Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2021 16:46
Hi All,

Here is the recording of today's broadcast:

And here are the answers I could not get to in the live chat:

Q> Programming it's not necessary at all?
A> No you will not need to program in GameGuru MAX if you do not want to, you will be able to select behaviors that just work, and make small changes to those behaviors to suit your game ideas.

Q> Are we going to have laser type weapons, weapons that show bullet streams etc?
A> There are no plans for the first release to have laser weapons, though we have been talking about working with a third party to do a SciFi Kit that would include some futuristic weapons. We will see!

Q> Will there be a "creature creator" for non-human characters?
A> The closest to that for the first release will be the Zombie category which will have some interesting variants from the standard adult character rig, but there are no plans for 'out and out' creature creation, for that we recommend the model importer. We will be providing some sample animals with behaviors so if you imported animated creatures you can have them roaming your game level.

Q> How often will you merge branches with the Wicked development?
A> There is no fixed cadence for this, we are currently doing it when it makes sense within our development phases. For example, once we have the terrain system visuals where we want them, we will take the opportunity to merge with the latest Wicked to benefit from the improved clouds and scene visuals before tackling the visuals we want for atmospheric effects, and other effects we need. Looking forward to merging the next one

Q> ​Will the structure editor get any more work? Prefab creation helps a lot.
A> There are no plans for large-scale changes to the current Structure Editor (now found in the Developer Tools section) and it is likely to remain there until we see a genuine need to bring it out of Developer Tools. We have some ideas that might reduce the need for the Structure Editor for GameGuru MAX and we want to see how that pans out and what the reaction is from the community before we decide on the future of the current iteration of the Structure Editor.

Thanks for all your questions, and I will speak to you all again next Wednesday 4 PM BST.
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 21st Jul 2021 19:14 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2021 17:55
Lee, fantastic work with the character reactor. Thank you so much.
Just one question. will it be posable later to also change the hand gear ( gloves ) for the characters,? to not have them wear gloves all the time.
It would be so nice to be able to remove the hand gloves or change them.

Thanks
Pcs
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590S CPU @ 3.00GHz
RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2021 16:55 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2021 17:09
I haven't downloaded last weeks yet, too big to be messing about with in general (for what I use max for, normally about 5 mins an update) I wonder if I download todays version if it will have to get 2 downloads?

Until I can do more than place objects about a plane really not got any motivation to test it much. The objects are nice to have, but just loading em to look at is not my idea of fun. So until we get some actual game making we can do really not likely to download 20 gig files. Especially if I am re-downloading the same ones!

Oh I'd also like to add the the first question listed above.
Quote: "Q> Programming it's not necessary at all?
A> No you will not need to program in GameGuru MAX if you do not want to, you will be able to select behaviors that just work, and make small changes to those behaviors to suit your game ideas."

Take that with a pinch of salt people. Yes it's true, the same could mostly be said of GG as well. If you wanted to make a game that wasn't almost identical to everyone else's. However, EVERY game engine needs coding of some sort at some point, unless TGC plan on writing scripts for everything, which is impossible. Max has more options in editor to make it less likely you will need to use notepad, but only for simple titles. We all know no-one will be happy with simple titles. In fact we all know many will be thinking Skyrim/GTA etc. If you want either of those you will need to code (and probably move to Unreal or Unity).

Not to knock Max's built in behaviours with objects, but just being realistic. No point getting newbies hopes up too much!
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
No doubt Dvader. Yay! No code games! Stamping...
I personally would have worded my reply just a little differently, though in scientific terms it's true.

Really TGC et all have this man to thank for probably 90% of the Steam sales of GG!
>{ How to Create Your Own Steam Game in 10 Minutes || GameGuru }<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO3g93BPFCY

Maybe he is due some commission? If only 1% of those buyers had made a little beyond what his video shows. What happens here is that legitimate folk who put time, care and effort into their games are hurt by the wanton asset flips so easily possible in GG. (The remarks make a good point.) Because of the GG reputation, now any GG game released on Steam is pre-judged as being horrible. And it will be harder for people such as myself who try to create a custom game of another genre to get a fair shake, and could see instant push-back at review time regardless. It's bad practice to immediately promote "no programming required." But apparently that's the whole platform GG started under.

Where credit is due, it will help a lot in MAX just to have A> built in custom menu creator-- which we haven't seen an inkling of, and B> talking characters. So we wait for that, AI makeover, water makeover, Terrain, Grass, Sky and weather, etc and more. All that itself will help scenes greatly, but it looks like many more months or years to add to the release time. But at least every single game with the same combat characters and zombie can have a fresh menu design.
In the meantime, after Lee runs out of new features (because they are long term development) to demonstrate each week, maybe a few minutes at the end of the posted video (not live broadcasts) could be inserted with user created content like people showing their own level builds using these tremendous assets or something- for a little variety and interest.
PM
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2021 19:35
one basic thing needed, AI entities who can go on upper levels, the actual way to make an enemy follow the player for example in a building is horrible, imposible to use in gg !
My Portfolio: https://www.mattepainting.be/
My FREE extension: https://www.stop-it.be/
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2021 19:47 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2021 23:53
Quote: "It's bad practice to immediately promote "no programming required." But apparently that's the whole platform GG started under."

But Lee did not say or promote that.
He said " No you will not need to program in GameGuru MAX if you do not want to "
Thats not " No Programming Required " and you missed out the important bit
But ye that proves how misleading it can be posting snippets of comments
With any engine i think its common sense that if you want to do more than the program allows you have to do a bit of custom coding. But we dont know yet how much Max will let us do. Who knows. It could end up being a lot more than we think.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
"But we don't know yet how much Max will let us do. Who knows. It could end up being a lot more than we think."
**High Five** - I agree. Absolutely we don't know yet, and the more we wait the more we get I hope. So >>in the coming weeks<< I would actually be interested in seeing-- more than the basic broadcast news, but user (combined projects) with everything put together so far-- I think it would liven up the channel. Sounds demanding now I read that - sorry, just a thought.

Now **Down Low** - There was no miss. Snippets...? (if you don't want to) is obviously alluded to.
" No you will not need to program in GameGuru MAX (if you do not want to) "
" No programming required (if you don't want to) "

About "programming"; The scripting platform in GG is under-promoted and underrated, and this bit shows that happens even by the developers. But of course Lee just answered the question as the question requested to be answered, and again it's treated as a feature to PROMOTE the software as not requiring scripting knowledge. Oh well. Scripting is a major asset to GG (parts could surely be enhanced), but all the basic and even advanced parts are sitting there, mostly never being even looked at by users. What do you think the percentage of users are that make their own scripts?

If you watch the video I think it demonstrates " No you will not need to program in GameGuru MAX if you do not want to " to a pretty clear amount. And the commentary there covers the subsequent feelings on that.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "in the coming weeks<< I would actually be interested in seeing-- more than the basic broadcast news,"

You will be pleased to know next weeks Stream will move from Assets to Functionality which will continue in the coming weeks

Quote: "Now **Down Low** - There was no miss. Snippets...?"

Yes there was no matter how much ketchup you try to put on it
It really does not matter, Like i said until we know for sure maybe you wont need to. Lee may be spot on.
Perhaps scripting will only be needed for highly advanced work but that's ok we have an AmenMoses

It will be interesting if any of the functionality we see will cover any of this next week

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2021 00:58
Quote: "Perhaps scripting will only be needed for highly advanced work"

True, like most of the engines out there, in fact, it happens in almost all the things we do in the real-life. imho.
We need the hands dirty if we want to play in the big leagues.
Or we can just make a game with the basics plus the stock assets, this is up to each user.

Someone very wise said: it is not about what GGMax can do for you, but what you can do for GGMax.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Bob Humid [2021]
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2021 14:58 Edited at: 24th Jul 2021 21:25
Great stuff that we see here! /.-)

Lee, when will we have more information on how much power the shader-system will give to us? Are graphically stylish and / or abstract esthetics possible? Let´s say something in the stylized lines of:

- SUPERHOT (Basically featuring extreme color-grading and leaving out realistic textures?)
https://superhotgame.com/

- Chains Of Fury (At least considering the 3D-enivronment that looks "3D engine", I know that weapons & explosions seem to look "hand-drawn")
https://www.pcinvasion.com/chains-of-fury-fps-brings-comic-action-breakable-walls-in-q4-2020/

- Void Bastards (In my wishbook we need at least some sort of a proper shader-control to establish that kind of comic-look)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/857980/Void_Bastards/

I am not begging here to include ReShade if it´s not fitting with the clockwerk of the Wicked-engine, BUT: I am voting here to give the users a way to set EXTREME visual parameter-settings, in order to be artistically free enough to make abstract or really crazed up fresh 3D-worlds. This would also HIGHLY benefit to prevent much of the "used" GG Classic-asset-flipping-vibe for GG Max and its future. I am a big fan of software-"abuse" and I think that the programmers of an engine (not meant as insult!) never quite see that coming what people will do with just abusing the parameters a tad.

Another example (Please ignore the ReShade-context, can be something done differently): https://reshade.me/forum/shader-suggestions/221-oil-paint-or-cel-shading-filters

Will we be able to adjust something mad like "Kuwahara filtering" with the on-board-methodolgy of the visual-controlling GUI?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:12:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:12:09