Product Chat / This is what happens if you use images or text in your game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2021 21:32 Edited at: 16th Feb 2021 21:44
This is what happens if you use images or text in your game

Just wanted to point this out. If someone plays your game with a different screen size then you, here is what happens. You will have to detect and fix this yourself for each img and text. This is what I am currently working on for my game and should take a long time to fix. id say at least 50 hours. But should be faster as I move though it and get a flow going. Moving all text and imgs to the right click cords will be a trial and error slug fest for each screen res.

My screen:

The players screen thats not using the same size:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2021 22:05
If you are using sprites the coordinates and size values are in % of screen so although different aspect ratios will of course make it look different the screen positions should not change.

With text though there is the issue that at different resolutions the text sizes are different.

You can detect this in the code and for example use text size 3 or really low resolutions, 4 for medium and 5 for high resolutions which will improve matters somewhat.

Ultra-Wide aspect ratios cause a big problem in GG, as they do in most game tbh, in that case you have little choice but to simply put a warning on your game to say not compatible with UW monitors.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Nevin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2021 22:13 Edited at: 16th Feb 2021 22:18
Ya not sure why the watch and the middle img dont seem to be in the right spots.

All imgs use PasteSpritePosition

But any small change is a big one if using x y cords to detect mouse clicks.

But it is what it is, you win some and you lose some.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 02:29:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 02:29:10