Product Chat (Early Access) / Various questions about GG MAX

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a 3D artist and I've always wanted to make games but I just am not and never will be interested in learning programming to do it. I've messed around with Unity and Unreal in the past but getting your characters into them and replacing the default robot-looking rigs was more effort than it was worth... even when you're essentially asset flipping with "templates" they provide they made it seem like you may as well start from scratch... The most promising newcomer for me until now has been Armory engine in Blender but after you've built an environment you're still just stuck with virtually no mechanics besides a hard to replace robot-looking controller.
I played around with both FPSC and GG classic years ago and they were neat but it was really awkward to import models, especially characters with skeletons... So GG MAX seems pretty awesome for me; I can world build and craft a story with objectives and put my art to use and I'm really looking forward to MAX being released but I have a nice handful of questions it would be nice to get answers for. I'll number them so they're easier to reply to.

1. Will it be possible to have a co-op kind of multiplayer? If I remember correctly in all the previous GG versions it was just like a deathmatch.

2. Will it be possible to have both multiplayer and single player in one executable? If remember correctly you had to choose if your game was mutiplayer or single player in the past.

3. Will it have an easy ragdoll option? Maybe this is more like a feature request and maybe it already exists and I haven't heard about it but it would be nice to tick a box and have characters flop when they die.

4. I'm planning to build environments... at the moment I'm working on some enemy creature things but I'm not so sure I'll be able to get them to interact with my environments very well since I'm planning to model sidewalks and roads etc. and it seems like currently enemies need the default ground in GG MAX to navigate and any imported models will get in the way of the AI... am I wrong? Will I be able to get my NPC's to interact with my other models?

5. Will animations import even if they don't utilise a skeleton for the animations?

6. If Lee sees this please can you talk more about root motion in one of the next broadcasts and how it works because it seems like you've been trying to implement it and it makes the animations nicer and maybe custom AI will now have more potential and I'm wondering if I can use it when I start putting my game together. Since I feel somewhat comfortable playing around with nodes in shaders the new AI system really interests me, especially if you put default characters in there that I can back engineer.

Thanks in advance.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2021 19:52 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2021 19:52
This may be best asked on the Live Streams Wednesdays at 4pm when you can ask Lee directly mainly nobody here has that exact info yet and i do not think Lee knows exactly himself yet being so early in development and has not even started MP yet. But that would be the best place to ask as only he will know.
What i do now is that the enemy is not grounded. The Navmesh covers upper levels \ Ramps \ steps and the AI can use it well
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Ivan Mectine
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you synchromesh! That was one of the more important questions! If the AI can guide my NPC's across my other models then at least I know I can build my world and have a basic working game. I plan to take pictures and recreate portions of places in real life, you see.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
A small test i did to show the navmesh in action.
Steps still need a little work but working on upper levels is no issue this time

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2021 01:49
Hello Ivan! Max is still in development so all I can offer is an educated guess based on where its heading so far. Everything I am about to say might change.

Quote: "1. Will it be possible to have a co-op kind of multiplayer? If I remember correctly in all the previous GG versions it was just like a deathmatch."

Earlier on in development it was stated that the multiplayer will be improved in terms of stability and quality of life but it was also implied that it will still be deathmatch. However, given that MP has not been developed yet, its possible that we might have more freedom when it comes to custom scripting during MP. If there will be any pre-made stuff to help you make a co-op game remains to be seen, however MP was mostly an afterthought in FPSC and GG and thus never really worked well. If this will change with max remains to be seen.

Quote: "2. Will it be possible to have both multiplayer and single player in one executable? If remember correctly you had to choose if your game was mutiplayer or single player in the past."

No info on that one yet.

Quote: "3. Will it have an easy ragdoll option? Maybe this is more like a feature request and maybe it already exists and I haven't heard about it but it would be nice to tick a box and have characters flop when they die."

That is already the case for GG and FPSC so most likely.

Quote: "Will I be able to get my NPC's to interact with my other models?"

Character navigation in GG classic is far better than what it was a couple years back and they can navigate models relatively well now but not up to any contemporary standard. GG max will have navmesh so characters can scale stairs and ramps quite well. As far as programming in contextual NPC interactions (character reaches a bench, sits down etc.) ... no info yet.

Quote: "5. Will animations import even if they don't utilise a skeleton for the animations?"

I think that this would be very unlikely but we'll see.

If I where you, I'd check back in a few months and see how things progress as many of these things are just not established yet.

-Wolf

sweldon
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2021 03:33
My GG MAx isnt updating properly how can I get it fixed ?
Some times logic is a conclusion of the illogical ITems
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2021 12:57 Edited at: 4th Sep 2021 12:58
@sweldon
No idea ... Not a lot of info to go on there ..
Can you at least tell us what your seeing or any errors your getting ?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 7th Sep 2021 09:16
Quote: "My GG MAx isnt updating properly how can I get it fixed ?"

My legs ache in the morning how can i get it fixed?

Seriously though, you need to provide more information that that, it could be anything, are you getting error messages? What are you seeing when it stops? How far through the process does it get? Without more detail it's like finding a needle in a haystack when all the hay is painted silver.
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I re-ran the tiny updater when my version seemed broken, seemed to fix it for me.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:02:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:02:34