Roland D05 Synth, Akai MPX8 sample player, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Asus Ryzen 7 Vega 10 gfx chip, Vivobook Laptop, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram.

Cherry audio Voltage Modular Synth, PS-20 Synth, Eight Voice Synth, CS2600 Synth, JU106 Synth. Samson Graphite 49 Midi Controller Keyboard
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
The terrain is looking fantastic so far, can't wait to try it out on Friday.

@Science boy. Not tried any animals out in Max as yet, but had a few issues with characters from other engines, but that could be something unique to those models. I've sent em on to TGC so they may be able to fix whatever is causing the slight oddities I have encountered.

I can always give a couple of your models a try on my system if you want. I have a few animals in GG off the store but not many, I'll have to try a few.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 8th Sep 2021 19:55
Quote: "All the Classic DLC we tested in MAX look much better thanks to the new graphics engine. Perhaps post some shots of what you see."
People aren't going to be happy when the new sewer DLC doesn't work in max lol. But It can't be helped due to the way they were designed.To be fair it was designed and setup for use in classic.Automatically expecting every thing to work out of the box in a completely new software and rendering engine is completely unfair. While compatibility was taken into consideration, only so much is can be done and up to a point.

I would say lee is being far too nice here lol. But that is just me.
Win10 Pro 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2021 21:19 Edited at: 9th Sep 2021 00:48
Lee should just label the Sewer Pack ( GameGuru Classic Only )
Job done !!
Its a GameGuru Specific pack simple as that.

Quote: "I would say lee is being far too nice here lol. But that is just me."

Even i cannot agree with Lee on that one .. It was always clear there will never be 100% compatibility and anyone with any sense should realise that. However 99% of what i have tried ( at least half the collection ) have been fine and any that did not auto convert i was able to Re-import via the importer. The Free Classic pack with 15 year old models. jpg's and old .fpi's etc is the exception. Anything in that pack that works is a bonus.
To expect a refund on a pack because a few might not work in Max is ludicrous considering pretty much everyone bought them for classic to begin with.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Sep 2021 21:43
Thanks Lee, The terrain system is looking Fantastic.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590S CPU @ 3.00GHz
RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2021 22:32
Great broadcast all round

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
128 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2021 23:45
Looking good MAX, looking good!

Quote: "And just for Kenzu who had many questions,......."

When I muck around being totally silly with the grandkids, my wife will sometimes say "cut it out your being stupid".
Those questions/expectations regarding media are just, well, stupid.
Some media will work, when they do some will look much better, some will not - this is an expected outcome for rational game devs.

jmo

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 9th Sep 2021 08:05
Quote: "Even i cannot agree with Lee on that one .. It was always clear there will never be 100% compatibility and anyone with any sense should realise that."
There will always be some thing to complain about. Well as soon as the max terrain system is in and the gameguru store is up and running the max version of the sewer will be available there at the same price.People will likely complain about that as well as some money grabbing scheme. lol

Win10 Pro 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
See, this is what happens when you mention backward compatibility. You think your doing a good thing, but really just creating a headache for yourself!

I also wonder just how much backwards compatibility will be in by it's release, seems a halfway house to me and I haven't tried an old map since very early days of release of Max. Didn't have much luck then and I imagine things haven't much improved. But as I said several times when Max was released, is there any real point? Especially as it's hit and miss with what will work and what won't.

There's only a couple of maps I would bother trying to port over, but as they are all heavily script based and some use 3rd person, I don't suppose I will have any luck with those.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2021 15:31
Honestly, I don't mind backward compatibility. I have on my hands a new tool with a bunch of new features to work with, so why mind about an old map, when I can make a new one with the new tools, and do things even better than the old one? but this is just my thought.

I also have a large map I have been working for a time, with all my effort and many hours of work, and I would like to just open it in GGMax and it is working like a charm without me having to do anything other than run the map, but this is no going to happen, though.

Or maybe we are going to need some GGMax pro version that forgets the old and opens the doors to the new, without having to constantly be held back, by backward compatibility. imho.

I wonder what big cities would be like, if they still had to allow the flintstones car to circulate, just to maintain backward compatibility.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
GreekToMe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2021 15:58
Well, Hello all for starters.
I was (I believe) one of the first ones who pre-registered way back then/when. Awaited for a long time as did a LOT of you. Now it seems that the day is approaching. I avoided many comments during the "waiting period", yet I FOLLOWED ALL of the weekly videos and promptly installed all of the updates. However, I didn't spend a whole lot of time with GG Max until I made sure that there is actually a release date. and the terrain module was actually shown.
Oh my! We have a release date! How cool is that!
Time to allocate my time to GG Max once again. On a brighter side, I learned Python\Pygame and made up plenty of 2D games for the grand kids.
About 2 1/2 months away for some serious game design and of course the enjoyable part of bug finding. I don't mind it!
So, excitement is afoot once again!
Thanks Lee and Team!
Cheers!!!!
Alexis A
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2021 18:08
Is the update a late one today? Looking forward to running around some terrains
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, EVGA GTX1070ti 8gb Nvidia gfx card.

Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Novation Ultranova Synth, Roland D05 Synth, Akai MPX8 sample player, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Asus Ryzen 7 Vega 10 gfx chip, Vivobook Laptop, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram.

Cherry audio Voltage Modular Synth, PS-20 Synth, Eight Voice Synth, CS2600 Synth, JU106 Synth. Samson Graphite 49 Midi Controller Keyboard
Stefos
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
No update?
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No update?"

Could be anytime up until midnight or later if Lee nods off in front of the screen
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2021 20:38 Edited at: 10th Sep 2021 21:24
thanks synchro, I don't blame Lee for nodding off, he is really piling in the work right now....

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "don't blame Lee for nodding off"

LOL .. It would not be the first time
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2021 21:18 Edited at: 10th Sep 2021 21:23
we need a "Guinness" and "Steak Pie" fund set up to keep him going..... but I have to say the new terrain looks so impressive. I didn't expect it to look that good this early on.

jjumisko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2021 21:54 Edited at: 10th Sep 2021 22:02
Hmm. Looks like the procedural terrain is not quite ready yet. No update so far?
--Edit: Spoke too soon. Just caught that there is an update! Downloading now!
Acer Nitro 5
2.4 GHz Core i5
GeForce GTX1050
32Mb SDRAM
PM
Stefos
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The update has brok my software, VCOMP140D.DLL was not found????
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2021 23:10
yep totally not working, missing dll apparently so reloaded old version via downloader and will attempt again. if any issues do inform here

may do a total clean wipe and re instal from scratch
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Stefos
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2021 00:00 Edited at: 11th Sep 2021 00:50
Problem is with with Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 and if you have active protection switched on..on your antivirus software. Make sure you have your antivirus software off (paused) when intalling these support files.
UPDATE:[u]
Still can't install the file must be an error on Lee's side, I get 2 files to update and it won't update (around 10mb)

Where do you find the error text?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jnick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2021 01:07
Install Errors text file: contains one line: Download file failed hash check "àœ”/", HTTP status: 200, Internal Error: "None"
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2021 01:35
Obviously, in his rush to get it out on the day he said he would, Lee has missed a few things. I'm sure he'll sort it out when he can.
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W10 Home 64-bit, Intel i7-11700 octacore, Nvidia RTX 3060ti, 16gb
the_blob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2021 02:51
My install of the new build went well but when I put down a player start marker and ran the game it froze with no error message. Rebooting the machine does not seem to help. Welcome to the bleeding edge of software development
Win10, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2021 08:54
Has Lee updated and corrected the error as yet, not tried to download the latest Max yet. Will do when the error is fixed.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Has Lee updated and corrected the error as yet, not tried to download the latest Max yet."

I tried a reinstall earlier and nothing yet.
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2021 09:13
ok, i will wait. thanks.

OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2021 10:51 Edited at: 11th Sep 2021 10:52
Unfortunately the build is broken, and a clean install will not fix it. Just have to wait for the next upload.

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
Casigus
Years of Service
User Offline
SEAMS to be working now!

PM
Stefos
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2021 20:46 Edited at: 11th Sep 2021 21:31
Not working for me...I now get downloading updated files 22.4MB 0/3 but does nothing then comes with errors!
I am amazed the downloader has now broken, the long slow painful process of checking every GameGuru max file on the computer has now got worse! Who would have guessed!

intall_errors.txt Download file failed hash check "Max/Files/terraintextures/mat20/Color.dds", HTTP status: 200, Internal Error: "Could not find file raw:/Program Files/GameGuruMAX/"

Attachments

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2021 23:30 Edited at: 11th Sep 2021 23:34
Quote: "Not working for me...I now get downloading updated files 22.4MB 0/3 but does nothing then comes with errors!"

Everyone sees that but it still should run.
Whether the installation is looking for old terrain files not required or available in this build i do not know but like i said it still should run.
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 12th Sep 2021 04:00

GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER PassMark: 18125
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2021 08:00
@cyber again you tread where others do not nice bit of flying.
Stefos
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2021 14:04 Edited at: 12th Sep 2021 14:45
Great start to the terrain system. However I fall through the terrain sometimes!
Shadow_Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2021 16:52 Edited at: 13th Sep 2021 17:03
I just tested the new terrain system out on my home-built computer (I still need to get a graphics card) right now I am running a Ryzen 3 CPU 2nd gen processor with Radeon Graphics built-in (I know not the best but it is what I can afford right now). Below is a short video that shows what I am getting out of this computer. GameGuru Max does take a while to go into gameplay but with patience (a couple of minutes) I am in and walking around. The video was taken with my iPhone, keep up the work Lee.

Attachments

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2021 01:41 Edited at: 14th Sep 2021 01:41
Thought i would give the Navmesh and AI a run for its money just to see if it would traverse area's well and have to say at this stage its not to bad at all

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:55:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:55:54