Product Chat / [SOLVED] General question. Maybe optimization, and a little rant.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

So I have been working on a game in game guru classic for a while now, a very long while and I'm not even close to finishing what I'm working on at the moment and that's ok, taking my time and I feel it's good. Anyways, the reason for this is that I am sort of trying to make an open-world game or a game that has a lot of open-world features. a lot of the things I am working on right now are designs and they take a lot of time obviously but a few things are bothering me.

First, I don't know if this is from my pc or GG itself but GG would be running smoothly when roaming around in entity or terrain mode but the moment I select even the simplest of entities it starts to lag, and I mean badly lag until I place the entity in my scene. here's the thing, if I extract the entity to replace it, it does not at all. I think it happens because it's constantly calling its value from the memory or something but I think it should not happen. I had a pc with 2GB nvidia, 4GB Ram, Core i5 and it didn't do that however testing the game in gg was slow.
My pc now is 16Gb Ram, 6Gb nvidia, core i7. I populated my map with a lot of trees and rocks and to create some designs of rocks, I had to reshape them by scaling, some of them and I pushed a little into the map, as in the ground to give a better look and I don't think that's a good way of utilizing the assets but I still did it and it makes me worry about optimization, a part of releasing the game later but I don't want to mess up now before I reach there and have to go back. should I discover this is absolutely bad and I have to redo everything, I am not going to hahaha, I spent a lot of time twisting the shapes to make it look the way I wanted it.

Another thing I discovered is that it takes way longer to save than before. Could this be because of the many assets I have used?

excuse my rant I had to post this I am trying to make every second count of my time for this.

Thank you very much.

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2021 20:55 Edited at: 26th Feb 2021 20:56
I tend to take the physics off some of the trees except those to keep you on track most players don't notice, so if you have a lot of them and they are close together etc ditch the physics that will save quite a bit of fps. Also any small plants anything pretty much that's for show do the same.
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
XFX R5 2gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
dudeson
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the tip. [quote=I tend to take the physics off some of the trees except those to keep you on track most players don't notice]. I would appreciate any other helpful comment. As for my PC I'm not worried about FPS, the test runs at 60 fps. but others is who I am worried about. And The entity placement lag is a serious pain. I tried in a new level and the lag was not there. I thin the more the entities, the more the lag. ouch.
PM
bluemeenie195
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been playing Duchenkuke's Dark Skies game and he has most if not all the trees physics off.

I think most people won't care about that and it helps big time with the FPS.
PM
dudeson
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright thanks I guess i'll turn some of the trees physics off but still remaining the lag issue while setting an entity for the first time.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Alright thanks I guess i'll turn some of the trees physics off but still remaining the lag issue while setting an entity for the first time.
"

What are your system specs ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2021 00:21
Hey dudeson. I wrote two tutorials on the matter, one is about open world design in GG and what you can and can not do which is here:

LINK

The other one is about optimization in general, its basics but maybe you find something you haven't tried yet:

LINK

-Wolf
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
The lag you are experiencing is because GG is probably cycling through every object when you are in object mode. The bigger more complicated map, the worse it gets. So, one way is to combine objects so there are less of them in total (in a 3D package) it works quite well and also reduces draw calls, which is always a boost.

Obviously reducing detail of any objects that don't need lots of polys will also help (those trees your sinking under the ground might not need the trunks for example. Maybe take some trees out and try to make it look as full with less of them. If you are never planning to allow the player near them, try to block out areas so you can clear trees behind and rely on the few objects blocking the view, rather than loads of trees into the distance.

You can definitely get maps to run better with a bit of organisation. It can be a lot of work though. Wolfs guide should help out as well
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2021 09:35
Also see my tutorial on texture optimisation - you might find that useful.

LINK

AE
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2021 11:26
Quote: "My pc now is 16Gb Ram, 6Gb nvidia, core i7."

Those specs are well enough for GG but the GG editor has a 2gb memory limit, the more you populate your map the more memory you consume the slower the editor gets.
dudeson
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow I am so glad with all of these replies. Definitely have to check out many things and do more research/reading. still got a long way to go. Thanks vader,Wolf and everyone else for your help. much appreciated.

dudeson.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2021 15:37
c
Quote: "Those specs are well enough for GG but the GG editor has a 2gb memory limit, the more you populate your map the more memory you consume the slower the editor gets."

that explains sooo much

so really they need to sort the memory cap in the editor or give a memory choice, does this occur with max?
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2021 16:03
It's a limit on all 32 bit Apps, MAX is 64 bit so shouldn't have a limit if it is coded properly.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2021 17:00
Quote: "It's a limit on all 32 bit Apps, MAX is 64 bit so shouldn't have a limit if it is coded properly."

Amen to that!
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-18 06:11:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-18 06:11:15