Product Chat / My Experiment - Pushing GG Classic to the... uhhmmm... Max!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2021 21:39
Ayo GG peeps!

After the last few weeks of working hard on my Work in Progress "Resist", I asked myself how big of a level and how many entities I could cram into a level, without GG Classic conking out, just to see how much it is capable of. So over the weekend I decided to do a little experiment. I took some inspiration from STALKER COP's Cordon level map (I think Duchenkuke might enjoy this!), and saw if I could emulate such a large map with so many trees, bushes, buildings, places of interest and stuff in GG Clasic. (6420 entities!)

Now make no mistake, this level is not nearly as detailed or accurate as the Cordon level, but I think for what it's worth, it comes quite close in size, and is a testament to GG Classics capabilities. With a lot of optimization, I was time and again surprised at what GG Clasic could handle, no matter what I keep on adding and throwing at the little old engine, it just keeps on taking the punch like a trooper. Also, I don't think I'm even nearly close to reaching the limit.

Optimization wise - What was very framerate hungry, was two things.

One - the sheer amount of trees. To make things easier on the engine, I took the tree models, imported them in Fragmotion, deleted any animation frames they might have, deleted the highest and lowest LOD Groups and all bones. and kept the medium poly model only I also took a note from Avenging Eagle's excellent texture optimization tutorial (Tutorials & Guides Section), and significantly reduced all the textures, up to a point where they still look cool. It makes a huge difference.

Two - Grass and bushes. To make a level look very cool in GG Classic, you gotta use multi grasses and bushes. Thankfully, our friend Duchenkuke showed us the way how to achieve this! follow his brilliant tutorial on multi grass that can be found again in the Tutorials & Guides Section. One thing that really makes it possible to use a lot of e'm is the brilliant Drawcall optimizer in GG. Make sure that all entitles that you know you going to use a lot have drawcalloptimizer = 1 in it's FPE file, and make sure drawcalloptimizer=1 is enabled in the Setup file.

FPS wise, on my potato of a system:
AMD Ryzen 3 Pro 4200G Processor
Radeon RX 550 GPU
16GB Ram
June 2021 Update - No Problems Experienced yet

I achieved between 45 and 60 FPS with Vsync on. Not bad!

Please download the level and have a go, and tell us what your system specs and FPS performance are. (If you have a real potato of a system, go into the Setup file and change dividetexturesize=1 to 2. It will make your system feel like its running on nitros!

DOWNLOAD - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cT-GdtXhB_gnTVQaK36MMssHNQuCVr8w/view?usp=sharing

A look at the map in Editor

Regarding the Level play, you are a walker that has to survive the zone, hehe! There is no real objectives, just explore the place, search out enemies and toast 'em, and try to avoid the radiation zones and anomalies! Also be on the look out for weapons, ammo and health staches, and when you're tired, follow the roan up to the north and exit the zone.

Please give us all some tips on how to optimise large levels, share experiences, maps etc.

Also, does anybody got a cooking clue as to why my youtube vids' quality suck so much?!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2021 01:29 Edited at: 29th Jun 2021 01:57
GG isn't too bad these days speed-wise, at least if your making an FPS, dependant on what you are doing of course. The map looks like it runs well on your alleged potato system, although, I think you may be exaggerating a little; your system looks fine to me. I'll give the demo a go and see how a first gen Ryzen handles it. Will take awhile to download on my rubbish net, so be patient
Edit- Okay, runs at 60 most the time but drops to about 45 in places. Not sure if it drops lower if it gets busy with NPC's though.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2021 17:13
Hi DVader! Thanks for trying out the map. Yeah, Lee and the team did a great job with making GG running so much faster nowadays. Glad to hear that you get 60 most of the time.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes ran pretty smooth overall, looks good as well. Nice looking level there!
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Tauren
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: PUBG,Conan Exiles,WoW,HoMM III,MoO 2,Master of Orion 2016
Posted: 2nd Jul 2021 10:44
Greetings !
Very interesting work, as well as a nice map in the Stalker style.

On my humble machine (FX-8300 at 3.7GGz, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, Video Radeon RX470 4Gb) I get something like: minimum 39 fps, average 45-57 fps, in some places even 71-75 fps (monitor 75Hz). MSI Afterburner informed me that the maximum use of video memory = 1.8 GB. Сuriously, the GPU load was constantly changing from 20% to 100% every second.

What I also noticed is that I can't just minimize the game, only through the "task manager" - this is probably a flaw in the compiled GG executable file (It might be worth posting about this mini-bug on github... ).

Thanks for the great game example, the results are very encouraging !

Thanks for your articles, explanations and examples. You are the best community I have met.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2021 12:59
Hi Tauren. Thanks for taking the time and the feedback. "Average 45-57 fps", hey that's not bad. Glad to hear from a variety of systems, and it sounds like it will run quite smoothly on most.

Regarding the GPU load constantly changing, yeah I've noticed it too, even when just standing still in places not doing anything, Quite weird indeed. Minimizing the game - I wasn't even aware that GG was supposed to be able to be minimized, hehe!
PM
Tauren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2021 13:25 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2021 13:52
Hi Solar.
I am also working on a map on which I plan a lot of vegetation and thus, after playing your game, morale is increased by +3
About "minimizing" I wrote inaccurately: I meant "switch to the background" to work with another program, for example, see the same Notepad.
Thanks for your articles, explanations and examples. You are the best community I have met.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2021 14:26
@ Solar love trent reznor
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2021 18:24
cool game, I kept around 45 to 55 fps most everywhere.
AMD Phenom x4 9850 2.70 Ghz , 6 Gb ram, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 750, Win 10 x64 Passmark score: 3091

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2021 20:46
@Tauren - Oh haha, I see what you mean. Also good luck with your project and I know it will be awesome!

@science boy - Hi there my fellow industrial/metal listener, Trent Reznor is one of my all time fave musicians of all time!!! Good to see another industrial/metal fan on the forum!

@MK83 - Thank you very much. Glad to hear that you tested the level and had good results performance wise as well.

PM
Tauren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2021 21:56 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2021 00:42
@Solar, thanks! And success to all your projects too !

2 All: I opened a ticket about "switching to background" if anyone has details and remarks, please add your own observations.
I compiled a standard map for the test (Yellow Brick Road.fpm) - the same thing.
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/1223

Edit: Hmmm, I am revoking the ticket - after restarting the Steam standalone works fine and switches to background normally.
Perhaps there is some connection between standalone and steam services.. or maybe not, just a guess.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 23:25:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 23:25:09