Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2021 16:44
Hi All,

Here is the recording of today's broadcast:

And here are the answers I did not get to in the live chat:

Q> ​Can you add the special 'Z line' on everything?
A> Can you provide a use case for seeing the XZ line guides for 'all' objects you select when editing a level?

Q> So will the lights and particles walk around with your characters if assigned as a group, i.e. firefly or a man on fire?
A> Yes if your character is a smart object, the character can have additional objects such as lights and particles. I can see lots of cool uses for this!

Q> In the engine, could we get grid arrows back? editor arrows for placement scale and rotation?
A> You do have the Grid Settings component when you select an object, allowing you to set the object position with a fixed grid or using a snap mode which detects the bounds of an object and snaps the new object next to it.

Thanks for all your questions, see you all next Wednesday 4 PM BST.
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2021 17:04
Too late.
Anyway, my question was about transparency:
Transparency is going to have some slider to control the grade of transparency I want to apply to my mesh?
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Is question #3 talking about a widget?
Does anyone think a 'widget' movement is better than the current mouse - click between
menu buttons before you can move up/ down, then another mouse- click @ menu button
to change back for horizontal movement?
I know GGC widget had small quirks, but this current setup looks a bit non-standard and
awkward looking. Also since I watched a 3rd party YouTube video on MAX, and the guy
could never find a way to rotate the object...
I would at least have these 3 buttons hover near the location of the object on screen for
clear and faster access.
...maybe 4 buttons the other being scale.

In another topic, his strong assessment of the pasted assets (particularly the cellar demo)
seemed to reflect my opinion of what was there as well. Maybe the lights just need to
be turned down, and decals added to the walls and floor, a little tuning down of some areas
of the grunge look, and just one or two variations to the wall and floor texture would lift
this "demo" up.
PM
Rich Dersheimer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2021 00:04
Loving the regular updates, but I've been wondering about something for a while...

Do you have smokey candles in the UK? I've got a candle on my desk right now, there's a pretty yellow flame, and maybe a thin line of black sooty smoke every now and then, but no white billowing smoke at all.

Anyway, I'm sure we can make actual flame looking particles, heck I've done it a few years past with AGK particles.

Rich
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2021 00:56
Quote: "Also since I watched a 3rd party YouTube video on MAX, and the guy
could never find a way to rotate the object..."

Perhaps he should get familiar with the tool before creating video?
[R] rotates the object, you can select the rotate option in the right panel to show the widget for more control, or you can use the sliders.
It really is not hard to work it out at all.

But I agree the options should come up next to the object when you select it in the editor. Having to go to the right panel for this kind of tweaking is my least favourite thing with MAX.
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2021 00:59
The Z line is an interesting idea - Using grid does the same thing tho, so not quite sure why people had an issue with lining stuff up before.
But still little features like that are cool to have.

The new updater is a great addition +100 on that!

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2021 10:45 Edited at: 5th Aug 2021 10:46
Quote: "The Z line is an interesting idea - Using grid does the same thing tho, so not quite sure why people had an issue with lining stuff up before."

True but im hoping it does it for all objects by default.
Not being able to clip the roof means placement of objects is difficult to position and place. from an angle indoors.
I think the Line will be a huge help for that.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2021 13:10
Max is certainly coming on in leaps and bounds now, makes you wonder what Lee & co have got up their sleeves next.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, EVGA GTX1070ti 8gb Nvidia gfx card.

Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Novation Ultranova Synth, Roland D05 Synth, Akai MPX8 sample player, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Asus Ryzen 7 Vega 10 gfx chip, Vivobook Laptop, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram.

Cherry audio Voltage Modular Synth, PS-20 Synth, Eight Voice Synth, CS2600 Synth, JU106 Synth. Samson Graphite 49 Midi Controller Keyboard
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@Rich Dersheimer. Nope normal candles Remember, most people probably haven't used any for many, many years and forget they don't really give off loads of smoke I doubt even middle age candles were particularly smoky, as the only part really burning is the wick.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2021 04:23
Tallow candles were the most common in Europe during the middle ages and they gave off a lot of smoke.
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”
Albert Einstein

I like GameGuru.
I like Vogon Poetry.
I need help.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 04:54:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 04:54:31