Product Chat (Early Access) / Projects folder / or System

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
As a scripter and someone who is looking through all their old scripts, and a few modified
assets-- trying to possibly revive old projects to duct tape a custom game together...

I see the benefit of a projects system. And probably better if controlled under the Engine
--maybe-- me thinking. The only other option is to create your own folders under windows
but that essentially requires (ideally) you would already know everything you want to add
to the project at the beginning so as to be sure it's recognized. Not too hard actually...

I'm posting this for both MAX and Classic, but hardly anticipating any major functions like
this to find it's way into Classic. Anyhow, how are "projects" anticipated to be a part of
MAX development, if that's a thing anyone else thinks is important?
I'm pretty sure those who say "MAX is aimed at those who want to make a simple game
without scripting" for example { as LEE says } might not see the highest regard or benefit
for such a system. But what does the CUSTOM GAME making community think?

Would a projects system benefit more than your own windows folders?

Automatically it would if you ever had to change and more easily keep track of critical files
you might change up for different projects: such as GamePlayerControl, Global.lua etc.
which could be overwritten at any update. In other words, if nothing else at least allow a
[ commodity selection system ] this simply stands for opening a list of essential stock engine
files @ above concerns and clicking the version you want to activate under current project.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 00:49 Edited at: 28th Aug 2021 01:07
Quote: " The only other option is to create your own folders under windows
but that essentially requires (ideally) you would already know everything you want to add
to the project at the beginning so as to be sure it's recognized. Not too hard actually... "

Max should eventually contain all your files, scripts, sound, assets etc in the GameGuruApps folder so in theory you could have several game projects going simply by renaming the GameGuruApps folder .
"Horror-Project" , "Sci-fi-Project" etc then when you want to work on one just rename it back.
Not a perfect solution but fast, easy and it works
I already have a few on the go for testing and its kept all my maps, scripts, assets etc self contained for me so far.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 08:02
Quote: "Max should eventually contain all your files, scripts, sound, assets etc in the GameGuruApps folder so in theory you could have several game projects going simply by renaming the GameGuruApps folder .
"Horror-Project" , "Sci-fi-Project" etc then when you want to work on one just rename it back.
Not a perfect solution but fast, easy and it works
I already have a few on the go for testing and its kept all my maps, scripts, assets etc self contained for me so far."

You do know you could just create a custom write folder for every project ?

Win10 Pro 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 09:32 Edited at: 28th Aug 2021 09:35
Quote: "You do know you could just create a custom write folder for every project ?"

Yep for a custom location but it still has to be called GamGuruApps.
Either way you would have to rename it for sanity if you have several projects on the go
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 09:43 Edited at: 28th Aug 2021 09:44
Quote: "You do know you could just create a custom write folder for every project ?"

Course you could point it to for example D:\ Horror-Game \ GameGuruApps so it could work that way but that would mean changing the path in settings every time you want to switch.. its just easier to rename your default GameGuruApps folder.
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
What does "Custom Write Folder" even mean? Standalone? If so, not what I had in mind.
I'm referring to being able to access a list of projects when you begin your session, point
to a projects compartment and everything you have worked on in that project is there
(no more, no less). No clutter, but everything important. Scripts, textures, sights, sounds, etc.

Basically it looks like you're talking about having Windows do the projects arrangement
(under the editor panels...) ? And they still have to be named the same?
Not exactly a purposeful projects feature is it?- What I'm hearing is yes you can, but not really.

What I am going to try to start to do going forward in Classic is create (if I can think of them)
all the folders (inside) but annexed away from the main folders. As a cheesy projects system.
Will hopefully avoid update over-rides and old projects not being strewn far and wide across
folders and a big hassle when getting a new computer system, etc.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 22:35 Edited at: 29th Aug 2021 10:37
Quote: "I'm referring to being able to access a list of projects when you begin your session, point
to a projects compartment and everything you have worked on in that project is there
(no more, no less). No clutter, but everything important. Scripts, textures, sights, sounds, etc."

Yep .. That's exactly what the GameGuruApps folder can do.
Its not an official Project folder per say but does do what you describe.

The Default for the GameGuruApps folder is in Documents ..
The Custom Write folder path allows you to place it in any location or any Drive.
PM
3com
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 29th Aug 2021 12:25
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2021 12:58 Edited at: 29th Aug 2021 14:28
To be honest Classic is so much easier for this without using any tool.
Its just a case of renaming your old files folder to " Default- files " for example.
Verify so it creates a new Default one " files "

You can just rename each " files " folder in GameGuru to the project your working on
For example ...

Default- files
Protascope- files
Test Demos-files
HorrorGame-files

Which ever project you want to work on just rename it back to " files. "
Each has all its own self contained Project.
The difference between this and the GameGuruApps is that folder its totally separate from the engine.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:00:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:00:36