3rd Party Models/Media Chat / [STICKY] GameGuru MAX Sound & Music Library DLC - we need your ideas!

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2021 11:35
Hi everyone,

We have been working with a great sound and music supplier for the sounds that will appear in GameGuru MAX. Footfalls, player sounds, environment sounds etc.

Our longer term plan is to work with the sound team to produce an add-on DLC with hundreds of sounds and a range of atmospheric sounds and music. The main focus will be on FPS Shooter sounds because this is the first genre we are developing for MAX.

We felt it would be best to ask the community for their feedback on the sounds they would like to see provided by this DLC. So if you have ideas and a wish list then please post into this thread, it will help define the direction.

Thank you.
Development Director

TGC Team
DragL
Years of Service
User Offline
A few ideas:
Horror ambience/sirens
Upbeat background tracks
horror sounds
PM
terror global
Years of Service
User Offline
soldiers/civilians/police/... voicelines
also, battle field and city ambience sounds
PM
fearlesswee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2021 12:55
It'd be nice to keep them focused rather than a little bit of everything, "quality over quantity" as they say. So for a focus on shooter games it would make sense to have stuff like gunshots, gun foley (ex: magazine insertion), military-themed voice clips, war ambience (ex: distant gunshots and explosions), etc.

Personally I'd like to see more ways to use said sounds too, stuff like per-texture terrain footfall sounds, rustling when walking through tall grass or bushes, etc.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2021 15:12
Great idea.

Ambient sounds from the real world, intense music (ahem) and some ambient stuff too (ahem). Plenty of sounds for enemies getting shot, wounded etc as well, if there are not that many it soon sounds too samey.

Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, EVGA GTX1070ti 8gb Nvidia gfx card.

Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Novation Ultranova Synth, Rolad D05 Synth, Akai MPX8 sample player, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Asus Ryzen 7 Vega 10 gfx chip, Vivobook Laptop, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram.

Cherry audio Voltage Modular Synth, PS-20 Synth, Eight Voice Synth, CS2600 Synth, JU106 Synth.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2021 16:34
the Player walking thru water, snow, wet mud.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2021 19:46
- Interaction sounds (switches, doors, picking up of objects, books etc.)
- Environmental sounds (wind, rain, the sea, fire etc.)
- Footfall sounds based off not just material but footwear (e.g. boots on concrete, shoes on concrete, bare feet on concrete)
- UI sounds (click, beeps etc., for our menus)

Without wishing to side-track the thread too much, if you're considering audio in any way (and it's great that you are), the audio system in Game Guru would benefit from an overhaul. The main things I'd change are:

1. 3D sounds actually being three-dimensional. If a sound is assigned to an object, and that object moves, that sound should move with it.
2. 3D sounds support ogg files, not just wav.
3. Materials currently randomly play one of four footfall sounds when walked on - great! But each only has one impact sound, one 'destroy' sound, and one 'scrape' sound. It would be great if Game Guru allowed multiple impact, destroy and scape sounds and randomly selected noises when called. Bullet impacts in particular would be livened up immeasurably by randomised impact noises and ricochets.
4. Has enemies generate footfall sounds and generic foley of their clothes moving, weapon handling noise every if stood on the spot. Adds to the realism hugely.
5. Enemy shots triggering impact sounds. Impact being pinning down in the firefight and hearing bullets striking the wooden beam you're hiding behind!
6. Game Guru Classic currently has a LUA-based music system that shows some promise, but it would be great to see this expanded and also of use in menus. Wouldn't it be cool to open your game and have the main theme play, but when you click on the options menu, the music seamlessly transitions to a simpler variation perhaps with different instruments? This is quite common in games now, a great example is the recent F1 games (example: https://youtu.be/V63a34PVCmc). Notice how the music subtly changes depending on what menu you're in? I bring this up now because you're thinking about creating music and the music for a system like this needs to be written in a very specific way and there's some backend programming involved. But I hope you'll agree it sounds great!

AE
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2021 20:12 Edited at: 18th Jun 2021 20:12
Great suggestion AE, sound is often not classed as not that important sometimes, if you play the game "Get Even" the sound design in that is superb and terrifying.

Have a look at the video to see what I mean....

Scary content and bad language in the video. Be warned.

Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, EVGA GTX1070ti 8gb Nvidia gfx card.

Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Novation Ultranova Synth, Rolad D05 Synth, Akai MPX8 sample player, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Asus Ryzen 7 Vega 10 gfx chip, Vivobook Laptop, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram.

Cherry audio Voltage Modular Synth, PS-20 Synth, Eight Voice Synth, CS2600 Synth, JU106 Synth.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2021 02:05 Edited at: 28th Jun 2021 03:39
Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention @AE, sometimes i dont notice the stickies

I always reference FPSC, for features I would like in GG. One of them was the push sounds we had for all objects that would grab from a list based on their material ID. For example if you pushed a piece of wood on the ground it would sound like a piece of wood being pushed along the ground.

In games like Fallout and Skyrim (and most AAA games), there are steps further than this, where objects that are dropped make sounds, or when they collide with other objects. Additionally if they are shot or hit with blunt objects they emit different noises. Also (based on the weight and scale) they would make sounds when falling into water.

Briefly was paying a bit of Fallout 3 yesterday where I was interacting with a group of barrels in the scene and I was quite captivated by all the sounds for the various types of ways the barrels could collide with things.

This inspired me to do some testing in GG:

Admittedly all these sounds you hear are direct rips from Fallout 3. Though it would be fantastic if we had different types of sounds similar to these for all the different types of materials we have in GGC/MAX:
metal, wood, dirt/rock, grass, glass, etc. That we can use in our games. Even if its a DLC.
Store Assets - Store Link
Free Assets - Resource Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:04:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:04:32